"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #3,796 of 6,388
Short comparison:

You can make a strong comparison between these two hp's. With the Alpha Pads, the MD is now voiced a little closer to the he500 albeit the overall tone is still just a touch darker. 

But like the he500, the MD is smooth and effortless across the spectrum never giving you "extra" than what the recording offers. These are not bass head cans because there is no bass added when the recording doesn't have it. But when the material has a hard bass line the MD will throw it down and with authority, accuracy and smile inducing punch. 

Given the price difference, I'd pick the MD for sure. If the he500, were say only $300...I'd still pick the MD. 
size]

Oh gawd... Best spur of the moment purchase.ever me thinks. I have an 18v jds cmoy bb that with my hm601 should really drive these well. The hm601 is powerful enough to drive my dt880s unamped )n it drives em well) still me so excited :D

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #3,797 of 6,388
Quote:

Short comparison:

You can make a strong comparison between these two hp's. With the Alpha Pads, the MD is now voiced a little closer to the he500 albeit the overall tone is still just a touch darker. 

But like the he500, the MD is smooth and effortless across the spectrum never giving you "extra" than what the recording offers. These are not bass head cans because there is no bass added when the recording doesn't have it. But when the material has a hard bass line the MD will throw it down and with authority, accuracy and smile inducing punch. 

Given the price difference, I'd pick the MD for sure. If the he500, were say only $300...I'd still pick the MD. 
size]

My MDs and (former) HE-500 voicing is much more different than "just a touch darker".

In my book, the MDs are much darker than the HE-500. More heavy sounding. They are more balanced though :wink:

YMDV :wink:

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,798 of 6,388
My MDs and (former) HE-500 voicing is much more different than "just a touch darker".

In my book, the MDs are much darker than the HE-500. More heavy sounding. They are more balanced though :wink:

My Byers r very light n bright, so a dark balanced can will b a nice compliment

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,799 of 6,388

cool

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3,800 of 6,388
Quote:

I think that you must be referring to the MD's with dog pads. If you have not heard the new version with Alpha pads, they sound quite a bit different.  Just guessing here...

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3,803 of 6,388
Quote:

Short comparison:

size]

what's your setup with the MD?

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3,804 of 6,388
I feel the same, but it isn't quite fair since I only listened to the HE-500 for a limited time during the Bay Area meet. There was a certain deep power and resonance, perhaps a combination of the open nature of the headphone, the more present bass and slightly sparklier treble that my Mad Dogs couldn't quite attest to, and now I plan to make the HE-500 part of my collection some time. To be fair, my Asgard 2 and Bifrost are doing unspeakable things to my Mad Dogs, so that might change, but I think it'd be nice to have both, a closed can and an open of quality caliber.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,806 of 6,388
Quote:
I feel the same, but it isn't quite fair since I only listened to the HE-500 for a limited time during the Bay Area meet. There was a certain deep power and resonance, perhaps a combination of the open nature of the headphone, the more present bass and slightly sparklier treble that my Mad Dogs couldn't quite attest to, and now I plan to make the HE-500 part of my collection some time. To be fair, my Asgard 2 and Bifrost are doing unspeakable things to my Mad Dogs, so that might change, but I think it'd be nice to have both, a closed can and an open of quality caliber.

I also was at the meet, and had my mad dogs with alpha pads with me (I was part of the test group, so I had them at the time).  I was able to compare pretty close to A/B, and had the same basic esperience.  HE500 is a great and capable headphone, but much brighter and a bit airier than the MD.  In the short time listening, I liked the MD a bit better I suspect as much because I was used to it as anything.  I also decided I'd like to spend a bit more time with the HE500 to see if I want a pair.  Right now, the HD650 is in the top seat of desired open headphones (above the HD800 for my tastes).

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3,808 of 6,388
^^ This is headfi man...there is no such thing as overkill. 
size]
 The Alpha dogs continued to get better all the way up to the lyr for me. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,810 of 6,388
It's not overkill until your amp is heavy enough to risk a hernia every time you try to move it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back