M-audio transit line out question.
Mar 30, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

d2k5000

New Head-Fier
I was considering buying a M-audio Transit card, but I had a question about the line out. Is the line out a true line out? I tried searching, but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer. M-audio's web site calls it a "stereo line/headphone output". Is it amped? I have a pa2v2, so I would probably use it with the card if I bought the Transit. I also hear that the M-audio Transit is poor for gaming. Why is this true? Also, how does the M-audio Transit card sound compared to an E-mu 0404 or a Audigy zs platinum card? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 4
d2k5000 said:
I was considering buying a M-audio Transit card, but I had a question about the line out. Is the line out a true line out? I tried searching, but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer. M-audio's web site calls it a "stereo line/headphone output". Is it amped?
Yes. And Ive heard its actually an ok amp (not the customary POS amps most soundcards offer up)
Quote:

I have a pa2v2, so I would probably use it with the card if I bought the Transit.

That would work fine and dandy.
Quote:

I also hear that the M-audio Transit is poor for gaming. Why is this true?

No support for EAX, Creatives propriatary PC game sound engine.
Quote:

Also, how does the M-audio Transit card sound compared to an E-mu 0404 or a Audigy zs platinum card? Thanks.

If you are indeed gaming, forget messing with the Audigy 2 anything. You want the Xfi to be futureproof. I will offer a warning though. MANY people have had serious issues with the Xfi concerning poping and crackling sounds. Read up on their forums and decide if its worth the risk to you.
The Emu would sound fine but again no EAX gaming support. Its music music and music.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the information, but I still have a couple questions. So what you are saying is, it's not a true line out because it amplifies the signal, correct? Also, will it still sound better than an internal sound card, like an e-mu 0404 or an x-fi, with powered speakers or headphones with my pa2v2? I don't care a whole lot about gaming, so music would be my number one priority. I was originally considering the e-mu 0404, but I have recently heard some great reviews for the Transit. And finally, what volume would I want to leave the Transit at if I were to use my pa2v2 with it?

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 4
The M-Audio Transit Line Out/Headphone Out is amped with a good chip and decent power caps. I'm not sure I understand the combination Line Out/Headphone Out entirely and if/whether it actually switches automatically between the two.

I can say that many of the DIY experts consider it adequate for source testing of DIY amps using RMAA. I have found that the Line Out/Headphone is superior to my Sony D-NE10 Line Out. It is just as dynamic, has just as much impact, and is a tad more transparent. That could be just my particular combination and the resulting favorable impedance of my setup. So far, I've been using it with a CMoy Mint Tin and a range of headphones from the KSC75, Sony V6, and Senn HD580.

I highly recommend it. It is quite pure in its circuitry and has no corrupting software cr*p - just clean sampling drivers. You will have to spend $hundreds more to get a sound card with less noise and interference. Even the most expensive cards quote noise figures of the board alone, I believe, not the board in the noisy/interfering PC innards.

All that said, it is not very good for anything else but music. Gaming would be a waste. There are no special effects, surround, or multi-channel capability (except normal stereo), etc.

Edit: didn't see your last post - I have my PC's volume set to max with the Transit, and then adjust accordingly with my CMoy. As alluded to earlier, I have a rather long extension cable, and am using it with a wireless keyboard/mouse from a distance. That may benefit the impedance and gain matching. Except for that, I think it would work the same with your PA2V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back