"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,476 of 6,388
I have the he500 and the mad dogs and they are quite different orthos. In a sentence I prefer the he500's as they are my favorite headphone. I can safely say though that the mad dogs get at least 90 percent there. Where the he 500 edges out the mad dog is soundstage mostly as there are other parts of the sound that are more subjective. But I think the full spectrum is more balanced with the he500 with more natural instrument representation. To be honest though I use the mad dogs just as much if not more because they are slightly less fatiguing, more comfortable, and smoother sounding. Dan makes one of the best headphones out there. Even the fact we are comparing his 300 headphone to a 700 dollar one is a great testament to his work.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,477 of 6,388
It's funny cause the guys in the M-100 thread like love them. I think a majority of them aren't used to higher end cans, I know Val is a friend of Jude and I'm sure he's a cool guy and all but IMO those M-100''s border on the line of unacceptable for 300 USD. There's just no way. The bass is more quantity than quality and the mids are way too recessed for me and I'm not that picky. 

After purchasing both the MDs and the M-100s in December for virtually the same price I've found the MDs even unamped a superior HP in sound and comfort.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #2,479 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey Bama...my home state!! Have you used hp's before that were as closed as these. I have inner ear issues and I have to be careful with closed hp's and too much volume. I'll get dizzy to the point I feel sick. What kind of reaction did you have?

I've used plenty of closed cans, and never had problems; I'm just sick. My allergic reaction was actually a rash of my hands, which originally led me to believe that the comfort strap could be the issue.

And I'm actually a Michigander/Wisconsinite who recently moved near Mobile.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2,481 of 6,388
Are D7000 and Mad Dogs comparable at all? I'm trying to decide between the two, and the mad dogs are looking mighty attractive at half the price.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,483 of 6,388
More thoughts on my new pair of MDs.... Very clean and neutral sounding, with great balance throughout the range. Compared to my other 'mostly Rastapants 2' modded T50RPs, they bring the midrange more back toward the listener (my other pair has a slight mid recession), clear up the treble, and present more of a taut bass. I didn't realize how much bass bloom there was in my other set until I received the MDs. I would still love to have a 'touch' more weight to the lows, but I have an AMB M^3 with bass knob to rectify that.  
biggrin.gif
   The dog pads are awesome, and much more comfy than the 840 pads on my other pair. And I especially like the comfort afforded by the leather headband. So far I'm really enjoying them. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,486 of 6,388
Quote:
Are D7000 and Mad Dogs comparable at all? I'm trying to decide between the two, and the mad dogs are looking mighty attractive at half the price.

Didn't have the D7000 but did have the D5000s. I've read that the D2000 and D7000 are more similar and that the D5000 is like the black sheep (don't know) but anyway, the D5000 had a TON of sub-bass (uncontrolled but not that bad) and sparkly treble. The Mad Dogs lack both of these. Still, I prefer the Mad Dogs as a whole because I love its mids. Although the D5000 didn't have overly recessed mids, they were not as pronounced (i.e. people called it 'U-shaped').

Also, D5000/7000 leak a ton if you listen at high volumes. Isolation is not the best either.
If neither of these "cons" are really cons to you, then all you can do is try them and see which one you like the most.
Dan (MrSpeakers) offer a 15-day return window if you don't like the Mad Dogs.

I can tell you though that I no longer have the D5000s and I'm rocking the Mad Dogs right now at the office :wink:.

Good luck!

Quote:
HI guys, just a question.

The JDS Labs CmoyBB v2.03 2x9V (AD8066). Will it juice the Mad Dogs to a decent quality?

Not sure how much power the CmoyBB push in the 2 battery configuration! I had this (1 batt config) and the bass was very distorted even with my Denon D5000s (which are not difficult to drive at all!!!). So... I'm not sure... I am sure though that JDSLabs c421 amp drives the Mad Dogs at High gain rather well.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,488 of 6,388
Quote:

Didn't have the D7000 but did have the D5000s. I've read that the D2000 and D7000 are more similar and that the D5000 is like the black sheep (don't know) but anyway, the D5000 had a TON of sub-bass (uncontrolled but not that bad) and sparkly treble. The Mad Dogs lack both of these. Still, I prefer the Mad Dogs as a whole because I love its mids. Although the D5000 didn't have overly recessed mids, they were not as pronounced (i.e. people called it 'U-shaped').

Also, D5000/7000 leak a ton if you listen at high volumes. Isolation is not the best either.
If neither of these "cons" are really cons to you, then all you can do is try them and see which one you like the most.
Dan (MrSpeakers) offer a 15-day return window if you don't like the Mad Dogs.

I can tell you though that I no longer have the D5000s and I'm rocking the Mad Dogs right now at the office :wink:.

Good luck!

Not sure how much power the CmoyBB push in the 2 battery configuration! I had this (1 batt config) and the bass was very distorted even with my Denon D5000s (which are not difficult to drive at all!!!). So... I'm not sure... I am sure though that JDSLabs c421 amp drives the Mad Dogs at High gain rather well.

Same here. Mine won't be returned, I can say that without any hesitation. Awesome comfort, and the perfect amount of isolation for an office situation.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,489 of 6,388
Quote:

I owned the D7000.  It has a bit more sparkle in the treble, more (as in accented or boosted) bass.  D7000 has less sound stage and less pinpoint imaging, and worse isolation, the latter by far.  The D7000 does sound a bit more refined.  They are both very comfortable.  The Mad dogs are much more durable than the D7000.  The D7000 does not require (but benefits from) an amp.  The mad dogs really must be amped with a decent amp.  The sound signature is not identical, but not that far off between the two.

The D7000 was my favorite headphone, and I still love it, but no longer own it.  The Mad Dogs are a far, far better value at half of the D7000 used price (if you find a "bargain").  You do need to factor in a decent used amp along the lines of the iBasso P4 or PB2, or the meier stepdance/quickstep family, or a powerful RSA or a Pico or some such.  Figure 350 mW per channel rated, at least, though I did drive them "well enough" from a Pico Slim.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,490 of 6,388
Good isolation is a big factor in my decision, so I might have to eliminate the D7000 based on that.

Would you say these have more low end than the HD-600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back