Mac: What Audio Player you use ?
Mar 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
Im a mac user running osx 10.4 and wondering if others use iTunes for there music or a diff audio player/ organizer ? Im currently using iTunes with my music library and wondering if there is anything better I should no about. Thanks

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 17
I would like to know this too. I am currently using iTunes (latest), VLC player, and Realplayer.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 17
Well Cog is pretty good but at the same time very basic but its got the bases covered with just about every format so it really is a matter of preference. But check it out! http://cogosx.sourceforge.net/
The founder of hydrogen audio stated he would be working on a new player, Euphonos, late last year but he hasn't provided any updates anytime soon.
mad.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 17
I use iTunes exclusively on my Mac and PC for MP3 and AAC files. I love the drag and drop simplicity of it all. Then again I'm not an MP3 control freak, so I don't need everything tagged and named just-so. As long as everything is in a folder labelled by artist and album name I'm fine.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni
iTunes here as well. No complaints, except I wish we had "sub playlists" (the right term for this doea not come to me, but you know what I mean).

No, please elaborate. What's the idea?

For audio, I use iTunes for music, sometimes also Quicktime (usually for single demotracks and so on I download so they don't clutter my library). Realplayer only when it cannot be avoided.

BTW, if you're on a Mac & use iTunes, check out the excellent SizzlingKeys (free) and iVolume (shareware)

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 17
I use iTunes - I haven't really found anything better on Mac, and I did look around.

iTunes for Mac is better than the Windows version, because of Applescript, SizzlingKeys and (shallower reason) its look fits in better with OSX. I like Smart Playlists A LOT and it does a good job of managing a lot of tracks with the search field.

There's also a nice utility called Clutter you might be interested in if you listen to pop music and tend to listen to only a few albums at a time. I don't use it, but I've heard its useful:

http://www.sprote.com/clutter/

I think a Songbird beta is coming soon, but that looks atm like little more than a cross-platform, open source clone of iTunes.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
No, please elaborate. What's the idea?

For audio, I use iTunes for music, sometimes also Quicktime (usually for single demotracks and so on I download so they don't clutter my library). Realplayer only when it cannot be avoided.

BTW, if you're on a Mac & use iTunes, check out the excellent SizzlingKeys (free) and iVolume (shareware)

What I mean is that I wish I could have playlists organized as folders and subfolders. For example "classical" / "Mozart" / "symphonies" / ...

gio

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 17
You can org folders in iTunes. From the file menu select new folder. Then when you have the folders created drag the albums into the folders. (iTunes 6.04)

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfa
You can org folders in iTunes. From the file menu select new folder. Then when you have the folders created drag the albums into the folders. (iTunes 6.04)

there you go. Thanks ! I will check it out. It had to happen, just makes plenty of sense.

gio

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 17
I really do like iTunes.

I used to love Windows Media Player, and I still like WMA format a lot.

But now I love iTunes and Mac OS X.

Too bad it's become such a large and bloated program, but I still like it, and not much to configure or learn. It just works. I love the interface.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell_Gopher
There's also a nice utility called Clutter you might be interested in if you listen to pop music and tend to listen to only a few albums at a time. I don't use it, but I've heard its useful:

http://www.sprote.com/clutter/

I used Clutter a few times to get Album artwork into iTunes. I wish iTunes would do this automatically on ripping like Windows Media Player. It only gives album art on purchased 128k at iTunes store.

Clutter worked ok, but I don't really use it anymore because i'm not really into album art and the program was a bit slow on my system when i used it. Good link for others though.

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
I used Clutter a few times to get Album artwork into iTunes. I wish iTunes would do this automatically on ripping like Windows Media Player. It only gives album art on purchased 128k at iTunes store.

Not really automatic, but there's an Apple Script that allows to google for album art of selected titles. Doug should have it. You select *all* tracks of an album, then use the script, and just drag the image you like into the album art box. Not really automatic, but at least you get to select the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back