"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #5,703 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah, we'd make way more money selling new phones and obsoleting the old designs vs upgrades, which truly are break even.  

I have some customers who own dozens of phones, and others who worked overtime and saved for months to buy these headphones, so I take my obligation to deliver value very seriously. The price is low compared to summit gear, but that doesn't mean this isn't an important investment for a lot of people.  Thus I want to make this a special, lasting product, not a launch point to upsell.

Is our approach unique?  I think so.  Perfect?  Doubt it.  I can't solve global shipping costs, yet, so it's more of a burden for overseas customers.  But I get this, and hopefully we'll address it in the EU, then other locations over time.  Patience will be appreciated!

In the meantime, anyone with other ideas is always welcome to send me a PM.  I have no monopoly on good ideas, that's for sure.  

And yes, I promise the frequency of updates will decrease; the pads are not going to change, and they are the main driver for other changes (plus I have the new balanced phones to get out the door!).

I'm am an overseas customer (Italy). I bought Mad dogs and then Alpha pads and in all circumstances I experienced
     great kindness and efficiency of Dan's customer service. 
     But here another topic is on the table,  it seems that some people don't like his trade policy.
     In short: I bought my first stereo in 1972, many other purchases  came after, and I'd like that all other brands had the same
     honesty and transparency of Dan. 

May 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #5,704 of 6,388
Quote:
I've decided they're not for me.  They'll be up in the F/S section soon.  The journey continues....

Heya,

Can you let us know what didn't you like?
I don't think you have spent more than a day with them and for these headphones particularly you need more time to "get into" their particular signature... (which is why I and some others have mentioned that at first they could be underwhelming and after a while they seem to 'wake' up).

But, seeing that you have the Beyers in your pic, maybe you miss a bit of sparkle? (or slam?)
Impressions are definitely welcomed. :wink:

Thanks.

Very best,

May 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #5,706 of 6,388
Brief impressions:  they were claustrophobic.  I've got DT 770s and DT 880s, and it was like the Mad Dogs tried to combine traits from both.  Detail and instrument separation was good, but they seemed quite crowded, like there was too much music trying to fit inside the presentation.  I guess kind of a collapsed soundstage kind of a thing.  It's possible I wasn't feeding them too well, but I've got a Purity Audio KICAS running from my Audinst HUD-MX1, and I think it's pretty decent; I'd like to avoid going down the path of constant amp/DAC upgrades.  My Dt 880s have fantastic clarity and soundstage, and I sometimes wish for a little more bass, but if I want that, I can switch to my DT 770s.  The bass of the 770s isn't quite as tight as the Mad Dogs, and the tonality is a little off, although I feel the presentation of the DT 770s is a little cleaner and more spacious than the Mad Dogs, perhaps. And if I want something closer to neutrality, I've got the DT 880s for a purer, more reference-like tone.  So I think I've got my bases covered.  The Mad Dogs were quite comfortable, but there was a fair amount of clamp.  I think I'll just stick with the Beyer boys for a while and invest in some more music:).

May 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #5,707 of 6,388
Okay...thanks for sharing. The MD does have a very good sound stage for a closed hp. Impressive really, but an open hp will give you a better sense of space. 

May 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5,708 of 6,388
Quote:
Brief impressions:  they were claustrophobic.  I've got DT 770s and DT 880s, and it was like the Mad Dogs tried to combine traits from both.  Detail and instrument separation was good, but they seemed quite crowded, like there was too much music trying to fit inside the presentation.  I guess kind of a collapsed soundstage kind of a thing.  It's possible I wasn't feeding them too well, but I've got a Purity Audio KICAS running from my Audinst HUD-MX1, and I think it's pretty decent; I'd like to avoid going down the path of constant amp/DAC upgrades.  My Dt 880s have fantastic clarity and soundstage, and I sometimes wish for a little more bass, but if I want that, I can switch to my DT 770s.  The bass of the 770s isn't quite as tight as the Mad Dogs, and the tonality is a little off, although I feel the presentation of the DT 770s is a little cleaner and more spacious than the Mad Dogs, perhaps. And if I want something closer to neutrality, I've got the DT 880s for a purer, more reference-like tone.  So I think I've got my bases covered.  The Mad Dogs were quite comfortable, but there was a fair amount of clamp.  I think I'll just stick with the Beyer boys for a while and invest in some more music:).

Your impressions are exactly how I thought you would feel about the Mad Dogs coming from the DT880, especially the clarity comparison. Like I said, many people view clarity as open and dry. Typically words such as thick and lush are thrown around describing orthos, and that isn't exactly the case, but I understand someone describing it that way. The Mad Dogs, overall is a more balanced headphone than both DT880 and DT770, but it seems like you either haven't given it enough time or just don't like the characteristics of the MD's. The change would be quite drastic, but as I said many people won't like the MD's for the same reasons as you, and that is ok. On to the next... if you haven't tried them yet, I would recommend trying out a pair of AKG K702's Annies or Q701 for a cheaper solution, they seem like something you maybe searching for. 

May 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #5,709 of 6,388
Okay...thanks for sharing. The MD does have a very good sound stage for a closed hp. Impressive really, but an open hp will give you a better sense of space. 

DT660 for example gives a great sense of space for a closed hp, actually better than MD. The sounds is clearer too. I quite agree with marximus description of the MD sound.

May 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #5,710 of 6,388
I have been using my HeadRoom Micro Amp in place of my O2 amp over the last few days with my Mad Dogs (3.0 Alphas), and I must say it works very well.  The amp's crossfeed is enabled and I can use either the low or medium gain depending on the volume level of the music.  This amp has tons of power available for any headphones, and the output impedance is rated at 0.5Ω.  Not trying to make this into a sales pitch, but these amps are now basically on clearance.  The amp is on the warm side, and it pairs well with the Mad Dogs.

Feeding this amp with my audioengine D1 DAC.

May 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,711 of 6,388
Just a reminder that a video on adjusting clamp force is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtaO5zRAAE   Reducing clamp force is simply the opposite procedure of increasing.  

A few people who felt the phones were "claustrophobic" reduced clamp force and found a lighter touch more pleasing.  Just don't reduce the force to the point the pads don't seal, as that causes a reduction in bass.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #5,712 of 6,388
I've almost pulled the trigger on the Micro Amp a number of times in the past month or two, especially in light of their sale/clearance.  An MX1 and a Micro Amp would make for a very nice compact desktop system, I should think.  I've almost pulled the trigger on Q701s, too, but I'm under the impression that their bass would be inferior (in terms of impact/quantity) to the DT 880s.  I owned some recabled K701s a few years ago, and they sounded great, but they were recabled, so I think that was the difference.  Q701s are about the only headphones I haven't tried in this price range and under:p.  Also thought about K550s, but concerned about getting a proper fit.

May 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #5,713 of 6,388
Quote:
I've almost pulled the trigger on the Micro Amp a number of times in the past month or two, especially in light of their sale/clearance.  An MX1 and a Micro Amp would make for a very nice compact desktop system, I should think.  I've almost pulled the trigger on Q701s, too, but I'm under the impression that their bass would be inferior (in terms of impact/quantity) to the DT 880s.  I owned some recabled K701s a few years ago, and they sounded great, but they were recabled, so I think that was the difference.  Q701s are about the only headphones I haven't tried in this price range and under:p.  Also thought about K550s, but concerned about getting a proper fit.

Although I can't say, as it has been a while since I have heard the Q701, but from what I remember the K702 Annie has better resolution, bass response, and presentation. I would try them out if you can, or take a chance on them. If you liked the K701, you probably will like the K702 even more.

May 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #5,714 of 6,388
I hear very good things about the Annie. Marximum...you might try to pm mad lust envy as he's owned and really seems impressed with them. They do seem to be what you're looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back