MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #616 of 1,381

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Joined
Sep 13, 2002
Posts
4,882
Likes
13
I think you'll like it; I know the HD is a great sounding amp. It's a nice, straightforward design, and works very well with no drama.
 
Apr 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #617 of 1,381

JeepnHeel

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 10, 2010
Posts
8
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll like it; I know the HD is a great sounding amp. It's a nice, straightforward design, and works very well with no drama.


Thanks-- good to hear. I was initially looking at a Little Dot MKIII, but decided to go for a bit more versatility, as I'll be using both Grado's and Senn's eventually. I should have known then that I'd have trouble just going a 'bit' more, but such is life...

Your handle is actually one of the first tracks to be played through it (have a mix of old/new Jimi vinyl at the top of the proverbial stack).
 
Apr 23, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #618 of 1,381

SemiAudiophile

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Posts
2,086
Likes
902
I received the Raytheon windmill getter black plates last week and had a couple days to run it in and listen. The impression I got from listening to them in those two days were that it has a very classic tube sound to them. Really smooth with a lot of meat to them. Maybe I had too high expectations of them or didn't burn them in long enough, but I wasn't far too impressed with them. It seems to be pretty refined but lacks the detail compared to one of my all time favorites, the GE triple mica black plates.

My top rankings are so far with the Ear+ HD:
1. Sylvania Gold Brand triple mica black plate - best soundstage, excellent control, 3D image, refinement, detail, smoooth
2. GE triple mica black plate (regular, not 5 star) - well rounded, good at everything. not too warm, slightly sweet.
3. Sylvania Gold Brand gray plate - good refinement, lush, a bit on the warmer side, smooth.
4. Raytheon windmill getter black plate - refined, classic tubey sound, smooth
5. Tung Sol 12ax7 gold pin reissue - nice air and detail, clear.
6. the rest various tubes not worth mentioning...
 
Apr 23, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #619 of 1,381

snejk

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Posts
697
Likes
36
Thanks for the impression and rankings Semi.

After getting the T1 I sometimes feel that some voices are too dark, or maybe full is a better word. I only have two 5751 tubes, the Sylvania Gold Gray plate and Groove tubes 5751 tube. Both exhibit this but the GT to a lesser extent.

When I got the T1 I tested both with my MAD amp and my Naim Headline (SS) and quickly prefered the MAD. But recently I tried the Naim again and while some "magic" gets lost the bass control is slightly improved and the above mentioned darkness/fullness is reduced.

Which tube do you guys think has the greatest chance of reducing this darkness in voices?
 
Apr 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #620 of 1,381

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Joined
Sep 13, 2002
Posts
4,882
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepnHeel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks-- good to hear. I was initially looking at a Little Dot MKIII, but decided to go for a bit more versatility, as I'll be using both Grado's and Senn's eventually. I should have known then that I'd have trouble just going a 'bit' more, but such is life...

Your handle is actually one of the first tracks to be played through it (have a mix of old/new Jimi vinyl at the top of the proverbial stack).



I have both cans as well, and they both are very nice with the Mapletree. I don't think I could pick only one, they each have their strengths.

I'd say "sorry about your wallet"- but if you have a tube amp on the way and already have some Grados and Senns, then you are plenty familiar with the side effects already.
evil_smiley.gif
Don't forget to enjoy the music, too!
 
Apr 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #621 of 1,381

Trees

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Posts
26
Likes
0
Got my EAR+HD today. Just WOW! A major upgrade from the EF-1 I was using previously.

My HF-2 really shines with this amp. My HD650 is better with the EAR than with any other amp I have used, but the 650 still seems dull and lifeless compared to the HF-2. Not planning on rolling tubes, and want to upgrade anyway. So I'll replace the 650.

Question: Replace the HD650 with the T1, HD800, or HE-5LE? Or others?

I've been looking through the various threads and for this amp, my BDP-83SE source and my listening tastes, it seems like the T1 has a slight edge over the HD800 and the HE-5LE.

Budget: <$1,500 USD.

Listen to anything except rap. Latest CDs played: Dire Straights, Sultans of Swing; Rebecca Pidgeon, Retrospective; Alison Kraus & Union Station, Live; Head-Fi Sampler, Hi-rez cut to DVD-A; Lady Antebellum, Lady Antebellum; ELVIS 30 #1s; Metallica, Metallica; Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley.

Thanks for any advice,
Trees
 
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #622 of 1,381

SemiAudiophile

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Posts
2,086
Likes
902
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impression and rankings Semi.

After getting the T1 I sometimes feel that some voices are too dark, or maybe full is a better word. I only have two 5751 tubes, the Sylvania Gold Gray plate and Groove tubes 5751 tube. Both exhibit this but the GT to a lesser extent.

When I got the T1 I tested both with my MAD amp and my Naim Headline (SS) and quickly prefered the MAD. But recently I tried the Naim again and while some "magic" gets lost the bass control is slightly improved and the above mentioned darkness/fullness is reduced.

Which tube do you guys think has the greatest chance of reducing this darkness in voices?



I think the GE TMBP's are a safe bet, they sound "clearer". They're like the Sylvania Gold gray plate but not as warm. The Sylvania gray plate are euphonic and lush but I find them to be overly warm with most headphones I pair them with. I'm not suprised that you get better bass control on your Naim. SS usually exhibit tighter bass, clearer sound.
 
Apr 25, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #624 of 1,381

wlvca

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 29, 2010
Posts
174
Likes
40
Location
Tucson, AZ
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't really find it around, if anyone could redirect me, comment on this.

How does the Ear+ HD Super II and Ear+ HD differ? Worth the upgrade?



I am going to order the Super II. The price difference is only $100.00 based on the Super II's intro price of $800.00.

Seems like a good deal to me for the separate power module and a much better value than the Woo 6 SE.

Caveat: Haven't heard either Mapletree so this is speculation on my part based on reading responses here. Not too many Super II's delivered yet.
 
May 9, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #627 of 1,381

jasont

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Posts
15
Likes
0
Hmm, my post announcing the arrival of my MAD Ear+ kit went into limbo somewhere so I'll add it here.  I apologize if it shows up at some point and this becomes redundant.
 
I finally got my MAD Ear+ HD kit.  I've never done anything like this before.  Apparently all this stuff
 

 
becomes this when I'm done with it.
 

 
Yikes.
 
Phase 1
 
Here's what the end of Phase 1 looks like.
 

 

 

 
The instructions are well done and easy to follow.  So far it's been pretty straight forward but I haven't had to solder yet
smile.gif

 
May 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #628 of 1,381

robert

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Posts
633
Likes
10
If you haven't soldered in a while, or ever, go to Rat Shack and pick up a few terminal strips and some wire that's the same gauge (I don't recall off hand), and practice.  Heat the joint, then add the solder.  The joint should be shiny, not matte.  Matte (fuzzy) is cold, which is not good.  Cut to lengths so that the wires run parallel to the sides of the chassis, with 90 degree bends. 
 
May 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #629 of 1,381

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,981
Likes
4,263
Location
Toronto, Canada


Quote:
If you haven't soldered in a while, or ever, go to Rat Shack and pick up a few terminal strips and some wire that's the same gauge (I don't recall off hand), and practice.  Heat the joint, then add the solder.  The joint should be shiny, not matte.  Matte (fuzzy) is cold, which is not good.  Cut to lengths so that the wires run parallel to the sides of the chassis, with 90 degree bends. 


And pick up a copy of IPC-A-610 and J-STD-001
wink.gif
. Everything you need to know about assembly and soldering.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top