Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
May 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2,131 of 3,495
I don't think you can, at least easily.
I try to do a 3-thrids soft. architecture to reroute VLC to Audirvana + through iTunes & using Audirvana+ as integrated to iTunes.
The idea was to stream the audio from Vlc to iTunes through the network. That part works (with the need of recode the stream, which means degrading the SQ).
However, even if A+ is launched and set up as integrated to iTunes, it doesn't capture stream, whatever stream it is (neither from vlc nor from a webRadio...)
On other way to do it would be to do the "iTunes integration" of A+ for VLC, but That, is another story, and without the source code of A+, I don't see
even if we find out how it works in details, how to implement it above A+ & VLC itself.

Also you can split your movie into two files (audio + video), and ... try to start playing them, one in A+, one in VLC... in the same time ! 
etysmile.gif

May 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2,132 of 3,495
I also can report zero issues with Mavericks.

May 13, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #2,133 of 3,495
No no, I said that Clementine was buggy with Mavericks !
A+ rocks with it !

And aside Clementine, and few complete freeze (I had to restart my laptop) I cannot explain, I'm pretty happy with Mavericks !

May 15, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,134 of 3,495
If I'm reading correctly, pure music seems like the best dsd player for mac?  

Anyways I'm using the trial version - What i have to leave "organize iTunes media" unchecked if i want to use it with dsd? So weird.  So now i have one version of the album "pointing" to the dsd file (which i understand the need for, but...).  Am I not doing something right?  I read some people have a separate folder for dsd within their iTunes folder but I don't understand how pm can still point to the album that way...

May 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,135 of 3,495
  If I'm reading correctly, pure music seems like the best dsd player for mac?  

Anyways I'm using the trial version - What i have to leave "organize iTunes media" unchecked if i want to use it with dsd? So weird.  So now i have one version of the album "pointing" to the dsd file (which i understand the need for, but...).  Am I not doing something right?  I read some people have a separate folder for dsd within their iTunes folder but I don't understand how pm can still point to the album that way...

FYI, just got an email that they released version 2.0 today.  It's a tad buggy (as all x.0 software is).

I use FLAC files and have the same issue as you.  I might be wrong, but I assume that folks who have the separate folder for DSD just manually move those files in, and then they have the "pointer" files pointing to the original music files (FLAC or DSD) in that */iTunes/DSD folder (or whatever it is).  

May 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,137 of 3,495
Oh no. Audirvana+ is buggy with Mavericks? That puts a damper on my plans for a new MBP. My iMac on Mountain Lion works fine.

It may be Mavericks that's buggy. I just can't get it to play nicely with any of my DACs via USB. The thing is, iTunes will only play music at 44.1kHz (unless I'm doing something wrong) so I play hd music through A+. Since there seem to be problems with hd music, either A+, Mavericks, my computer, or both of my DACs is the problem. I can rule out my computer and the DACs, but I have no idea if A+ or Mavericks is the problem. The problems, by the way, are:

Incorrect bitrate information about DAC after computer sleeps (this is definitely a Mavericks problem)
"stuck" bitrate/bitdepth information. A+ can't change to music with different bitrates/bit depths (i.e. song one at 16/44.1, song two at 24/48). This doesn't happen all of the time. A+ crashes when this happens.
A+ unable to correctly read bitrate or bit depth information. A+ crashes when this happens.

May 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,138 of 3,495

It may be Mavericks that's buggy. I just can't get it to play nicely with any of my DACs via USB. The thing is, iTunes will only play music at 44.1kHz (unless I'm doing something wrong) so I play hd music through A+. Since there seem to be problems with hd music, either A+, Mavericks, my computer, or both of my DACs is the problem. I can rule out my computer and the DACs, but I have no idea if A+ or Mavericks is the problem. The problems, by the way, are:

Incorrect bitrate information about DAC after computer sleeps (this is definitely a Mavericks problem)
"stuck" bitrate/bitdepth information. A+ can't change to music with different bitrates/bit depths (i.e. song one at 16/44.1, song two at 24/48). This doesn't happen all of the time. A+ crashes when this happens.
A+ unable to correctly read bitrate or bit depth information. A+ crashes when this happens.

That's weird. I've got A+ working on the Invicta, Oppo BDP-105, Apex Glacier, Tralucent DacAmp One, Herus, etc. all without problems. I'm on 10.9.2 & 1.5.12. I do use A+ in iTunes integrated mode and have AAC, MP3, FLAC, and DSD. I've not noticed any bitrate issues but I'll pay more attention to that in the future.

May 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,139 of 3,495
I'd really like to know if anyone else is seeing something like this:

Queue up one song at 16/44 followed by another at 24/192 (All FLAC files). The 16/44 song will play but A+ will just stop when it moves to the 24/192 song. This does not always happen, but a way of making it happen is to let the computer sleep for 15 mins or more. Wake up the computer and then try again. The only fix is to change USB ports.

(BTW: I never use integrated mode. If I want music from iTunes, I use the little Music icon in the A+ file browser.)

May 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,140 of 3,495
Great thread, I'm on Mavericks. 

Audirvana Plus just crashes, almost blew my ears with noise! 
[edit: got this to work too]
Fidelia sounds great but is buggy, sporadically kills the left channel.
[edit1: Fidelia seems to have settle down with using it in exclusive mode.]

JRiver has no retina support and didn't manage to play 192 formats, buggy clock switching too.

I'm using an UA Apollo Duet Duo into an HD800.

Trying the other options. Fedelia really sounds the best, much better than VOX.

edit2:

I think I like the sound of VOX the best with flac, Fidelia seem to be adding some thing with MBIT+ muddying the highs to my ears, I could live with VOX, the interface seem to feet into my workflow better too, quite slick in it's simplicity. 

May 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,141 of 3,495
So you got A+ to work? What caused the noise? I've never had noise caused by A+. Interesting that you like VOX. I agree it has a nice interface, but I didn't feel it added an improvement over iTunes. Fidelia has been a huge letdown over the last couple of years. I liked it and thought it offered a lot of promise, but it's too buggy.

I won't use JRiver until they make a proper mac app. I don't understand why they seem intent on creating what in effect is a port of a Windows program. Menus go in the menubar, not in the app window, for example!

May 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,142 of 3,495
  So you got A+ to work? What caused the noise? I've never had noise caused by A+. Interesting that you like VOX. I agree it has a nice interface, but I didn't feel it added an improvement over iTunes. Fidelia has been a huge letdown over the last couple of years. I liked it and thought it offered a lot of promise, but it's too buggy.

I won't use JRiver until they make a proper mac app. I don't understand why they seem intent on creating what in effect is a port of a Windows program. Menus go in the menubar, not in the app window, for example!

Since I use this system to track guitars I usually keep the sample rate at 192kHz.

I've been testing all players, kind like a roulette, play pause, next player, play pause and so on.

What I found is there are two types of playback, ones that up sample to a preset sample rate, and others that switch the DAC's sampling rate itself.

The noise I heard from A+ was when after I pause it playing an up sampled track, and move to another player that doesn't upsample, so the audio interface is not in the right sampling rate when I go back to any of the up sampling players. Noise here is track being played at the wrong sample rate, sometimes they recover on re caching, sometimes they don't, may be how my AU interface handles things as well.

I do find the upsampling players  sound better vs sample rate switching. Specially when using the iZotope up sampling library. It took me a while to wrap my head around all this.

A+ was hard crashing my system today before I cleared the old playlist for some reason, unacceptable, but does sound nice up sampling.

In the end I realise I need the iZotope upsampler to always keep my DAC at 192kHz. The improvement I'm hearing is this up sampling.

As for which player? It then comes down to interface and stability between the iZotope capable players. Can you confirm I've got this right up to now?

I'm using a flagship mac book pro with an i7 with 16GB and SSD, I find no difference with cached playback. I was confused earlier when I though it helped. The AU Apollo Twin is over thunderbolt. My hearing tops out just over 16kHz.

I assume lot of the instability was cased by the running multiple players some up sampling, and some sample rate switching concurrently, although not playing at the same time needless to say.

This iZotope up sampling I assume is equivalent to traditional HiFi CD players that claim things like 'x8 oversampling', am I right?

Since I don't think any of the free players upsample, I'll need to pick one.

I agree with you about JRiver, it's atrocious on OSX, specially retina display, another issue is it's inability to handle multiple displays which is shocking to say the least, while charging a fair price!

I wish VOX had up sampling, the interface is the ONLY modern one around it seems, I'd pay for it.

The others are so bad, trying to make paid applications look like hifi separates is so dumb!

I haven't decided on which player of the iZotope capable players to settle down with. On the caching thing I'd guess that using higher processing while upsampling would benefit from it.

I hope what I trying to say is making some sense, do let me know if I've got the bull by the tail here :)

May 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,143 of 3,495
I'm going to stick with A+, I like the iTunes integrated mode, adding tracks to iTunes bit is awesome.

Suddenly the UI doesn't look so bad either, it can safely be ignored for what it does.

SOLD!

May 24, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #2,144 of 3,495
Any of you run A+ and Macbook Air etc direct to your cans for transportable use...no DAC/AMP ?
Pretty good sound considering at 24/44 for lower impedance cans such as Fostex T50RP's NAD HP-50s.
Nwavguy did an appraisal of the Air as it is then if you add in A+ on direct/integer mode it is a pretty simple route to quality sound 24-bit on battery power with A+ lifting the FLAC out of the OSX native sound processing domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back