"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,641 of 6,388
Quote:
It probably is both :wink: (I usually say that burn-in == brain adapting to new signature).
But yeah.
I remember talking to one of my friends at work telling him that at first the sound might even be underwhelming... he agreed... But after a few songs in, he wanted to take the headphones with him! LOL... HELLSSSS NO!!

I also provided both my Sig Pros and the MDs while he was at my cube. He liked the MDs more than the Sig Pros based on comfort and a "non-agressive" approach as he called it. I don't particularly see the Sig Pros as agressive (listening to Moving Mountains now... oh so sweet! :wink:) per-se but they are indeed bassier and have a bit more detail up top.

Still, with the MDs there's definitely an adaptation time. I'm pretty sure if you jump back to any of those other headphones/IEMs and then come back again, the same thing will happen! :wink:

I think this is definitely a real (if not THE real) phenomenon, and furthermore, the longer you "burn-in" a particular set of headphones, say the MDs, the quicker your brain can re-adapt to it as you cycle through your collection, to the point of almost instantly.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,642 of 6,388
You guys think I'll be able to tell if the MDs are right for me if I order them with just a e10? I probably will invest in a better suited dac/amp later, but I didn't want to splurge too much in one go.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,643 of 6,388
^^ You may like them well enough with an e10 but it isn't enough to get a high percentage of their potential. They scale very well with better amps. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2,645 of 6,388
Quote:
You guys think I'll be able to tell if the MDs are right for me if I order them with just a e10? I probably will invest in a better suited dac/amp later, but I didn't want to splurge too much in one go.

I'm using it right now at work, it will be great until you decide to upgrade later. This little thing is powerful

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2,646 of 6,388
Quote:

They'll be fine with just an E10. If you decide later to upgrade, they will scale with you, which is a nice feature these have, among some of the other headphones in this price range. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,650 of 6,388
Quote:

Why not save the extra $50 and get a Schiit Magni? Granted, you'll be running off of on board dac but for $100 there's no reason not to buy the Magni as your starter amp (unless you absolutely need portable).

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,651 of 6,388
Why not save the extra $50 and get a Schiit Magni? Granted, you'll be running off of on board dac but for $100 there's no reason not to buy the Magni as your starter amp (unless you absolutely need portable).

Well, I already own the E10, so I wouldn't really be saving anything. But i get what you're saying. Selling the e10 is certainly a possibility.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,652 of 6,388
Quote:
Well, I already own the E10, so I wouldn't really be saving anything. But i get what you're saying. Selling the e10 is certainly a possibility.

I meant save the $45 you need that is the difference between the e10 and magni price (e10 on amazon is $55 so that's what i based on). But if you already purchased, you'll be fine with it until you upgrade later.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,653 of 6,388
Thank you guys for all your feedback! The mad dogs are on the way now! My dad sent a super charged tense text "who charged this ****!?" Upon receiving the charge to all my family, to which I timidly replied "those are my headphones...". A few minutes pass, "Good! I hope you enjoy them! :) " whew!

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,654 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi guys, not sure if this is just a rumor or not, but I've heard that lowering the volume control on windows and maxing out the knob on your amp will yield better sound quality. Is this true?

Quote:
I
I have experienced signal levels from sound cards that are higher than expected input parameters for the amp and this distort.

Usually, you want the highest signal coming from your source to maximize your signal strength relative to noise, because the amp will amplify both.

A couple exceptions to this:
- the amp has an input limit (usually a clipping protection of some sort)
- the amp has poor volume balance at low levels
- the amp volume control is actually a gain control, and the particular topology is more stable at high gain (but this is very unlikely)

When in doubt, setting your volume at 80% should suffice for most situations.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2,655 of 6,388
Quote:

Usually, you want the highest signal coming from your source to maximize your signal strength relative to noise, because the amp will amplify both.

A couple exceptions to this:
- the amp has an input limit (usually a clipping protection of some sort)
- the amp has poor volume balance at low levels
- the amp volume control is actually a gain control, and the particular topology is more stable at high gain (but this is very unlikely)

When in doubt, setting your volume at 80% should suffice for most situations.

Indeed, I've always perceived a channel imbalance (favoring the left channel) at low volumes coming from my PC, regardless of the source, amp, or headphones involved in the chain.  Only way I can resolve it is setting my system volume to about 75%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back