"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #5,672 of 6,388
I don't own mad dogs, I'm using my own mods. So I don't know if the mad dogs are more or less efficient than mine. With mine and the E17 I'm using high gain and I am still in the 25-30 area on the volume, out of 60 most of the time. So the E17 still has good enough power. I cant tolerate the volume much higher, 35 out of 60 is about as high as I've ever taken it for a very short time. 

May 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5,673 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't own mad dogs, I'm using my own mods. So I don't know if the mad dogs are more or less efficient than mine. With mine and the E17 I'm using high gain and I am still in the 25-30 area on the volume, out of 60 most of the time. So the E17 still has good enough power. I cant tolerate the volume much higher, 35 out of 60 is about as high as I've ever taken it for a very short time. 

Power and loudness are very different things though.

May 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #5,675 of 6,388
Quote:

EQ may not be a practical option for everyone in all situations.   I'm frequently using MOG or Spotify on a Logitech Squeezebox Touch at work, where I currently use my Mad Dogs, but there is no option to EQ.  When I can EQ, the Mad Dogs sound even better to me.

I'm not responding to feed into the whole argument, but there IS a equalizer for Spotify now.  It's called Equalify and it works well. 

Carry on gents........................

May 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #5,680 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey guys I'm about to order a set of Mad Dogs and need help selecting a portable amp.

From my posts here I was recommended JDS' O2 amp, which is more in my budget, but less portable (looks rather large).  Dan recommended the iBasso D6, which is more portable and includes a DAC but less in my budget.  My budget is between $100-300, but the less the better...I need a good mix of price, quality, and portability.

In terms of how/where I'd be using the headphones, I will use them more on-the-go while on the train, walking to class etc, etc.  For home usage, I'm thinking I can use my Marantz PM5003 for now.

I listen to a pretty diverse set of music from The Beatles, to Metallica, to Radiohead, to Bhangra music, to Daft Punk, to acoustic John Mayer, etc.  Definitely more rock orientated, but I'd like something that can handle a wide variety of music.  A good soundstage is also important.

Anyway just want to get your guys opinions, anything additional you recommend?...or should I go ahead and take Dan's advice (he said to ignore Fiio).  All help is appreciated!

I'd recommend the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II with the 209 opamp. I preferred its sound over the O2/ODAC combo, though the Leckerton doesn't provide as much volume to the Mad Dog as the O2/ODAC. That said, it still outputs more than enough volume on most modern music. Albums with lower gain might need the Leckerton to be turned up all the way. The Leckerton is much more portable than the O2/ODAC!

I can't comment on the iBasso, but you can't go wrong with the Leckerton.

May 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5,681 of 6,388
Yep the Leckerton is awesome. I was using it with my HE-500s for a while and it drove them surprisingly well.

May 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5,682 of 6,388
Yep the Leckerton is awesome. I was using it with my HE-500s for a while and it drove them surprisingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back