MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max - 3.5mm output
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

kdphan

Headphoneus Supremus
Just picked up my M1Pro MacBook Pro today. First thing I wanted to test was the 3.5mm output.

First impression: oh wow, it sounds really good. Looks like I won't be needing my Lotoo S1 anymore.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 44
I appreciate you sharing your opinion, but "sounds really good" doesn't really say much.

What headphones did you use to test?
Does it have enough current for low impedance headphones that require a lot of power? (24-ohm Sony XB700 for example).
Does it have enough voltage for high-impedance headphones that require a lot of power (600-ohm Beyerdynamic DT990 for example).
For what reason were you previously using your Lotoo S1, and with what source?

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 44
I have a few DAPs that can power headphones (currently Meze Empyrean).
Haven't test the Empyrean on the MBP yet.

Using my IEMs currently and it could be the Apple Music app with the settings that make my IEMs more transparent. The soundstage seems much wider compared to the Lotoo S1.

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 44
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212856

Excerpt:

"The 3.5 mm headphone jack on the MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) or MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) features DC load detection and adaptive voltage output. Your Mac can detect the impedance of the connected device and will adapt its output for low- and high-impedance headphones, as well as for line-level audio devices.

When you connect headphones with an impedance of less than 150 ohms, the headphone jack provides up to 1.25 volts RMS. For headphones with an impedance of 150 to 1k ohms, the headphone jack delivers 3 volts RMS. This may remove the need for an external headphone amplifier.

With impedance detection, adaptive voltage output, and a built-in digital-to-analog converter that supports sample rates of up to 96 kHz, you can enjoy high-fidelity, full-resolution audio directly from the headphone jack on your MacBook Pro."

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 44
I can definitely say that the bass from the headphone out on these are well defined deep and quite authoritative. A bit surprised actually. Still assessing, but the power and bass is a stand out. This still actually powers the HD 6XX quite well with juice to spare.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 44
Just picked up my M1Pro MacBook Pro today. First thing I wanted to test was the 3.5mm output.

First impression: oh wow, it sounds really good. Looks like I won't be needing my Lotoo S1 anymore.

How is the latency btw?

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 44
Gave a 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/1 a try with Stella and found some irregularities in a track my tube amps largely mask. Tried higher impedance with HD820... Could still pick out those issues but not as easily. 96 24 Cheek to Cheek with Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga. Not evident with a McIntosh C8 to HMA200. Comfortable listening level 25% with Stellia and 50% with HD820, 75% being very loud, and you could go 100% with the higher impedance cans but that is crazy loud. Did better than any other lap top I have heard on a wide selection of tracks with plenty of room to drive the headphones I own. Apple isn't pushing this feature but it seems in line with the upgrades to Apple Music in recent months. Most buyers will be pleased. Very nice but not a replacement for a niche DAC and amp. Our hobby is safe, for now.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 44
Gave a 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/1 a try with Stella and found some irregularities in a track my tube amps largely mask. Tried higher impedance with HD820... Could still pick out those issues but not as easily. 96 24 Cheek to Cheek with Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga. Not evident with a McIntosh C8 to HMA200. Comfortable listening level 25% with Stellia and 50% with HD820, 75% being very loud, and you could go 100% with the higher impedance cans but that is crazy loud. Did better than any other lap top I have heard on a wide selection of tracks with plenty of room to drive the headphones I own. Apple isn't pushing this feature but it seems in line with the upgrades to Apple Music in recent months. Most buyers will be pleased. Very nice but not a replacement for a niche DAC and amp. Our hobby is safe, for now.

Sounds like the M1 Pro does a better job that your setup considering it was able to reveal flaws in your music that your tube amps masked.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 44
edit: nvm.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 44
MKBHD tested a pair of Beyer DT770s in 250ohm flavor and commented on volume output: on the previous MacBook Pro he had to max the volume output for a comfortable listening level and on the new one it’s set at 65%. No comment on SQ

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 44
I've been testing out the 3.5mm output on a 2021 16" Max and I've found it be quite good as well with the Audeze MX4.

The only thing that kinda baffles me is Apple states 1.25v for lower impedance headphones but considering that's only 78 milliwatts at 20 ohms that's not even the minimum requirement to power MX4's according to Audeze (which is a minimum of 100 milliwatts and 150 milliwatts recommended). So the amp still isn't strong enough to power Audeze's most efficient headphones? There's plenty of room left on the volume at my regular listing levels so I guess it's okay unless my calculations are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back