M-Audio Studiophile Q40 - Review, and Appreciation
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 139
Just got mine.  Unboxed, screwed in the cable, hooked up my ZO/E-11 double amp combo, turned my iPhone 5 on, selected EQ10 app, dialed up Pete Belasco "Deeper" (serious bass test), and I'm sitting here BLOWN AWAY.  I'm used to good bass with my XB700's but this is so much cleaner and deeper.  Have the Beyer velour pads arriving tomorrow so should be all set.

Glad you guys turned us all on to this gem of a headphone.  I paid $126 and clearly worth more.  

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #18 of 139
Quote:
got my q40s today and stuffed them with beyer velour pads. not bad at all, but i still wonder, if the dt770pro would be a safer bet? q40 bass is a bit boomy and they sound a little wet right out of the box. find my denon d1100 more open sounding with tighter bass. so what about the beyers in comparison?

Amp them, equalize them and fall in love with them. Simple.  

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 139
Quote:
got my q40s today and stuffed them with beyer velour pads. not bad at all, but i still wonder, if the dt770pro would be a safer bet? q40 bass is a bit boomy and they sound a little wet right out of the box. find my denon d1100 more open sounding with tighter bass. so what about the beyers in comparison?

Amp them, equalize them and fall in love with them. Simple.  

I've found that removing (or not installing) the ear baffles that come with the pads helped clear up some of the woolyness sp? Also the leather better dynamic pads, to my ears, make them a bit less airy, boomy maybe, and more accurate. Velour feels better however, much better lol

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #21 of 139
Would you guys recommend these for DJing/mixing?

I wouldn't. The isolation isn't great and the ear cups don't swivel. These are strictly monitor type phones, so I don't think a DJ would be pleased with them. I do have experience with the Audio Technica M50s and I'd recommend them highly for DJs.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #22 of 139
Cool thanks for the input! Thing about the M50s is that I feel in a loud environment where you're boosting up the volume, the highs might be a bit fatiguing in that situation no? I have never DJed so this is just me imagining what it would be like to DJ with them.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 139
So im an extreme basshead looking for a good headset with amazing, deep bass. most of the people ive asked said these were the way to go but is there any other good contender for about 150$ thanks!

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 139
Quote:
So im an extreme basshead looking for a good headset with amazing, deep bass. most of the people ive asked said these were the way to go but is there any other good contender for about 150$ thanks!

Nuforce HP-800 as long as you don't listen at aburdly high volume levels. Both are great options. HP800 looks to be tiny bit bassier even just looking at frequency response graphs the HP800 looks to have about 10dB in bass (Beats Studio levels but obviously a lot better quality) and Q40 is more like 8dB.

I've got Q40 and concidering giving HP800 a try but it's gonna be hard to replace Q40 for me it feels like using ZO2.1. :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 139
Quote:

From my perspective, having started with XB500's, then moved to XB700's, and now listening to the M-Audio Q40 for a week, THESE are the headphone I've been waiting for and for the price of $126 it was a steal.   I put the Beyerdynamic velour pads on them and now the comfort matches the sound, which is simply amazing when you consider how I listen.

I have source (iPad or iPhone 5) running EQ10 or Equalizer apps with what I call a 'Smirky V' shape (slightly increased sub through low bass, with upper mids and highs emphasized) going into my Fiio E-11 (running no bass boost most of the time) feeding into the Digizoid ZO on RED contour, high gain mode, then into the Q-40's.  The volume is managed by the E-11 volume knob.

How I lived all these years without good headphones, amps and equalization is beyond me.  Now that I have seen the audiophile light, I will be on the never ending quest for better sound.  Figure what else do I have to spend money on...................? 
gs1000.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 139
I'm letting my Q40s go to a new home. Time to try something different. So if you've been on the fence and stalking this thread, follow the link 
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651076/m-audio-studiophile-q40-w-bonus

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 139
More midbass. The DT770 Pro/80 are some of the most subbass focused headphones around while the Q40 has about equal amount midbass like subbass, a lot of both.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #30 of 139
Quote:
Just bought a pair of these for $99 direct from M-Audio... can't wait to give them a go.

Wait? They sell them cheaper from M-Audio themselves than other etailers? lol Typically they go for like ~$120 online. Sounds like a no-brainer then. I think the original MSRP on these headphones were as high as $179, I've seen it been listed so at some sites so quite unusual to say the least that M-Audio themselves would be offering them for $99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back