M50 vs A900x (and GMP 8.35D)
Jun 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PCHU

New Head-Fier
Well...
My M50s are deteriorating (the pads are cracked as I don't know what and the headband is looking really rough), but the drivers work fine.
This wouldn't be a problem if the wiring didn't get screwed up on it due to me accidentally applying force on the sides of it while the plug was in the jack...
Now, the cable is really stiff in places and the wires are exposed (it was the best job my dad and his friend could do), but it's getting to where if I don't twist it a certain way, either it goes mono or I can't hear.

In comes the German Maestro GMP 8.35D.
I ordered it due to the excellent reviews which basically hailed it as god of the new world, so I thought they'd do well in replacing my M50s.
I was expecting something even more amazing, and in some ways, I got what I wanted.
The isolation is certainly crazy good (used it for two days on a road trip to California and a fair amount of the outside noise was gone) and the detail is clearly there, but...
The soundstage and neutral signature aren't for me.
Not trolling at all: It feels more compressed than my M50s, regardless of how many times I read that M50s has a terrible soundstage, this just ain't the case.
I heard that the oval pads really opened up the 'stage, but I'd just rather go with something I'll find more enjoyable.
I like classical and orchestral, so I'm looking at the ATH-A900x because they're closed and are (reportedly) expansive in soundstage, not to mention they're (generally regarded as) an improvement on the M50s in every way.

So, what do you guys think?
If my ears are this way, is the A900x right for me?
I'm just looking for a closed pair with a great soundstage and detail across the board -- flat response doesn't mean much to me anymore, I just want the music to be enjoyable.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 2
ATH-A900X
Digbuy is selling them for $154.99, plus tax & shipping.
I wear my A900Xs a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back