Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,731 of 3,495
^^^ JohnBooty, all the music players that I use, JRiver, iTunes, BitPerect, VOX, and Audirvana+ 2.0.9, are all pretty similar when it comes to display. From VOX and BP which are minimalist, to JRiver which can do quite a lot. The Amarra music player is real nice, but kinda spendy.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,732 of 3,495
  I've been looking for a fairly minimal player for OSX that lets me customize the way that track information is displayed - similar to the "custom columns" you can have in Foobar or the "expression columns" you can have in JRiver Media Center.

Does anybody know of one?

I've tried most of the players mentioned in this thread and haven't found such a feature. But it's possible I missed an application, or that I downloaded one and simply overlooked the feature I'm looking for.

(I know there's a version of JRiver Media Center for OSX, but it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.)

(To clarify, when I say "customize" - I don't need an app that is fully skinnable like Foobar or JRiver. I don't necessarily mind if the app is skinnable, but all I'm interested in is customizing the way that track information is displayed.)

well, there were a few mentioned in the thread that allow customization of track data.  If you did not like them or if it was not enough data, then you may have to search some of the lesser known ones for that functionality at perhaps the expense of sound quality.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #2,734 of 3,495
  I saw quite a few that allow editing of metadata such as ID3 tags, but primarily I'm looking for the ability to alter the data shown in columns - again, like Foobar or JRiver.

agree - someone needs to sit down and make a proper native mac skin for JRiver... something that doesn't look like an afterthought.  Noire Dark is what I use now and it is decent but i'd love it if they sat one of their own down for a single release to knock out a respectable skin for it. Some things about it beguile me like the single pixel wide drag bars between windows.  Also would like a more minimal UI where the 6 dozen online services and esoteric options aren't visible.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2,735 of 3,495

agree - someone needs to sit down and make a proper native mac skin for JRiver... something that doesn't look like an afterthought.  Noire Dark is what I use now and it is decent but i'd love it if they sat one of their own down for a single release to knock out a respectable skin for it. Some things about it beguile me like the single pixel wide drag bars between windows.  Also would like a more minimal UI where the 6 dozen online services and esoteric options aren't visible.

+1 on the need for a native-like skin.

I don't see online services when I view JRiver.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,737 of 3,495
Feb 22, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #2,738 of 3,495
Well, yeah, but they can be removed by creating custom views. It's actually a very powerful interface but very confusing initially...

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2,739 of 3,495
very confusing even after 3 years... i don't even try to change anything anymore, it just never works the way i expect and i got tired of fighting it.  things i close end up open again on the next run.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #2,741 of 3,495
  very confusing even after 3 years... i don't even try to change anything anymore, it just never works the way i expect and i got tired of fighting it.  things i close end up open again on the next run.

I used to have exactly the same issues. Then I found this thread...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/

Almost everything is dealt with there. The reason I can't tell you how to set it up myself is because I'm not sure I remember how.

What skin is that? Looks way better then mine. Tried downloading some from their website but it just gives me a small .mjp file that does nothing.

That skin is one of the built-in ones. Go to View > Skin > Purity.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2,742 of 3,495
wow, very nice... not sure why i never noticed that one... could have sworn i clicked through them all.  that one just needs to move the min/close/max buttons to the left and use the mac style buttons and it is good enough for me.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2,743 of 3,495
  wow, very nice... not sure why i never noticed that one... could have sworn i clicked through them all.  that one just needs to move the min/close/max buttons to the left and use the mac style buttons and it is good enough for me.

Yeah, you wouldn't think the window buttons would be a problem but I go top-left every single time.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2,744 of 3,495
maybe just take that skin and swap out just the buttons with the buttons from the Noire Dark skin which has the correct osx buttons. Would be real good if a skin could choose based on the os or to have the basic window buttons not managed by the skin but added by the JRiver itself.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #2,745 of 3,495
It would be even better if JRiver would just pull their fingers out and create a proper native skin in the first place. It surely can't be beyond them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back