"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,627 of 6,388
My experience/tests with Maddogs.

You do not NEED an amp..... 
However, for the most part, with the better amping you provide there is a scalar relationship with quality on the MDs

Amp 1:
Lyr, this is a great pairing, but note that the Lyr is a great tube rolling device, there is a definite and very dynamic relation to these input stage tubes and the sound. 

This seems to really be magnified by the Maddogs, the subtler differences from tube to tube and DAC to DAC are very very apparent, from soundstage to bass definition. No doubt. 

I still think you could put more juice into the Maddogs than the Lyr, once again note the speaker amp folks out there.  I'm really wondering, just to see.

Amp 2:
Project Sunrise II, this is another tube amp, the sound is very good with the Maddogs, in fact depending on the tube, its not 6 watts into @32ohm like the Lyr,  it absolutely can drive the Maddogs very nicely as well, maybe with a tad less soundstage. I like the 12at7 tubes with a good MU, for some
extra gain.

Amp 3:
Tralucent T1 portable, this little guy can drive the Maddogs, its not a tube amp obviously but it will stop driving the Maddogs at about 70% of the potentiometer.  From 70%-100% there is essentially no gain remaining.  The Maddogs are about 80% of what i need from the T1. still awesome. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,628 of 6,388
Quote:

I don't own nor have I heard the Magni.  I have heard the HE-500 and MD on the Asgard (of which I own the MD and Asgard), and I generally feel the MD provides the better listening experience.  For me that's generally because I'm in rather noisy environments whether it's office noise, or a noisy air conditioner at home (seriously the intake on my AC / heater is loud).  Right now it's not running all that often, but when summer rolls back around, I'll be reaching for the Mad Dog far more often than my HE-6.  Anyway, I feel that for myself and many others, your argument is moot because of the open/closed difference.

Lol...that's exactly why I NEED the MDs...the noisy  AC.  Also, my girlfriend can get loud in the house, and with the MDs, she can make all the noise she wants.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #2,630 of 6,388
Quote:
Are these a good for portable use?  I wanted to get the MDR-1s but these seem to have far superior audioquality, while happening to be closed

The 1R is probably going to be better for portable use if size is a concern. I use my MD for portable too, though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,631 of 6,388
Quote:
They do sound a little anemic though, so perhaps it's not a good pairing....

Try bumping them up a bit with EQ in the 40-80Hz range if you can. My pair has a small dip there relative to everything around it, and I find a tiny, tiny bit of EQ there helps. The Mad Dog should also have fairly low harmonic distortion, if I had to guess, and a fairly linear response overall, which can be perceived as anemic compared to many other headphones. At least, that's been my experience with headphones like the Mad Dog or Paradox. I'm not 100% sure you're coming from other than what's listed in your sig.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,632 of 6,388
Jan 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,633 of 6,388
I could definitely see somebody using these as portable cans with the awesome 3.5mm cable that Dan includes. But I'm a low-profile CIEM kinda guy on the go. I like to wear hoods, and that doesn't really work with full size cans.

Damn, I need to go to sleep but I'm enjoying these too much. Just clicking through my entire library....

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2,634 of 6,388
Quote:
Are these a good for portable use?  I wanted to get the MDR-1s but these seem to have far superior audioquality, while happening to be closed

For portable use, you may be better off with the M-100 or PSB M4U1 than MRD-1R.  I am intrigued by the mids of the Mad Dogs, but all this talk of tube amps sounds like a dealbreaker for portable use.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,635 of 6,388
Quote:

Superior, yes. Far superior, no.

The md's don't make sense for portable listening though of course it is transportable. Like many other full size closed headphones this is too heavy (over 400g) with a very light clamping force and this makes it pretty tough to use in the portable scenario. Accompanied with the amping requirements (definitely more than most headphones I've ever bought), then portable listening becomes even more inconvenient. The mdr-1r's are perfect (though not as good as the senn momentum if you have smallish ears!)  

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,636 of 6,388

I found them to be a bit stale upon first listen, but after "warming up" to them, they sound amazing.

Damn, I need to go to sleep but I'm enjoying these too much. Just clicking through my entire library....

Haha, I had a similar experience when I got my MDs.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,637 of 6,388
Quote:

LOL! Yup!
That's the first thing I think of EVERYTIME I put them on! Then my ears/brain "fall in place" again and gets used to the sound and I end up loving them again! I GUESS that's what happens when one listens to "colored" headphones a lot. For example, right now I'm using my Sig Pros (the best, to my ears, closed headphones that I have tried) and I'm pretty sure that next week when I get to use the MDs again, they WILL sound anemic at first :wink:.

Enjoy.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,638 of 6,388
Quote:
This is a great comparison, thanks.  Are there any portable amps where the Mad Dogs shine?  My Vamp is great for the M-100, but I don't think it would have enough power.  My little E11, on the other hand, I max out at about half power with the M-100 so I am thinking this might be sufficient for Mad Dogs.  Is it safe to assume that one of the key strengths of Mad Dogs is a forward, detailed, transparent vocal presentation?

I did get to try my JDSLabs c421 with the MDs. They are capable of driving them at High Gain at a very listenable volume with no Distortion. Did NOT like them with the Bass Boost feature on (in case you are wondering since I read somewhere that you might probably be turning into a "basshead" :wink:).

My current portable amp, Leckerton UHA-6SMKII, also drives the MDs very well, again High Gain.

Just a note, I don't blow my ears when listening to music so, YMMV :wink: BUT, the amp does a good job regarding listening volume and delivering music detail.

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,639 of 6,388
Quote:

LOL! Yup!
That's the first thing I think of EVERYTIME I put them on! Then my ears/brain "fall in place" again and gets used to the sound and I end up loving them again! I GUESS that's what happens when one listens to "colored" headphones a lot. For example, right now I'm using my Sig Pros (the best, to my ears, closed headphones that I have tried) and I'm pretty sure that next week when I get to use the MDs again, they WILL sound anemic at first :wink:.

Enjoy.

Indeed, that's what happened to me. I don't know whether to attribute it to burn-in or brain adaptation...or a combination of both. But now they sound fantastic. And what's funny is that I don't really listen to 'colored' headphones. HD580, ER4, Heir 4ai are all pretty neutral.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2,640 of 6,388
It probably is both :wink: (I usually say that burn-in == brain adapting to new signature).
But yeah.
I remember talking to one of my friends at work telling him that at first the sound might even be underwhelming... he agreed... But after a few songs in, he wanted to take the headphones with him! LOL... HELLSSSS NO!!

I also provided both my Sig Pros and the MDs while he was at my cube. He liked the MDs more than the Sig Pros based on comfort and a "non-agressive" approach as he called it. I don't particularly see the Sig Pros as agressive (listening to Moving Mountains now... oh so sweet! :wink:) per-se but they are indeed bassier and have a bit more detail up top.

Still, with the MDs there's definitely an adaptation time. I'm pretty sure if you jump back to any of those other headphones/IEMs and then come back again, the same thing will happen! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back