"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,702 of 6,388
Quote:
I love the build quality of these, especially coming from plasticy HD-580s. They feel so substantial, like tanks.

Yea that's another great thing about these. I don't wanna say you can just throw them around but you don't have to take such caution with putting them down ya know what I mean 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,703 of 6,388
Lots rubber and cups protected by the pads. This is a headphone that I don't have to worry about hanging on a stand so that I don't scratch them. 

Very rugged!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,705 of 6,388
I know I'm just a bit late to the live-recording party, but if you're listening to lives there's one you absolutely can't miss: Remember Two Things by Dave Matthews Band.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2,709 of 6,388
[size=medium]A bit of my background. I have been listening to music for many years however I don’t have much experience with headphones. I got the Mad Dog about 10 days ago and I have been listening nonstop. :) I have a chance to compare to Denon AH-D600. [/size]

[size=medium]My home stereo does not have any headphone output and I do not have a headphone amp. I am planning to use the headphones at work and while travelling so I bought Dragonfly. [/size]

[size=medium]Mad Dog pros: I really like the bass, the treble, and the balance overall. The vocals are fuller and more intimate. [/size]

[size=medium]Denon pros: Much more detailed and clear sound – I can clearly hear guitar body reverberations and not just the string sound, the same with violin music, I can hear the concert hall acoustic and presence.  The dynamic range is a bit wider than Mad Dog’s – especially with symphony music. The Mad Dog seems a bit congested with symphony music – Denon makes every instrument to sound separate. The Denon definitely has a wider and cleaner soundstage.[/size]

[size=medium]I am not sure if the cons I have with Mad Dog are due to the Dragonfly. It’s clear that it is way easier to drive the Denon than the Mad Dog. I don’t mind buying a desktop amp for my office if this is an issue, however my 15 days of return period will expire in a couple days. I would appreciate your opinion.[/size]

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,711 of 6,388
^^ The denon is easy to drive but the MD is somewhat tougher. Get yourself a decent amp to pair with them and I think you'll be surprised at just how good they will be. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2,713 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=medium]A bit of my background. I have been listening to music for many years however I don’t have much experience with headphones. I got the Mad Dog about 10 days ago and I have been listening nonstop. :) I have a chance to compare to Denon AH-D600. [/size]

[size=medium]My home stereo does not have any headphone output and I do not have a headphone amp. I am planning to use the headphones at work and while travelling so I bought Dragonfly. [/size]

[size=medium]Mad Dog pros: I really like the bass, the treble, and the balance overall. The vocals are fuller and more intimate. [/size]

[size=medium]Denon pros: Much more detailed and clear sound – I can clearly hear guitar body reverberations and not just the string sound, the same with violin music, I can hear the concert hall acoustic and presence.  The dynamic range is a bit wider than Mad Dog’s – especially with symphony music. The Mad Dog seems a bit congested with symphony music – Denon makes every instrument to sound separate. The Denon definitely has a wider and cleaner soundstage.[/size]

[size=medium]I am not sure if the cons I have with Mad Dog are due to the Dragonfly. It’s clear that it is way easier to drive the Denon than the Mad Dog. I don’t mind buying a desktop amp for my office if this is an issue, however my 15 days of return period will expire in a couple days. I would appreciate your opinion.[/size]

ADL by furutech stride gets my vote. Amp and dac. That with the mad dogs will put the d-600 dragonfly combo to the test I garuntee, and it's portable, mayb transportable, with an 80hr. battery life on an 8hr. charge. Probably wanna get the grado or sennheiser 1/4in to 1/8in cable as well. Gets the mad dogs within a butt hair of being maxed out imo. They retail for $350 but I just got mine with overnight shipping for $219. They're fairly new and I think some will pop up here in the near furutech around $250.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,715 of 6,388
Quote:
Has anyone compared Mad Dogs to the HE-400?

There have been many instances of comparisons either here (in this thread) or elsewhere on Head-Fi. Then there's always Google Search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back