"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #3,406 of 6,388
Yeah, Dan seems like a very good guy. Obviously you can't blindly trust someone who's trying to sell a product but he seems very honest about his product and doesn't try to sell it as something it isn't. Even now that my Beyers seem fine again I still quite want a pair of Mad Dog Alphas. :p

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,407 of 6,388
only 2 weeks until i can finally order these! Just some questions how does the sound compare to the k701? i like the sound of my akgs they are so detailed and relaxing! are there any other phones in this price range that compete with the mad dogs? finally how do they feel are they light and plastic feeling? or solid feeling? cheers

The voicing is the complete opposite.
I used to own the 701 (I still own the 601 but never listened to them since I went the planar route, 1.5 years ago.)
The 701 are cold and sometimes bright/harsh sounding, they lack bass, have a big but unnatural soundstage and they sound open.

The mad dogs are the complete opposite. They are dark with deep and impactful bass (yet not prominent as to call they bass heavy, just well balanced), natural and detailed mids ( the planar magic) and relaxed treble.
They will never ever sound harsh or sibilant but they still remain detailed, which is very nice.

They have a pretty good soundstage by open-backed standart and excellent for a closed-back headphone.

If you don't hear any harshness with the 701 then your gear or ears might not be suited for the MDs. They might sound very dark in comparison, on the same setup. I'm not saying you cannot adapt though :wink:.

They respond very well to EQing by the way and overall, they are a league above the 701. YMMV

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,408 of 6,388
I was able to do some comparisons between the Alpha Pads and Dog Pads yesterday with 2 different pairs of MDs purchased about the same time. The first thing that caught my eye was how different the Dog Pads on the other unit were compared to my Dog pads. The other ones were about 1-2mm smaller all the way around than my dog pads. The clamping force on the other pair was also much less than I remember my pair having before upgrading to the Alpha Pads.
Turning to comfort, the Alphas are much more comfortable to my ears. Then again, the ends of my ears were being pushed in by the Dog Pads, making them much more uncomfortable. YMMV here.
Soundstage was too close to call.
From a sound perspective, there seemed to be slightly less bass impact with the Alpha pads. While I originally preferred the "looser" bass of the Dogs, I now prefer the Alphas after this test. Female vocals also felt more present, though still not exactly forward. The sound of the Alpha Pad dogs is better overall.
For me, the comfort alone was worth the upgrade, everything else came as a pleasant surprise.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3,409 of 6,388
Can anyone here offer any comparison to the alpha/dog pads vs J$ Beyer pads?

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,410 of 6,388
Feb 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #3,411 of 6,388
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a good portable case for the MDs? 
There are options like...
The Slappa hardcase:
http://www.amazon.com/Slappa-SL-HP-01-Headphone-Case-Black/dp/B001U88XJQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361183616&sr=1-6
or
Bluecell 
http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Protection-Carrying-Monster-Headphone/dp/B008ZVQHD0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361183616&sr=1-3

Not sure how either one of them fits the MDs. Open to suggestions.

The Mad Dogs don't "fold" so I'm pretty sure both of those cases will be useless.
You can either go big:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-Bag-Nylon-Headphone/dp/B008ZTA8OG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361192482&sr=1-1&keywords=Beyerdynamic+headphone+case

Or do as I do, and get a headphone "bag" from a cheapo Chinese seller on eBay. :wink:

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3,413 of 6,388
Quote:

Cool, do you have a link to one that you use or suggest?

Sadly, I cannot access eBay from work. :frowning2:
Hopefully someone else will chime in with links!

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3,414 of 6,388
Ordering these as soon as Dan calls back! :D

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #3,415 of 6,388
Enjoyed spending time at Dan's table when he brought up several Mad Dog's to the Bay Area headphone meet up.  One of the better $300 headphones I've heard and impressive with the recordings I auditioned.  

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3,416 of 6,388
Ordered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back