Mad Dogs vs. SRH 840 vs. DT770 for Rock/Metal.
Jan 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xtron2112

100+ Head-Fier
Here we go again...  I got the M80s and they sound very, very, good. Unfortunately, they just aren't comfortable for me.  My head and face literally twitch when I wear them.  I am looking for closed over-the-ear/circumarual 'phones that suit my music needs (Prog Rock/Metal/Classic Rock i.e. Yes, Metallica, Dream Theater, Pantera, King Crimson, Queensryche, Beatles, Led Zeppelin) preferably $300 or less but I can push it a bit higher if I have to.  Soundstage (whatever sound signature you think best for the music above is fine) and detachable cables are no longer a concern.  I'm looking to spend as little on an amp as possible.  Amp'll be plugged in to an iPod Touch 4.  

ATM I am looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900 (it's dirt cheap on Amazon ATM) and the Mad Dogs.  I am open to any other suggestions as well.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
Here we go again...  I got the M80s and they sound very, very, good. Unfortunately, they just aren't comfortable for me.  My head and face literally twitch when I wear them.  I am looking for closed over-the-ear/circumarual 'phones that suit my music needs (Prog Rock/Metal/Classic Rock i.e. Yes, Metallica, Dream Theater, Pantera, King Crimson, Queensryche, Beatles, Led Zeppelin) preferably $300 or less but I can push it a bit higher if I have to.  Soundstage (whatever sound signature you think best for the music above is fine) and detachable cables are no longer a concern.  I'm looking to spend as little on an amp as possible.  Amp'll be plugged in to an iPod Touch 4.  

ATM I am looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900 (it's dirt cheap on Amazon ATM) and the Mad Dogs.  I am open to any other suggestions as well.

Heya,

Mad Dogs, easily. With a simple Fiio E11 or JDS Labs CMOY.

The PRO900 is all mid-bass bloat and super hot treble. If you like the sound of the M80, you will probably feel mauled by the PRO900. The PRO750 would be more suitable, or even the HFI 780, if you wanted to try Ultrasone. Other headphone options would be a Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm, AKG K167, AKG K550, Shure SRH840, AudioTechnica A900X, AudioTechnica A700X, Sony MDR1R, Sennheiser Momentums, and Logitech UE 6000.

Very best,

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 19
*sigh* well, the local Guitar Center doesn't have any demo models, leaving me no closer to an answer than earlier.
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 19
I firmly love my pair of Pro 900's, but I wouldn't recommend them as a first choice for metal. It's not that they do terribly, but I can imagine someone being disappointed if that's all they listened to.

That said, I do love them for The Megas. Yes, I know, complete nerd. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 19
Dt770 is brighter and has more pronounced bass than the Mad Dogs.  I prefer the sound of the Mad Dogs as they handle music better and more balanced, but the Beyer's should be easier to drive and cheaper.  If you can get the DT770's from someplace with a hassle free return policy I'd try them out and see if they suit your taste.

Btw Khorne has no sway in this sector. 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Alright, I think I'm going to get the Mad Dogs.  But, I will ask- Do I NEED an amp to run these through an iPod Touch 4th gen? 

Heya,

They're 50ohms and sensitive (98db/mw). They will run from your ipod.

They benefit from amplification, in the form of additional current. I think it has become over-stated the need for amplification here with these phones. I think people think every ortho automatically needs a nuclear power plant, and it's not true.

Very best,

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 19
Alright, I think I'm going to get the Mad Dogs.  But, I will ask- Do I NEED an amp to run these through an iPod Touch 4th gen? 

I always hate to say "needs an amp" but they won't quite get to ear splitting levels (ear damaging, yes) with the touch 4g (I have both). I started out with a Pico slim, and needed a bit more oomph. I picked up an ibasso PB2 which works well. I think the ibasso p4 would work well, and it shows up used at a relative bargain once in a while.

An amp in this case does help the overall sound quality and enjoyment.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for all the help guys!  I'm pulling the trigger on the MDs w/Dog Pads.  I'll try them unamped first.  If results aren't satisfactory (power-wise) compared to my M80s, I'll probably grab the E11.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 19
I know out of my clip that they definitely need more power. But I dont think they're terribly hard to drive. Sure an ipod will drive them to a good level, but I would advise at least some sort of amplification to get the most out of them. Grats on your purchase though, I love my Mad Dogs more and more each day. Just be prepared to get some high quality music since they are very revealing of poor recordings from my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back