M50's Dilemma
Jan 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZyvyZ

New Head-Fier
Having just received a pair of ATH M50's for xmas, i was considering returning them and getting either some DT770 Pro 80's or Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. I listen to various types of music (RnB, Electronica, Reggae, Folk, Classical) and also do a little music production!
I gather my alternatives are more bass orientated but ultimately sound quality is important.
I previously had some Sure SRH440s which have somehow totally fallen apart!!
Should I keep the M50's (which I have not opened yet, so have not heard) or go for one of the Beyers' or even go for something else?
And are the Custom Ones any good?
Thanks for your help!

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Having just received a pair of ATH M50's for xmas, i was considering returning them and getting either some DT770 Pro 80's or Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. I listen to various types of music (RnB, Electronica, Reggae, Folk, Classical) and also do a little music production!
I gather my alternatives are more bass orientated but ultimately sound quality is important.
I previously had some Sure SRH440s which have somehow totally fallen apart!!
Should I keep the M50's (which I have not opened yet, so have not heard) or go for one of the Beyers' or even go for something else?
And are the Custom Ones any good?
Thanks for your help!

Can't speak to the Custom 1's, but I loved the DT770s. They aren't IDEAL for monitoring/mixing, but if your primary goal is pleasure listening, they are spot on for your type of music. I owned both the M50s and DT770s, and felt the 770s were better in every possible way. The only problem is, they may need some amplification. If I were you, I would get away from the M50s as fast as possible. Where did you buy them?

I know Guitar Center sells both the M50s and Beyers. If there is one near you, you can always go in and try both headphones out, that way you don't have to open the M50s. They also price match online stores, which means you can usually get the DT770s for around $170. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I got them from Amazon UK. The DT770s cost about £5 more!

Totally worth the upgrade for 5 more IMO. Amazon US is good with returns, even if you open the item. I tried a second pair of M50s from Amazon and they sounded terrible. I just sent them back, and Amazon was fine with it. Depending on where you live in the UK, you may want to check around to see if there is a Beyer dealer nearby. It is always good to try the headphones out before you buy them. I hate buying stuff online because you don't know if you are going to like it before you buy it. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Totally worth the upgrade for 5 more IMO. Amazon US is good with returns, even if you open the item. I tried a second pair of M50s from Amazon and they sounded terrible. I just sent them back, and Amazon was fine with it. Depending on where you live in the UK, you may want to check around to see if there is a Beyer dealer nearby. It is always good to try the headphones out before you buy them. I hate buying stuff online because you don't know if you are going to like it before you buy it. 

biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 7
I also bought a pair of ATH-M50s for Christmas..I wasn't very impressed, you say you need more bass? Don't open the box and send them back, these have very little bass impact, I wouldn't recommend them to bassheads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back