1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lmilhan, May 22, 2007.
First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
Next

Last
  1. whirlwind
    Can't wait to see your pics of this!

BobG55 likes this.
  2. JoeDoe
    Hey fellas, those of you who are current owners, what DAC are you using with your MAD? I've dipped my toe in the NOS pool and while the timbrel accuracy is excellent, the soundstage is pretty collapsed.

3. AndyBurns
    Just using an Integra DPS 8.3. I listen to a lot of SACD. NOS tube will take 8-16 hrs to sound decent in my experience. First couple NOS tubes I bought sounded so lifeless out of the box that I thought I had been shipped counterfeits.

4. AndyBurns
    Thank you. But I have to give credit to Dr Lloyd. He suggested the color scheme. Maybe a Blue jays thing going on.

BobG55 likes this.
  5. BobG55
    Photo on 2017-08-24 at 8.59 PM.jpg Photo on 2017-08-24 at 8.52 PM #2.jpg Photo on 2017-08-24 at 8.52 PM #3.jpg Photo on 2017-08-24 at 8.51 PM.jpg Photo on 2017-08-24 at 8.51 PM #2.jpg

My MAD Ear+ HD arrived today and it looks and sounds wonderful. So far the headphone that I like best with it are the HD650. The HD600 & SR325e sound very good but the HD650 is the star of the stable so far. Very happy with the overall sound : listening to “Two against nature” by Steely Dan w/ the HD650 and the sound is clear, clean, detailed with great mids, very good soundstage and very tight bass. Exactly the overall sound I prefer. There’s also a somewhat warm & musical side to the sound.

The only down side is the Telefunken tube which I paid good money for is faulty. There’s a gurgling sound especially in the high notes and that even after I let warm up for an hour without playing any music. Nothing changed. So, I’ll be returning it for a refund (30 day guarantee). The stock Sylvania 5751 isn’t a bad tube at all & I’ve ordered an RCA tube which should arrive early next week. Here are some pictures taken w/ my MacBook Pro laptop camera which explains why they may not be that great.

The picture at the very top shows the lighting effect of a cheap little lamp I bought a couple of years ago at a garage sale for .75 cents. I like it because the lampshade is red and it creates a relaxed atmosphere at night time when I listen to my headphones/ music & browse my laptop including my favourite site, Head-fi of course. :smile:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    whirlwind likes this.
  6. BobG55
    Posted Whirlwind. :smile_phones:

7. AndyBurns
    Congrats! But you can get rid of the lamp now. The glow of the tubes is all you need.

BobG55 likes this.
  8. BobG55

:smile: :thumbsup:

9. whirlwind

Very nice, congrats! It is beautiful.

I am pretty sure Dr. Peppard used the HD6XX series when designing this amp.

BobG55 likes this.
  10. JoeDoe
    Loving the cherry side panels Bob!

BobG55 likes this.
  11. BobG55
    Thanks Joe. Aren't they cool ? Yeah, I really like them also & the total aesthetic look, even the volume knob which is old style. something else I noticed that's different from the previous MAD I owned a couple of years ago : the company logo is super imposed on a square frame like piece of wood with the edges rounded downwards. I prefer this look of craftsmanship to the former metal like plaque. It's a beauty.

Good news also on the tube side of things. I emailed Brent Jessee about the Telefunken making noise and he emailed me back with these instructions : " ...

" ... sounds like there may have been some severe vibration during shipping and a flake of cathode material is causing a partial short in the grid of the tube. You may be able to resolve this. Take the tube out and tap it firmly on a table top. Hold the tube upright and tap it firmly with a wooden pencil. This should knock the flake out where it will cause no more trouble. Burn the tube in for at least another 24 hours and all noise and artifacts should be gone."

Well I followed his instructions except for the 24 hours burn in time. It burned for approx. 6 hours & I got impatient. So on went a Steely Dan cd (I always use a Steely Dan album when judging the sound of any new audio item I've just bought because the production of their albums is the best I've heard) & I crossed my fingers after putting the SR325e(s) over my ears and turned up the volume : I’m standing in front of the amp, the music comes on and my jaw dropped down. I can even hear the vibration sound that follows a guitar chord being picked. That is pretty damn cool & incredible. Brent's instructions worked to say the least. I'm more than happy with all of my set up, to say the least.

Also glad to be using Grados again.

wormsdriver likes this.
  12. JoeDoe
    Great news bob! Congrats!

BobG55 likes this.
  13. BobG55
    Thanks Joe.

Does anyone know if a brand new MAD Ear+ HD needs a certain period/ time of burn in, in order to reach it's full potential ? :thinking: I'm not usually a believer in burn in but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks.

14. whirlwind

Yeah, give it a bit of time for those caps to settle in.....tubes also.
    Great looking amp.

BobG55 likes this.
  15. BobG55
    Thanks Whirlwind, much appreciated.

First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
Next

Last