"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,716 of 6,388
Maddogs are more balanced than the he400 which puts some emphasis on the bass. But the MD still has that silky smooth ortho sound. MD wins on mids. The mids are some of the best I've heard. The treble gives wonderful detail but never sounds harsh or strident. 

Maddogs will isolate wonderfully while the he400 will sound like mini speakers to everyone in the room. The he400 amps easier but is not as comfortable as the MD. They are both great hp's...just depends on what you're after. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2,717 of 6,388
Quote:
Maddogs are more balanced than the he400 which puts some emphasis on the bass. But the MD still has that silky smooth ortho sound. MD wins on mids. The mids are some of the best I've heard. The treble gives wonderful detail but never sounds harsh or strident. 

Maddogs will isolate wonderfully while the he400 will sound like mini speakers to everyone in the room. The he400 amps easier but is not as comfortable as the MD. They are both great hp's...just depends on what you're after. 

Great comparison.   Do you have the Mad Dogs with the new dog pads?  The Mad Dogs have more checks in the positive column vs. HE400 for me except the big one- bass.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,718 of 6,388
I have the dog pads. The dog pad version hits the bass harder than the version with the shure pads. I'd call the MD w/dog pads neutral with warmth on the bass. The bass is actually quite good...the he400 hits harder (more impact) though. I suppose this is from larger drivers on the he400. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2,719 of 6,388
I have grown to love the bass on my Mad Dogs. It's loud and proud when the recording calls for it. Definitely not bass enhanced, just natural and astute.

That's with a tiny eq boost in the low end though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,720 of 6,388
Also, if you liked the album Native Speaker by Braids, or just dream pop and chillwave in general, this album sounds amazing on the MDs:
Blue Hawaii - Untogether

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,721 of 6,388
I don't listen to alot of electronic music, but BT's "This Binary Universe" sounds excellent. The different spatial cues really make use of the excellent soundstaging and make for a really atmospheric listen.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,724 of 6,388
I'm listening to them on my CmoyBB 2.03 double battery version, and they sound extremely nice. The bass boost switch gives it a small extra oomph in the bass. I'm very impressed with the sound. If I get a more expensive amp, does it really get better than this? How much better can it get if I drop more cash to change my current setup?

I've been looking at the modi magni setup for a while now, but still reluctant on pulling the trigger. I still don't have any idea on how the sound will change, and I certainly don't have the luxury of a fat wallet.

Listening to Gareth Emery ft. Lucy Saunders - Sanctuary 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,725 of 6,388
Quote:
Interesting .... I love my MDs; they're definitely my favorite closed headphone, but I can't think of a single category they beat my HE-500s in .... except isolation, of course.

Comfort?

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,727 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ Wow can't believe I haven't heard that!! I love DMB. 
size]
 Going to listen now...

Get back to me with impressions of the recording. It's an older one, but a standard I use when auditioning a new pair of headphones.

My runner-up would be Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,729 of 6,388
Quote:
Get back to me with impressions of the recording. It's an older one, but a standard I use when auditioning a new pair of headphones.

My runner-up would be Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads.

I love all things DMB, as you can tell by my avatar. But this recording was not very good to my ears. My favorite live DMB is Live at Luther College with Tim Reynolds accompanying. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2,730 of 6,388
Quote:

I love all things DMB, as you can tell by my avatar. But this recording was not very good to my ears. My favorite live DMB is Live at Luther College with Tim Reynolds accompanying. 

Hmm, perhaps my copy sounds different from yours. It's a little quiet (especially in terms of drum hit), but fits the character of my PS1000 and my ESP950 both nicely. It's not as good as some of the studio stuff in terms of pure fidelity, of course, but I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back