"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 2, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #5,641 of 6,388
There are over 375 pages of posts. I doubt that a person could go more than two pages without seeing someone compliment Dan on his exemplary customer service. 

That extends to as far as the US and that's it. He doesn't even offer the 15 day trial to international customers so it's easy for you yanks to he's got great customer service.

May 2, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #5,642 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm going to attempt to change the subject before things get out of hand - I can smell the animosity coming through this thread all the way over here in Saigon. What amp are you using with you using with your Mad Dogs? I've been doing a bit of research and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick up an Aune T1, but I'd love to hear how different amps/dacs irregardless of price affect the MDs. Has anybody's jaw dropped after using them with a particular amp? Have any been cringe-worthy?

Although fairly efficient, the MD is an ortho and heavily modded, of course, and it needs juice to sounds it's best. The best amp that I've heard it with is the lyr. It also sounds great from an Asgard2 and 1. And it sounds pretty darn good from my vintage receiver. 
size]

Most decent/good desktop amps will pair well with this hp. The lyr does not overpower the MD in any way. 

May 2, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #5,643 of 6,388
While I am happy with my Mad Dogs, if I had known there was going to be an update less than a month after I purchased them I would have waited. As it is I took a leap of faith dropping $350 (inc shipping) on these as there was no return policy to cover me if I decided they weren't for me.

I realize that was my risk to take and I didn't have to - I'm just saying it would be nice to have the option. Shipping between the states and Aus is relatively safe and insured if you use the right service so I don't understand the restriction to US only.
Quote:

Although fairly efficient, the MD is an ortho and heavily modded, of course, and it needs juice to sounds it's best. The best amp that I've heard it with is the lyr. It also sounds great from an Asgard2 and 1. And it sounds pretty darn good from my vintage receiver. 
size]

Most decent/good desktop amps will pair well with this hp. The lyr does not overpower the MD in any way. 

I'm enjoying my Mad Dogs through a Meier Corda Daccord and Corda Classic.

May 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #5,645 of 6,388
Best amp for the Maddogs in my opinion is a vintage amplifier with no resistors in the headphone out. I have tried them with different vintage Pioneer, Kenwood, Sherwood and Onkyo.

For some reason, it never sounds bad with any of them. They were all from the 1975–1982 vintage and had 40W and above.

May 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #5,646 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm going to attempt to change the subject before things get out of hand - I can smell the animosity coming through this thread all the way over here in Saigon. What amp are you using with you using with your Mad Dogs? I've been doing a bit of research and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick up an Aune T1, but I'd love to hear how different amps/dacs irregardless of price affect the MDs. Has anybody's jaw dropped after using them with a particular amp? Have any been cringe-worthy?

It's not jaw dropping but still sounds very good for me.
Chào bạn :)

May 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #5,650 of 6,388
Quote:
That extends to as far as the US and that's it. He doesn't even offer the 15 day trial to international customers so it's easy for you yanks to he's got great customer service.

Well, Dan's business is a U.S. business, and a fairly new/small one at that (relatively). I'm not sure what else you would expect at this point.

May 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #5,651 of 6,388
I would also like to take a moment to remind people that there's this thing out there called EQ that will let you adjust the sound of the MD if you're not entirely satisfied with it (and the T50RP does respond well enough to it). Upgraded tuning isn't the only way!

May 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #5,652 of 6,388
Just got mine in the mail.  I haven't showered since last night, so I won't test them sonically until later, but they smell *fantastic*.  Mmm, leather.  They also have the feel of a high-quality product.  Looking forward to a late night tonight!

May 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #5,653 of 6,388
I would also like to take a moment to remind people that there's this thing out there called EQ that will let you adjust the sound of the MD if you're not entirely satisfied with it (and the T50RP does respond well enough to it). Upgraded tuning isn't the only way!

Hmm I guess I can just eq my MD's to sound like a pair of LCD's. Damn, I never thought of that! Pure genius!

May 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #5,655 of 6,388
Not sure if that was asked before but is there a FQ graph comparing different versions.
So far I've only seen this comparison between Dog and Alpha, not different revisions of Alpha,
Red is Dog, blue is Alpha (revision?), green is LCD-2.2 (I assume)
https://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

Also it's not clear how to order the upgrade, the option is not available on web site yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back