"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #4,381 of 6,388
Quote:
It's funny. The MD's have been at work for the past two months. At home I use the hd650 most of the time. Now that I have a second set of MD's for home, it's all the I reach for since I got them in. 
size]

It's the seductive ortho mids that draws me in. It use to be all about the bass for me. Then I still wanted bass but I began to appreciate the mids and a darker detailed treble. Now I have it all with the MD. 
size]

Why did you buy two sets? You like them even more than I thought you would! 

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #4,382 of 6,388
Quote:
It's funny. The MD's have been at work for the past two months. At home I use the hd650 most of the time. Now that I have a second set of MD's for home, it's all the I reach for since I got them in. 
size]

It's the seductive ortho mids that draws me in. It use to be all about the bass for me. Then I still wanted bass but I began to appreciate the mids and a darker detailed treble. Now I have it all with the MD. 
size]

Oh Matt,  
I have my Mad Dog at the office and pair with a DragonFly, and I love it to death (better than my Sen HD650 (MD sounds fuller) & HE-400 (MD sound less fatigue and more comfortable) - both pair with O2/ODAC).

I admit that I bring my Mad Dog back home sometimes in the weekend, to enjoy it with my O2/ODAC (better synergy, more details than DragonFly). Now you make me want to sell the rest of my headphone collection and have 2 pairs of Mad Dog. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #4,383 of 6,388
Quote:
size]

size]

I like not being alone in the 2 MD club.  

I'm also in for a set of the black out stickers (for my work pair).

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #4,384 of 6,388
Quote:

Why did you buy two sets? You like them even more than I thought you would! 

They just seem to hit the check boxes better than anything else for me. I love the slightly dark presentation. 
Quote:
Oh Matt,  
I have my Mad Dog at the office and pair with a DragonFly, and I love it to death (better than my Sen HD650 (MD sounds fuller) & HE-400 (MD sound less fatigue and more comfortable) - both pair with O2/ODAC).

I admit that I bring my Mad Dog back home sometimes in the weekend, to enjoy it with my O2/ODAC (better synergy, more details than DragonFly). Now you make me want to sell the rest of my headphone collection and have 2 pairs of Mad Dog. 

The MD sounds really good from my vintage amp, but just wonderfully good from the lyr. 
Quote:

I like not being alone in the 2 MD club.  

I'm also in for a set of the black out stickers (for my work pair).

Black stickers rule!! Now I've got to get somebody to power coat the bronze armature on these matte black and then I'll be done. 
size]

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4,385 of 6,388
How do you guys find your mad dogs for gaming?

I really love them for gaming. The comfort allows me to play for hours without problems, just a little warm at times.

The isolation and detail lets me hear footsteps and movement very well. I also enjoy the darker highs to dampen some distracting and fatiguing sounds from guns and explosions.

That said, they won't be the most exciting can available if you're playing a story driven game that is more like a movie. I still find them more than adequate for that though, its just you won't be blown out of your seat with them, and sometimes that's a good thing.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,386 of 6,388
Quote:
I am currently shipping the black v-Moda cable.  I don't guarantee the cable color won't change, it's driven by availability and they don't always have the volume of cables I need available...

Do you think you're still gonna have the black cables later in the week when the black stickers are available?  I was gonna order some Mad Dogs along with those stickers, and I'd really prefer to have a black cable as well. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4,388 of 6,388
I've been listening to the Mad Dogs with Alpha pads with my Dragonfly and ME. I'm definitely enjoying them more with ME because it adds more treble to the dark sounding headphones. I also prefer Mad Dogs to HE-500 because the latter sounds a little bit muffled in the upper mids lower treble region. Dan is a great guy to deal with and provides top notch customer service. I highly recommend these headphones.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #4,390 of 6,388
Spot on! And that's why I prefer the O2/ODAC with my Mad Dog. Mad Dog can reflect the sound signature of the amp quite easily, because of their neutrality. However, unlike HD800, the Mad Dog have slight emphasis  on bass, which makes it easier to listen and the added warmth make bad recording sounds good.
Quote:
I've been listening to the Mad Dogs with Alpha pads with my Dragonfly and ME. I'm definitely enjoying them more with ME because it adds more treble to the dark sounding headphones. I also prefer Mad Dogs to HE-500 because the latter sounds a little bit muffled in the upper mids lower treble region. Dan is a great guy to deal with and provides top notch customer service. I highly recommend these headphones.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #4,391 of 6,388
Quote:
Oh Matt,  

Are these really better than HifiMan's HE-400 ? I've been flip-flopping between HifiMan's and one of the Fostex mods. Anyone else confirm they do indeed give a better sound signature ?

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #4,392 of 6,388
For me, the sound signature is better across the spectrum, more comfortable, $100 less expensive= Maddogs

The he400 will take a slight nod in bass impact, but is not as textured as the MD. The he400 has a treble spike at around 10hz which can sound bright. Many of the "the boys" are using pad mods to relieve this. It's a good hp in it's own right. It does get utterly trounced in the mids by the MD. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #4,393 of 6,388
I prefer the HE400, mad dog felt to warm at times. It's all subjective though...

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #4,394 of 6,388
Quote:
For me, the sound signature is better across the spectrum, more comfortable, $100 less expensive= Maddogs

The he400 will take a slight nod in bass impact, but is not as textured as the MD. The he400 has a treble spike at around 10hz which can sound bright. Many of the "the boys" are using pad mods to relieve this. It's a good hp in it's own right. It does get utterly trounced in the mids by the MD. 

The treble spike is not at 10kHz, it's more of a shelf that extends from 10kHz to 14kHz with the peak somewhere in the middle that is problematic. HE500s, for instance, has a rounded ridge centered at 10kHz and yet it has one of the most forgiving trebles ever.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #4,395 of 6,388
Quote:
The treble spike is not at 10kHz, it's more of a shelf that extends from 10kHz to 14kHz with the peak somewhere in the middle that is problematic. HE500s, for instance, has a rounded ridge centered at 10kHz and yet it has one of the most forgiving trebles ever.

Forgiving, but not veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back