Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Mar 3, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,746 of 3,495
With a thread this size, it's really difficult for a beginner to figure out what's what about all the different players.

I used the guide at the start of the thread and went through essentially all of them, and downloaded and evaluated 5 of them (I think).  After about a month of using several players, and not being super impressed, I decided to give JRiver Media Center a try.  Initially I didn't include it in my evaluation because it was a port of a PC program and the way it's listed in this thread makes it seem like a non-functional beta or alpha.

I'm glad all the other players had some sort of shortcoming though, because JRiver does just about everything I could ask for and it does it well.  It's interface takes some learning.  It's features aren't always obvious.  But it does SO MUCH and has so many options, it seems like I'm only using a fraction of it's functionality.

The biggest pluses for me about this program are:

1.  Presentation of the library.  It's easy to find what you want and you can do most of that visually, and it's a pleasing experience.   "Large beautiful cover art display"
2.  "Auto import" allows it to scan one or more directories in near real time, adding a subtracting music files on the fly.  This is more than awesome for situations like renaming directories (funny named album that you remove special characters from for example), everyday adding of new music, and of course trashing music you don't want any more.  It even picks up new tags that I add from external programs should I choose to do so.
3.  It's ability to find and save cover art is the best of any program I've tried.  In 99% of albums I've tried, I've been able to find good quality, fairly large files, and have them saved to be used later.  This is surprisingly hard to do with other programs; it's really cool that JRiver does it so well.
4.  The developers are actively working on it, fixing problems, taking feature requests, and releasing very regularly.  More regularly than I'm used to with almost any program of this type.

This mac port has it's issues here and there.  Like I said, there's definitely a big dose of "that's not obvious, how do I do that?" going on with it.  But if you get past that part, it's really a fantastic player.

If you're in the same boat I was a few months ago, trying to figure out which mac player to use to play high resolution audio, FLACs, etc, you should really give it a try.  I'm glad I did.

Brian.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,748 of 3,495
bgentry, great write up on the JRiver player. I like JRivers UI(user interface) better than all the other players for Mac OS X that I've tried.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,749 of 3,495
Any A+ users on 2.0x noticing a difference in integer mode 1 vs 2 ?

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #2,751 of 3,495
  I did a quick skim through the pages and wanted to know if there was a music player that was like foobar where I could customize the way it looks and one that has a spectrogram, oh and of course, plays FLAC?

JRMC is your best bet but it's a complicated beast.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #2,753 of 3,495
Finally got around to trying Audirvana 2.0.9 - It's the baby of Audirvana 1.5.10 / 1.5.12 and Amarra 3.0

Comparison to 1.5.10:
- Increased transparency and resolution
- Still intimate sounding in comparison to Amarra 3.0 but more open sounding than Audirvana Plus
- Bass resolution and speed better than 1.5.12 (almost Amarra like - very, very close)
- Ditches the laid-back sound for a more lively and musical feel
- Mid range is Amarra like (I think Amarra is still ahead by a hair of margin)
- Improved imaging and treble response - pulls off air without adding fatigue
- Best feature is soundstage hands down - does 3D better than Amarra. Everything falls into place perfectly. HD 800's are really able to capture this. I have yet to put my speakers through 2.0.9, but at least on HD 800, 2.0.9 is more favourable to Amarra 3.0
- Soundstage - SERIOUSLY - it's sounding like a high end streamer (never heard better on a computer setup)
- Amarra is a touch more aggressive with a bigger bite (although Audirvana might be more closer to the sweet spot - expect variance between system)
- I can distinguish this very easily running the HD 800 out of neutral studio gear

Completely different beast from previous Audirvana versions. It's voiced exceptionally well. I might prefer it to Amarra 3.0 in many cases.

Overall, super happy with 2.0.9 - my favourite sounding Audirvana player to date. In terms of SQ ALONE, I could live with either Amarra 3.0 or Audirvana 2.0.9. I can finally put Audirvana on equal footing with Amarra. Been waiting so long to say this!

EDIT: Wanted to mention I'm running Amarra 3.0.2. Will report back if Amarra 3.0.3 changes anything.

EDIT2: If you have a HD 800, you must absolutely try Audirvana 2.0.9!!! Game/headphone changer. This is the closest I've gotten on headphones (HD 800 specifically) to sounding like ATC monitors in a custom built studio room. It's been a long time since I've had a smile this big. Absolutely destroying Amarra 3.0.2 on HD 800.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2,755 of 3,495
This is the first time I've felt no need to get a dedicated streamer like Aries for sound quality benefits. I'll probably throw in a decent re-clocker like Gustard U12 and call it a day. All this needs is a streaming engine and iOS app.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #2,756 of 3,495
  This is the first time I've felt no need to get a dedicated streamer like Aries for sound quality benefits. I'll probably throw in a decent re-clocker like Gustard U12 and call it a day. All this needs is a streaming engine and iOS app.

what is the point of a "re-clocker" in this scenario?  I assume you are referring to a word clock?

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,757 of 3,495
  Finally got around to trying Audirvana 2.0.9 - It's the baby of Audirvana 1.5.10 / 1.5.12 and Amarra 3.0

Comparison to 1.5.10:
- Still intimate sounding in comparison to Amarra 3.0 but more open sounding than Audirvana Plus
- Bass resolution and speed better than 1.5.12 (almost Amarra like - very, very close)
- Best feature is soundstage hands down - does 3D better than Amarra. Everything falls into place perfectly. HD 800's are really able to capture this. I have yet to put my speakers through 2.0.9, but at least on HD 800, 2.0.9 is more favourable to Amarra 3.0
- Soundstage - SERIOUSLY - it's sounding like a high end streamer (never heard better on a computer setup)
- Amarra is a touch more aggressive with a bigger bite (although Audirvana might be more closer to the sweet spot - expect variance between system)
- I can distinguish this very easily running the HD 800 out of neutral studio gear

Completely different beast from previous Audirvana versions. It's voiced exceptionally well. I might prefer it to Amarra 3.0 in many cases.

Overall, super happy with 2.0.9 - my favourite sounding Audirvana player to date. In terms of SQ ALONE, I could live with either Amarra 3.0 or Audirvana 2.0.9. I can finally put Audirvana on equal footing with Amarra. Been waiting so long to say this!

EDIT: Wanted to mention I'm running Amarra 3.0.2. Will report back if Amarra 3.0.3 changes anything.

EDIT2: If you have a HD 800, you must absolutely try Audirvana 2.0.9!!! Game/headphone changer. This is the closest I've gotten on headphones (HD 800 specifically) to sounding like ATC monitors in a custom built studio room. It's been a long time since I've had a smile this big. Absolutely destroying Amarra 3.0.2 on HD 800.

Heck, yeah.
A+ 2.0 sounding great even out of my basic Macbook Air Cirrus internal DAC chip now (shock horror) !
Decibel is nice n natural, but its GUI was a bit too simple/annoying.
A+ 2.0 silky smooth now....loving the way album art streams in-and-out depending on whether your folder is connected from a drive or not.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #2,759 of 3,495

Comparison to 1.5.10:

It's a significant improvement. Rock guitar sounds much better now on HD800s.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,760 of 3,495
  what is the point of a "re-clocker" in this scenario?  I assume you are referring to a word clock?

I'd be adding the U12 for a few reasons. Cleaner power, all outputs are hot at the same time, AES output especially, maybe newer XMOS chip in comparison to the XMOS in my Dangerous Source (although it works just fine - no qualms). More useful for my Late 2009 iMac then my 2012 Retina Macbook Pro with SSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back