m-audio help
May 25, 2005 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

oofie810

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, im a noob here and am very interested in hearing better sounds. I just purchased a grado sr-80 as my very first replacement headphones for my ipod. But with research, I got sucked into the idea of improving everything i hear (dvd player, ipod and ibook).

I want to buy a m-audio audiophile USB to use with my ibook so i can get a line-out to use with a pocket amp v2 that I am planning to order. Here are my questions:

1) can i use the rca input so i can also plug in my home dvd player and just use the headphone out of the audiophile? Can it be used as a standalone "amp"?

2) If I get a pocket amp, how can i connect it to the USB audiophile? thru the rca output or thru the headphone out of the audiophile?

3) Can i use the audiophile as my "temporary amp" and save up for a better dedicated amp like a portaphile or something like that?

Any help will be appreciated and I hope in the future I can also partake my knowledge.
eggosmile.gif

May 25, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

1) Yes, you can. You can plugin any CD/DVD players to the audiophile USB via RCA inputs, and listen to music via the headphone out.

2) Through the RCA output. Never connect anything thats not headphones on the headphone out.

3) Yes. The headphone out is made so you can plug in your headphones right away to listen to music. The Grados being easy to drive, they should sound great straight out the headphone out. However, being a decent amp later on would be a nice idea.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Hi,

The Grados being easy to drive, they should sound great straight out the headphone out. However, being a decent amp later on would be a nice idea.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the very informative and fast response, but please, pardon me for all these questions.

1) By "sound great", would that mean better than just using the headphone out of my laptop?

2)Ive also considered just using the m-audio transit and a pocket amp, which would you guys think will sound better, transit+pocket ampv2 or the USB audiophile alone? I just checked my finances and as much as I hate it, I think I can only spend up to around $160. With the audiophile being 155, I guess if i buy that, I have to use it alone.

May 25, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm not convinced the pocket amp will make things any better. Its good for portable use. Personally if I were you I'd use the line out of the computer and buy a nice amp instead of a soundcard. If you dont plan on building a hi-end system thats probably what will change the sound most.

May 25, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

I'm not convinced the pocket amp will make things any better. Its good for portable use. Personally if I were you I'd use the line out of the computer and buy a nice amp instead of a soundcard. If you dont plan on building a hi-end system thats probably what will change the sound most.

But my ibook doesnt have a line-out
confused.gif
but will it be ok if just connect the amp using the headphone out of my laptop? Im thinking of buying an external soundcard if it can drive my headphones better than the headphone out of my dvd player or my laptop, and then buying an amp afterwards.

May 25, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

line-out = headphone out. In that case I think you should buy the amp first, and an m-audio transit afterwards if you wish.

ok i guess ill just go the transit+portable amp way first and upgrade as my needs and finances grow, thanks a lot for replying!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back