Mad Dogs too good to be a gym headphone?
Sep 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thrilled with my HE500 and am totally in love with the ortho sound. I'm wondering if Mad Dogs could work as a gym/portable can as long as I shortened the cable. Thoughts?

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I'm thrilled with my HE500 and am totally in love with the ortho sound. I'm wondering if Mad Dogs could work as a gym/portable can as long as I shortened the cable. Thoughts?

I highly doubt it. The Fostex T50RPs are pretty bulky, and even with the headband mod on the Mad Dogs, I don't see them staying on your head very long. You could try a "wireless" mod where you have a super short cable hooked to a iPod shuffle or Sansa Clip or something. The problem with that is you won't be getting the most out of the Mad Dogs. 

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it. It's fairly large, doesn't sit well, not to mention you'll probably sweat something fierce. I would recommend something simple, like the Koss KSC75 for the gym or something...I use mine when exercising and can't complain much.

Hope this helps!

PS: I suppose if you're just doing weight lifting, it "could" work...still wouldn't recommend it though...

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

I would suggest a Beyer DT1350, or if cost is a problem, a Senn. HD25-II. The split headband is what you'll need. All of my headphones have norrmal headbands and they fall off.

Not to mention the 1350s probably sound better than the Mad Dogs and are easier to drive..

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 7
The headphones people are wearing to the gym are getting bigger and bigger. I can't stand to have a big can on while working out. IEM or nothing.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi...  I just came across this, sorry for the slow response.

I would not use this in the gym, they aren't made for that kind of use and would probably be a hassle.  They are portable, in the sense they are really rugged and can be put in laptop packs, etc.  But they don't fold flat, so if space is super premium they're not your best bet.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Dr. Dre "Beats"  
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Denon Exercise Freak - check them out

I personally use my Bose Triport for full headphones for gym. They work for a couple of reasons. (Don't shoot me down for this).

Simple, sleek design, very lightweight. Good isolation and driven by any DAP. Clamping force is decent - not too tight, but not loose at all. Lift weights or plyo - it works.

They have an accentuated mid-bass kick, little to no sub-bass. Although it works out fine at the gym - my D2000's sub-bass doesn't always work out the best at the gym due to all the other noise. Sometimes with the gym's own speakers. Human sensitivity-frequency curve.

The mids are definitely up front - which works nicely with other people talking near you.

They could be an option if you can find them cheap, the main reason for recommending them. They look really flimsy, but my pair has still put up with me for the past 3 years. It just works in the gym.

Sound wise, they are OK and their signature actually helps them in a gym environment. When I'm tired of wearing the heavy HE-500, or D2000, I usually go the Bose for comfort and they sound okay. Although at home I use them only to watch shows and not music. Terrible for music in comparison to my other phones. Although at the gym, it works out.

So if you want something cheap, you can find them locally for sure. No waiting time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back