"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,681 of 6,388
Quote:

[size=10.0pt]Thanks. So it sounds like I should be ok since I was able to get the 880’s to an acceptable level with the gain set to high on the Verza.  [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I really liked what I heard from the dt880’s and almost bought them but I want to hear the MD’s first.  I will be using them for mostly metal.  I like bass but from what I read a little eq and the bass boost on the Verza should satisfy that need.  Plus I have the m100s when I want to go overkill.  They just don’t do it for me with some of my metal.[/size]

Honestly (and the way I like tp hear metal/hard-rock) I feel the MDs lack that extra bite in the treble to make such music fully engaging. 
Unless the Verza has a very forward sound, the resulting sound might be too polite.

Again, that's my preference for this particular genre. I actually like the HE-4 for hard rock and metal because it is really fast and slightly forward in the treble (yes, it is bright/airy but also warmish, like all the Hifimans, YMMV). It's not the best pairing for the other genre and I would reach my 5LEs and Mad Dogs more often.

You might well fall for all the goods the Mad Dogs have to offer (details, balance, dark(ish) voicing, ...). One of the very strong point of the MDs is that they are both resolving and absolutely non-sibilant. This might suit poorely recorded Metal song and make them listenable :wink:

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4,682 of 6,388
^^ I agree. The soundstage is very good for a closed hp, sounding more like an open hp while still giving the isolation of a closed hp.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #4,683 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm confused, am I the only one getting a large soundstage out of these for gaming and live recordings? Have heard a lot of people saying they have a small stage but to my ears they compare to many open phones?

I think these are my absolute favorite for live recordings. There's some kind of voodoo mrspeakers magic! 

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #4,684 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm confused, am I the only one getting a large soundstage out of these for gaming and live recordings? Have heard a lot of people saying they have a small stage but to my ears they compare to many open phones?

I didn't really compared them extensively but I don't feel them lacking compared to my Hifimans (which are not T1 or HD800, I reckon).
The presentation is different but all in all and for closed HP, the Mad Dogs have a very good soundstage :wink:. The width is good, depth is excellent and so is layering.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #4,685 of 6,388
One thing that bothered me a bit on the 880 was the treble. I had to eq it down a little bit because it was too intense. How would you say they compare to the 880 in that dept?

Honestly (and the way I like tp hear metal/hard-rock) I feel the MDs lack that extra bite in the treble to make such music fully engaging. 
Unless the Verza has a very forward sound, the resulting sound might be too polite.

Again, that's my preference for this particular genre. I actually like the HE-4 for hard rock and metal because it is really fast and slightly forward in the treble (yes, it is bright/airy but also warmish, like all the Hifimans, YMMV). It's not the best pairing for the other genre and I would reach my 5LEs and Mad Dogs more often.

You might well fall for all the goods the Mad Dogs have to offer (details, balance, dark(ish) voicing, ...). One of the very strong point of the MDs is that they are both resolving and absolutely non-sibilant. This might suit poorely recorded Metal song and make them listenable :wink:

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #4,686 of 6,388
Anyone here experience something happen to the sound with the Dog Pad after sometimes?
My Dog Pad is now very soft after I bought it in September last year, and it does affect sound quality somehow. I hear more details with the soft Dog Pad, and the mids became more recessed.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #4,687 of 6,388
The difference in stage size/width/palpability between the Denon and MD is considerably less than the improvement rendered to both in that department by an amp with well-designed crossfeed. I would dismiss out of hand any amp lacking a crossfeed circuit, and I think anyone else who doesn't primarily listen to binaural recordings should, too.

That's a bit of a generalization, not everyone feels the same way about crossfeed, a lot of people are quite ambivalent towards it even after experiencing it... It helps a lot more with older stereo recordings that have harder L/R panning. Plus if you're playing music from your PC (or a portable that can be Rockboxed) then you can just apply crossfeed in software at the player level (foobar2k etc).

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #4,688 of 6,388
I've read all the comparisons between the Mad Dogs vs Sig Pros (on this thread and also on the Sig Pro thread)

Just wondering if there are other opinions? Or updates to opinions for long time owners?

I'm especially interested in which has the better mids (vocals). Specifically resolution.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #4,689 of 6,388
Quote:
That's a bit of a generalization, not everyone feels the same way about crossfeed, a lot of people are quite ambivalent towards it even after experiencing it... It helps a lot more with older stereo recordings that have harder L/R panning. Plus if you're playing music from your PC (or a portable that can be Rockboxed) then you can just apply crossfeed in software at the player level (foobar2k etc).

+1 On this. I am not a fan of crossfeed at all. If soundstage is what you are after, a better solution IMO is Dolby Headphone.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #4,690 of 6,388
Quote:
One thing that bothered me a bit on the 880 was the treble. I had to eq it down a little bit because it was too intense. How would you say they compare to the 880 in that dept?

The MD will not be nearly as bright as the dt800. The treble will be smooth and well extended. That will give you detail without fatigue. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #4,691 of 6,388
This.
The DT-880 are bright (so are the HE-4). I need a warm amp for them: m-stage or SA-31 on its warmest setting.

The MDs are dark/neutral. They pair well with neutral setups like the NFB-27 or something more forward in the treble like the D-Zero or, possibly (=never heard), the Meridian Explorer, ALO Rx-mk3, Apex Glacier...

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,692 of 6,388
Quote:

Kinda forgot... I'll try to post a video tomorrow.  It's super easy, except for the left side, where using a lighter (really) is the only way to get the word "Lock" to not look like a blister...

Finally was able to put my stickers on today. It seemed like the stickers were cut much larger than the original MD (with dog) stickers, so it was an exercise in putting them as close to the edge as possible and carefully applying them so they didn't overhang. Luckily, the stickers are very resilient and can be reapplied numerous times and will still stick so it definitely isn't a one and done and live with it sort of deal. +1 on the quality of the vinyl.

I didn't use a lighter for the "Lock" word. I carefully applied the sticker up to the lock and opening, holding the rest of it with my other hand. Then, I pressed very hard on the word lock as I smoothed the rest of the sticker flat. Think of what a rolling pin does to dough. I did that but with my finger, pressing hard against the earcup. The word lock mostly came through and doesn't look like a blister. It looks about the same as the original MD sticker I had on my headphones which is good enough for me. The lighter would have made this easier, for sure. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #4,694 of 6,388
Quote:

Is there an iOS app that incorporates Dolby Headphone? I'd like to try it.

Actually, I think my Anthem AVR might have it. I'll have to check.

You could run Foobar under emulation and grab RPGWizards config.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/427992/simple-way-to-run-foobar2000-on-mac

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #4,695 of 6,388
Quote:
Just bought a pair this morning with alpha pads....got an email only a few hours later that they shipped. Pretty awesome service.

So I ordered the MD on Saturday and received them this Monday. I love not having to wait for a new audio toy. They sound great and smell pretty good too (the leather). Definitely are power hungry beasts. I was hoping to use them with a JDS labs C5, but I don't think that's possible. It wasn't able to drive my Beyer T90's with the C5 either so I'm not too surprised.

Driven by a Schiit Asgard they're still the most power hungry cans I own. Mids are pretty fantastic....lows and highs are 'realistic'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back