MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Oct 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #991 of 1,382
I am using the dac from my soundcard....Asus Essence STX.

When I say I listened to a cd, I should explain myself better....they are all flac files that I have ripped from my cds.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #992 of 1,382
  I am using the dac from my soundcard....Asus Essence STX.

When I say I listened to a cd, I should explain myself better....they are all flac files that I have ripped from my cds.

Thanks, I was just curious because I have two dacs, the Modi and an old Meridian203. The Modi has a USB input only, but the Meridian has optical and coaxle, and I'm considering replacing the Modi (for the desktop) with something that has an optical output for the MBP. I use the Meridian with my Cd player/MBP, when I'm relaxing on the couch being that it is set up with my home stereo equipment and don't care to move it back and forth to the desk. I prefer the optical because it is silent with no interference, where as the USB sometimes picks up interference from my cell phone.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #994 of 1,382
  Is the MAD Ear+HD the same amp as the MAD Ear+Purist HD?

I believe so, I think the amp has just gone thru some changes, since it was first made.

At least that was my understanding, when having others explain it to me.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #995 of 1,382
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure.
My Ear+HD shipped out today so I should receive it hopefully in a week.
I know you gave some first impressions between the MAD and LD, but after having the MAD for a little while now, have you listened or done more comparisons between the two?
If so, is there a significant difference in sound quality between the MAD and the LD with the RS's. In other words were you blown away? I know we all hear differently, I'm basically asking just to try and get a feel of the difference, and my expectations are very high, just like my anticipation, Thanks.  

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #996 of 1,382
  Thank you, I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure.
My Ear+HD shipped out today so I should receive it hopefully in a week.
I know you gave some first impressions between the MAD and LD, but after having the MAD for a little while now, have you listened or done more comparisons between the two?
If so, is there a significant difference in sound quality between the MAD and the LD with the RS's. In other words were you blown away? I know we all hear differently, I'm basically asking just to try and get a feel of the difference, and my expectations are very high, just like my anticipation, Thanks.

I would say yes, there is a significant difference. I was not blown away , when I first heard it, but I did think it was better than the LD1+.  Now that I have heard it more,  I think it is safe to say that I am blown away.....I love it!

For me, I seem to need awhile with my cans and amps to really let it sink in and to adjust to the difference ....it takes me awhile to really soak it all in.

I feel pretty much the way that most people explained the RS1i & MAD EAR combo to me.....it just sounds magical....great synergy, indeed. Guitars have never, ever, ever sounded better :)

I have not listened to my LD1+ since I have received this amp.

I will say that I did plug my AKG  Q701 into the MAD EAR today, and they sounded nice, but the same magic does not exist as with the RS1i. It does not even compare, IMHO.

I can't say whether the MAD EAR +HD is worth the six or seven times the cost of the LD1+.....but it is significantly better.

I really can not imagine anybody owning and RS1 not really enjoying what they would hear from this amp.

I can feel your anticipation and I can not wait for you to post pics and to hear your impressions.

I think I can honestly say, that if I had to live with this combo from now until doomsday....that I would be very happy.

I may add the PS500 at some point to my RS1i and Q701.....but I don't see this amp going anywhere!

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #997 of 1,382

I would say yes, there is a significant difference. I was not blown away , when I first heard it, but I did think it was better than the LD1+.  Now that I have heard it more,  I think it is safe to say that I am blown away.....I love it!

For me, I seem to need awhile with my cans and amps to really let it sink in and to adjust to the difference ....it takes me awhile to really soak it all in.

I feel pretty much the way that most people explained the RS1i & MAD EAR combo to me.....it just sounds magical....great synergy, indeed. Guitars have never, ever, ever sounded better :)

I have not listened to my LD1+ since I have received this amp.

I will say that I did plug my AKG  Q701 into the MAD EAR today, and they sounded nice, but the same magic does not exist as with the RS1i. It does not even compare, IMHO.

I can't say whether the MAD EAR +HD is worth the six or seven times the cost of the LD1+.....but it is significantly better.

I really can not imagine anybody owning and RS1 not really enjoying what they would hear from this amp.

I can feel your anticipation and I can not wait for you to post pics and to hear your impressions.

I think I can honestly say, that if I had to live with this combo from now until doomsday....that I would be very happy.

I may add the PS500 at some point to my RS1i and Q701.....but I don't see this amp going anywhere!

It also takes me some time to appreciate differences in some cases as well. And as far as what everybody has said about the magic, I'm glad to hear it again. Thanks for sharing my anticipation...lol. As soon as I get it I will post some pics and let Ear+HD burn-in and also absorb the sound for a while and give my impressions. Thanks again, I appreciate your positive reassurance,and glad to hear you are enjoying the combo!!!

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #998 of 1,382
  Is the MAD Ear+HD the same amp as the MAD Ear+Purist HD?

They are basically the same. The only differences I have seen over the years are the quality of the output cap and that very old ones had a resistor at the output that significantly increased the output impedance.

Diego

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #999 of 1,382

They are basically the same. The only differences I have seen over the years are the quality of the output cap and that very old ones had a resistor at the output that significantly increased the output impedance.

Diego

Thank for the info, I've seen the earlier model where people refer them as the Ear+Purist HD, but noticed on the MAD site they are called Ear+HD's, so I was just wondering, thanks.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,000 of 1,382
I just splurged and bought a Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate tube from a fellow head-fier.

I am pretty excited to give it a go.....should be here in a few days.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #1,003 of 1,382
Nice to see the thread resurrected!

One thing is for sure...there is no denying the synergy the  MAD Ear + RS1i  + Rock & Roll has.........what a combo imho.

I am thrilled with it.

I received my Sylvania triple mica black plate tube today.  So tonight I will give the amp a nice long listen.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,004 of 1,382

One thing is for sure...there is no denying the synergy the  MAD Ear + RS1i  + Rock & Roll has.........what a combo imho.

I am thrilled with it.

I received my Sylvania triple mica black plate tube today.  So tonight I will give the amp a nice long listen.

Although I have a bad 12AX7 tube in my new Ear+HD (a new tube is on the way) that is causing intermitting distortion/popping, this amp really woke up the RS1i's, and I've only listened to it for about 4hrs and it needs to burn-in, and a new tube. When it doesn't act up it already has a beautiful, warm but lively natural sound in every way, very smooth so far. I'm glad I made the move and went with the RS1i's and Ear+HD, for sure! I was very hesitant (price wise). I already have the SR80i/325is's and the LD1+/Schiit Magni/Modi, and thought to myself how much more musical can this combo be compared to these combos I already have and enjoy very much? So I had to hear this combo for myself. When it comes to hearing music, you don't hear what others hear so its very hard to make a purchase on other peoples opinions. After reading countless positive posts, I went for it and I'm so glad (already) I went with this combo. From the little time I've spent with this combo, I really can't explain the musical enjoyment that I'm hearing so far. Thanks to everyone who recommended this beautiful combo, you were all 100% right with your opinions. Thanks again!

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,005 of 1,382
  Although I have a bad 12AX7 tube in my new Ear+HD (a new tube is on the way) that is causing intermitting distortion/popping, this amp really woke up the RS1i's, and I've only listened to it for about 4hrs and it needs to burn-in, and a new tube. When it doesn't act up it already has a beautiful, warm but lively natural sound in every way, very smooth so far. I'm glad I made the move and went with the RS1i's and Ear+HD, for sure! I was very hesitant (price wise). I already have the SR80i/325is's and the LD1+/Schiit Magni/Modi, and thought to myself how much more musical can this combo be compared to these combos I already have and enjoy very much? So I had to hear this combo for myself. When it comes to hearing music, you don't hear what others hear so its very hard to make a purchase on other peoples opinions. After reading countless positive posts, I went for it and I'm so glad (already) I went with this combo. From the little time I've spent with this combo, I really can't explain the musical enjoyment that I'm hearing so far. Thanks to everyone who recommended this beautiful combo, you were all 100% right with your opinions. Thanks again!

That is the exact same way I feel Joseph....the synergy is just magical and something special...I thought you would really dig the combo....but you can never be sure what someone else likes.

I just received another tube today....if need need to borrow a tube until yours arrives from Canada...just pm me your address and I will put the sovtek 5751 in the mail to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back