MacBook Pro 2016
May 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #31 of 53
Huh? You have no idea what you are talking about......

Post #25 details my MacBook Pro setup. Oh, and now I have a $2300 DAC instead of a $250 DAC. I don't think I wasted a cent.....

????2300 dac so what? My dac worth $4800. My macbook pro 2016 max out including SSD, OK?
I think you just have your brain burnt. When I do A&B between my 4800 setup and the raw macbook. They are both good. OK???? It is surely a great improvement.

Apple engineers are way smarter.

May 26, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #33 of 53
Does the 3.5mm port double as a optical out?

Not the Late 2016 MacBook Pro models. The optical implementation isn't all that great on the older models that do have it.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #35 of 53
What is not working great? I thought optical is very simple technology even a sub $200 dap can implement properly :triportsad:

One word:

Jitter

May 27, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #36 of 53
Whilst I'd say the DAC inside the MBP is good, I wouldn't get rid of my Mojo for it alone. If I didn't have the Mojo in the first place and like to listen loud often, I probably wouldn't miss an external DAC however.

Both my HA-1 and more specifically Mojo sound much more musical to me and drive my HD800S/iSine20/SE846 with more authority. If I'm travelling light I could make do with just the MBP although the Mojo fits perfectly inside the SE846 hard case which is my mobile rig.

May 27, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 53
Whilst I'd say the DAC inside the MBP is good, I wouldn't get rid of my Mojo for it alone. If I didn't have the Mojo in the first place and like to listen loud often, I probably wouldn't miss an external DAC however.

Both my HA-1 and more specifically Mojo sound much more musical to me and drive my HD800S/iSine20/SE846 with more authority. If I'm travelling light I could make do with just the MBP although the Mojo fits perfectly inside the SE846 hard case which is my mobile rig.
to be honest the mojo is small enough for it to be good for travel

Jun 15, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #38 of 53
You guys must hear it with Campfire Vega's... The DAC is amazing. I'm waiting for my dx200 and will compare it side by side. However it easily beats my oppo ha2 se. I also got schiit multi bit and lcd 3s. I must also compare those.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #39 of 53
Huh? You have no idea what you are talking about......

Post #25 details my MacBook Pro setup. Oh, and now I have a $2300 DAC instead of a $250 DAC. I don't think I wasted a cent.....
I read your first comment about the Lyr/Modi mb and thought "it had better." I am a huge fan of Schiit multibit dacs. And the Lyr2 for that matter. That the MBP is remotely in the same league is pretty impressive.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #40 of 53
I am gonna go check it by myself when I have some free time. I feel like it is kind of being romantic at modest words to think that a laptop DAC sounding side by side or even better than some highly regarded well-known outboard DACs.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #42 of 53
Whatever dac chip is inside it there still be a lot of jitter if you don't connect it to an external dac.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #43 of 53
I just got the a new MBP 15 with touch bar mid 2017 (with updated GPU and Kaby Lake processor and some other minors I am not sure, reckons the internal dac stays the same). In a nutshell, it drives my DT1990 Pro (250 Ohm) with noticeably better revealing capability than my Roland Quad Capture which is not bad at all and my HA2-SE (although I have to turn up the volume to 85% or above for a listenable level, max volume is not very far from HA2-SE in high gain). From memory, it gives my ears a more stereo feel than the Mojo (the only thing I do not like about the Mojo). Really thinking of switching to more sensitive cans to go absolute mobile with this (the dongles now takes the space of the dac/amp in my backpack lol)

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #44 of 53
Well I owned the unit since Dec 2016 but never once used the phone jack. It is the 2016 version of 13' screen with touch bar and 2.9GHz, Intel 6267U 'Skylake'.

Today my stupid Chinese desktop DAC/Amp Yulong DAART Canary was dead with some serious hums and buzzes, so I was forced to use the laptop's phone out since my portable amp had run out of battery.
To my surprise, the overpriced laptop sounds darn good! No 'warm' distortion present as with the 10-Ohm Yulong DAART Canary.
It sounds pretty much like my transparent sources, say, sources with zero-ohm output impedance.
(I personally believe the main culprit for distortion is output Z, this is what makes tube amp sounds warm, IMO.)

Speaking of power output, which is the most important for me. Many sources on the net including this one say MBPs generally have 2Vrms max output. It can push my 250-Ohm, 96dB/mW Beyers and 62-Ohm, 106dB/V AKG K7xx to at least 90dBSPL as (measured by an iOS app) at max power on average music that's not subject to stupid loudness compression, and I'm quite sure it can go a few dB louder on tracks with brick wall compression. On very quiet tracks eg classical recordings, AKG K7XXs are loud enough, but DT880s can be very slightly too quiet to my liking. I'd ask for a dB or two more.
I measured the maximum SPL out of AKG K7XX using a 1KHz test tone at 0dBFS and found out that the SPL was around 98dB. At 1KHz, the AKGs have around 66Ohm of impedance, so 90dB equals to ~0.2xVrms, and 98dB equals to 0.4xVrms. On DT880s, the same file plays at around 93-94dB, which needs almost 0.5Vrms. So I guess the most headphones should work fine with it, at reasonable volume. Even the stubborn planar HE6s need exactly the laptop's limit 2Vrms to go 95dBFS. This indicates the laptop is pretty efficient, even for the more demanding headphones at <90-95dB on test tone or <80-85dB on music. I think it's powerful enough for most (my interpretation of 'most' may differ from yours) headphones on the market.

One compliant here is that it hisses on my very sensitive JH Michelle, but from what I could remember the hiss is less loud than that of my iPhone 6s on the same earphones. I sold the IEMs so I couldn't compare the hiss, since most of my current cans aren't very sensitive and efficient and thus are dead quiet on this stylish notebook.

notes:

I decided to conduct a blind test (at matched volume, calibrated by using test tone) with the laptop and Xduoo X3, a pretty transparent DAP, and failed to tell the two apart. So I had concluded for myself that the laptop's amp 'design (ie specs)', at worst, is much more decent than my $250 desktop DAC/Amp.
I do not have the equipments necessary to properly measure its audio performance for the sake of objective evaluation, but I hope in the future someone here with the luxury would be interested in doing so as much as I do and measure this beautiful and capable machine.

Apple for sure has way more intelligent minds than audio companies do. I trust their products. I think most of their products sound reasonably decent, objectively speaking. Especially my iPad mini sounds quite great and identical to the 2016 MBP(TB). iPhone 6s on the other hand, sounds a bit strange on most sighted sessions with the 10-ish Ohm JH Michelle, with tendency towards warm side, and I blame it on its 5-6Ohm Z out.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #45 of 53
I still listen to the MBP 2016 Touchstrip with just the PM-3s. It does a great job with them. After several software updates which fixed niggles it seems to be an acceptable machine. The audio is one of its best features. I have a Fulla, a Mojo, and now a Magni 3. I am thinking of getting a Modi 2 MB and an Asgard and doing a major shootout with all the combinations. My guess would be that amps might help with some headphones but it's going to be hard to beat the MBP on the digital side. Surprising to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back