1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lmilhan, May 22, 2007.
First

Back
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Next

Last
  1. jaywillin

try brent jesse recording supplies, my pair came from him

2. whirlwind

Will do, thanks Jay.

Are yours dead quiet ?

3. jaywillin

absotively

4. whirlwind

Great....thanks.

5. Fireboy
    Patiently waiting as the good Dr. builds me a Ear+ HD Super II Headphone Amplifier. Here's some pics from Lloyd as he builds it.

SuperIIchassispainted.jpg

SuperIIyellowchassisangle.jpg

SuperIIyellowchassisrear.jpg

SuperIIyellowchassis.jpg

SuperIIchassisrear.jpg

SuperIIchassis.jpg

I'll be using this with a pair of HD650's and a pair of NOS GE 5 Star 5751 tubes - As prescribed by the good doctor. [​IMG] 

6. jaywillin

love the color ! congats
    and the good doctor knows his business !

7. Fireboy
    thanks.

Here's the pair of NOS GE 5 Star 5751 tubes - As prescribed by the good doctor

imagecopy.jpg

image.jpg

8. whirlwind
    Congrats Fireboy.....very nice!

I just received a gold lion 12AX7 with gold pins today......the HD650 likes the high gain tube, very much......I have not tried my RS1i with it yet.

Congrats again, nice looking amp.

9. GrindingThud
    Wow, does he bend all his own chassis? Very nice. :)

10. Fireboy
    fortunately I have a pair of Gold Lions to roll in too!

11. Fireboy
    Lloyd just emailed me post wiring pics. It's a beautiful sight! 

SuperIIyellowampunder.jpg

SuperIIyellowchassisamp.jpg

SuperIIyellowPSunder.jpg

SuperIIyellowstackedrear.jpg

SuperIIyellowstacked.jpg

My custom requests were for the same yellow as WHIRLWIND's, I asked for no lettering or logo's. So it's bare!
    I also bought some magic dust Nordost White Lightning - Anniversary interconnects for the (cambridge audio dacmagic 100) to AMP, so the music should be out of this world.  [​IMG][​IMG]
    and an Norne Audio Skoll to connect the HD650's.  [​IMG][​IMG] 

Haven't decided if I'll go vinyl too, probably just stick with the digital feed.

12. whirlwind
    You should be pretty stoked....you are in for some real fun........I could see a pair of grado's in your future   [​IMG]

13. stephanemtl
    How much of an improvement in SQ should I expect from replacing my Little Dot I+ with the Ear+?  I use Grado RS2i cans.

I am fully aware that the Ear + belongs to another league entirely (it is also 4 times the price of the LD). But I am trying to figure out the impossible: is the improvement in SQ really that significant?

14. Fireboy
    Steph, I'll let you know tomorrow. I receive it then. I'll be comparing it to a bellari ha540.

15. whirlwind

It is a very nice step up.  The Grado sound signature stays intact....mids have more detail and the highs keep their detail, but are just buttery smooth.....it takes the sharp edges off so to speak.

After tube burn in you start to hear your music in layers.  Make no mistake about it...it is a very good tube amp, and it has been around for a long time which speaks for itself.....it is not a flavor  of the month so to speak amp.

Is it worth the money over a LD1+......that is for each individual to decide....it is for some, but it isn't for others.

With some tube rolling it has my hD650 sounding the best it has ever sounded , since I bought it.

@ fireboy....congrats......can't wait to hear your impressions

First

Back
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Next

Last