M2Tech HiFace or LCD2 Re-cable?
Apr 11, 2011 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mangler

100+ Head-Fier

Hi All, I'm thinking about tweaking my setup but I'm not sure which option will make the biggest difference in increasing sound quality. I'm a newb so I'd appreciate any advice or comments from knowledgeable people that have made any of these changes. 

My current setup is MacBook Pro-> Pure Music->Optical-> DacMagic->Luminous Monarch II RCA->Schiit Lyr-> LCD2

I've heard a lot of people say that a good coaxial cable beats an optical cable in terms of SQ, which is why I'm considering the HiFace. However, I've also heard that the optical and coaxial inputs on the DacMagic sound pretty much the same. So, my question is whether or not it would be worth it to invest in the HiFace and a good coaxial cable, given that my Mac already has a decent optical out. 

My second option is to re-cable my LCD2s (which came with the new ADZ-5 cable), possibly with a set from ALO, Norse, Moon, or Double Helix (has anybody tried their new LCD2 cables??). I do believe good cables make a difference, but some of these are quite expensive, so I'd like to hear any comments from anybody who owns these and can say if the increase in SQ is worth the cash.

I've already been through the posts about aftermarket LCD2 cables, so I'd more like to hear which tweak people think would make the biggest difference. Finally, like I said, I am a newb, so also let me know if you think these changes are pointless too. Really, I'm just looking for some education and good guidance.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 5
There are a lot of threads in this forum about this either optical or coaxial or this cable or another one. My personal opinion is that there is no significant difference in whatever you will try. Maybe a little one when using another cable but it is noit worth the money. So it will be better to spend in another pair of headphones to get another SQ :).

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Mangler, I’d personally go with the HiFace; that’s where you’re likely to here the most significant difference. I used to have the D’Magic and the HiFace did a good job at reducing jitter, to the point that I would not use the usb without it again. It didn’t remove it completely, but a good deal (I’d say about 80%). Also, I’d look for a decent built coaxial cable to connect it to your dac/pc.

Second I’d look for decent built rca i/c cables. And lastly I’d re-cable the LCD2’s.

OT: beware - there’re a few trolls on this forum that will reply to posts like yours on stuff they’ve actually never tried or have not experienced of whatsoever. Sort of Jehovah’s witnesses. beware. The world is full of idiots and here with get our share. :frowning2:

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
OT: beware - there’re a few trolls on this forum that will reply to posts like yours on stuff they’ve actually never tried or have not experienced of whatsoever. Sort of Jehovah’s witnesses. beware. The world is full of idiots and here with get our share. :frowning2:

Fortunately I have the HiFace as well as decent USB and RCA cables to tell my opinion :)

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for all of the advice everybody! I still haven't decided exactly what to do, so I think I may hold off on these things and save some cash for the moment. I'm certainly not unhappy with my setup, so I'll enjoy it "as is" for a while, save up, and maybe make some more substantial upgrades somewhere down the road. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back