"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,361 of 6,388
My Beyers definitely have more punch to them, and my CALs good lord do they have bass.
The Maddogs need some power to bring the best out of them, what do you have for a source? My E09K was at just over 12 oclock on low gain, my Maverick was at 11 oclock. The Maddogs are scary because they keep begging you to raise that volume. They want it so badly. I don't suggest it though lol. Hearing damage and all that unhealthy stuff.
Beyers also love power, they don't need it but they sure tighten up with some.

I wonder if you would just be happy with a pair of CALs with HM5 pads. The bass on the CALs is not that thumpy claustrophobic bass of the XB700. It is rich and deep and all for just under 100 dollars depending on where you live and runs beautifully off an iphone to boot. They really area  headphone I think everyone should own. Unless you truly despise bass. (Those people exist.)

In your case though I think you really need to hear the Maddogs first, doesn't sound like you have that luxury so I understand why you are really nervous.

Edit: sonitus mirus explained it perfectly. I agree wholeheartedly.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,362 of 6,388
My source is an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, with my beyers I have it set to +12dB gain but it can go up to +18dB gain. Not sure how that is compared to the amping that is suggested, headphones+amp is not in my budget right now though and new headphones are definitely a priority. :p

Yeah I would love to be able to try them out but, understandably, international returns are a no-go. Sad thing but totally understandable.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3,363 of 6,388
I'm sure you would have no difficulties selling them for a minimal loss if they were like new.  Would be worth the risk in my opinion.  I think you would like them.  They are a spectacular bargain, and they really do sound excellent, they are just neutral, but not lacking anywhere.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,365 of 6,388
Quote:
Hehe, I would say you hear the music quite well in the Beyers too! :p

I wouldn't really consider myself a basshead, not in the way that some seem to only think there's bass if their jaws are shaking, but I have been disappointed before by too unnoticable bass. Before I got the DT770's I had a pair of Sennheiser PC350, and although they are in a different league they are still decent headphones, but the bass on them was just too weak. That's pretty much what I mean, I just don't want the bass to be so weak that you don't really notice it. I doubt the Mad Dog Alpha's are as bad as PC350's on bass impact but it would suck getting them and being completely disappointed by the bass.

I own the PC360. The MD's have less slam than than the PC360 from my experience but definitely come through with much more detail and presence, if that makes sense. So while you won't feel the bass, you'll definitely notice the clarity of it. The PC360 is pretty bass light too.

The sub bass detail is quite good. If you have Macklemore's The Heist, Listen to Jimmy Iovene. The MD's have a lot of presence to the bass. Right around 1:45 when the sub bass drops, it sounds quite amazing. Again, not slamming but very present. You'll notice the bass in a different way: detail rather than weight. The MD doesn't overpower any of the spectrum with any other part. The bass won't overwhelm the mids. The mids won't overwhelm the bass. You'll just get very clear and defined bass. You'll hear the bass drum reverberate, for example, rather than just hear a bass note.

If you want slamming bass, these aren't the can for you. It's that simple.

Edit, there's always the 15 day return policy so you can try them. Just a thought. I'm moronic. Disregard that last sentence.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #3,366 of 6,388
Quote:
confused.gif
 No. They will make you put it through the scanner. The only things you can have on your person are your clothes.

Er... Yeah, I don't even know why I asked this question, my head must've not been on straight...

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,367 of 6,388
Gotta say though—since upgrading to Alpha Pads, I've turned off my EQ because the bass is much more competent. 

I think every audiophile is a 'basshead' depending on the track or their particular cravings at any moment. Sometimes I'm a treble head and want to put on complex piano pieces for the details and clarity, but other times I'm a bass head and just want to put on some hip hop and vibe out. Alpha Dogs are dynamic enough to provide both of those extremes. A headphone truly worthy of the 'audiophile' label. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3,368 of 6,388
I received my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads on Monday (ordered Friday)
gs1000.gif
I can say for sure they are laid back sounding. The bass is present but not booming. Mids are pretty good and the highs are withdrawn a bit. Great for relaxed all day listening at the office. Straight from my iPhone they sound fine but from a vintage Marantz receiver they really open up. The comfort is unreal.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,369 of 6,388
Think I'm convinced now, Mad Dog Alpha's might be my next pair of headphones! :)
The chance of a bit less bass punch seems like a worth tradeoff compared to all the other places where the Mad Dog's absolutely trash the Beyers.

Yeah I doubt it will be hard selling them at at most a minimal loss, I've only found one other person from Norway who said he has these and I'm sure one popping up for sale would get some interest.

Thanks for all the help! I've realized it's not easy finding good headphones, especially when you're limited to closed back headphones, and the Mad Dogs just seem like too good of a buy to ignore.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #3,370 of 6,388
Quote:
Think I'm convinced now, Mad Dog Alpha's might be my next pair of headphones! :)
The chance of a bit less bass punch seems like a worth tradeoff compared to all the other places where the Mad Dog's absolutely trash the Beyers.

Yeah I doubt it will be hard selling them at at most a minimal loss, I've only found one other person from Norway who said he has these and I'm sure one popping up for sale would get some interest.

Thanks for all the help! I've realized it's not easy finding good headphones, especially when you're limited to closed back headphones, and the Mad Dogs just seem like too good of a buy to ignore.

^^ I would say that you are exactly right. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,372 of 6,388
Just gotta establish where diminishing returns start becoming too apparent, and keep your purchases in that area. Mad/Alpha Dogs sit comfortably at the top end of that area.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,373 of 6,388
Quote:
Not sure if my soundcard is a proper source for the Mad Dog's though but I guess I'll have to worry about that later. How can you people have the money for head-fi?! :p

Quit worrying so much about source and just go for it 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,375 of 6,388
I'm on the waitlist for the HE-400 demo, but to the extent that I've fallen for my Mad Dogs, I'm not even sure I need to hear them anymore. It's one of the first times that my I really don't feel the head-fi hunger anymore.

Anything I play on these headphones is rendered flawlessly, and I don't find myself wanting anything more out of it. I used to be an IEM person a year ago and I was constantly buying new ones, finding flaws in each one I bought, and using those flaws to justify my inevitable next purchase. There is absolutely nothing like that I can nail on the Mad Dogs. I'm still curious about open sets, sure, but I can definitely live with what I have for a while, especially since I have an Asgard2/Bifrost coming soon.

Perhaps a decent pair of IEMs is in order for portability (though I use my MD's as portables, they're not 100% successful at it), but I think as anoxy said I'm truly at a sweet spot for a college student's private audio setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back