M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Nov 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #106 of 181
One day young audio padawan :p

Yeah I can't imagine how bad it's gonna be when I'm married. I have so many expensive hobbies - racing, yes with cars, computers (although I will never spend more than $5000 on a gaming PC), and of course music. :)

I play guitar (I have a few), I collect vinyl (or try to), and all this together, my wife is gonna hate me unless I'm a millionaire.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #107 of 181
  Yeah I can't imagine how bad it's gonna be when I'm married. I have so many expensive hobbies - racing, yes with cars, computers (although I will never spend more than $5000 on a gaming PC), and of course music. :)

I play guitar (I have a few), I collect vinyl (or try to), and all this together, my wife is gonna hate me unless I'm a millionaire.

Don't get married. Lol. Be like Gene Simmons, or just be a bachelor. Who knows if we're designed to be 1on1 for life. Anywho, my goodness. Those are expensive. $5000 on a pc. Please tell me it's at least desktop. My max would be, idk. I don't like going over $1500. $2000 is probably my max. $500 is my max for everything else besides a vehicle.

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #108 of 181
Well first off, $5 grand was a large overstatement. This is my dream build (I don't have the link handy), and it only costs about $2600 compared to 5 grand.

Well I'm a Catholic so anything out of a 1on1 relationship, for life, is out of the question lol :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #109 of 181
I have the same hobbies as you. I have a gaming computer, does not need to be expensive unless you are doing 4K, have a 1998 Mustang Cobra that is supercharged, spent $1000+ on aftermarket parts, and spent upwards of $800+ on audio. Make sure your wife understands your hobbies before you tie the knot. I will get my dream home theater hifi system before I get married hopefully so she cannot say no to it. I am only 19. 

SoAmusing - I tried to get a quote from them over chat but they wanted me to call for an exact price. Wait for a flash sale, then call them and ask for $400, they might counter at $450 I would suppose. I will let you know when they have a flash sale, but you should get on their email list.

Falling more in love with my system everyday!  

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #110 of 181
  I have the same hobbies as you. I have a gaming computer, does not need to be expensive unless you are doing 4K, have a 1998 Mustang Cobra that is supercharged, spent $1000+ on aftermarket parts, and spent upwards of $800+ on audio. Make sure your wife understands your hobbies before you tie the knot. I will get my dream home theater hifi system before I get married hopefully so she cannot say no to it. I am only 19. 

U fkn wot m8? This is awesome! Only a few of my friends have the same hobbies as me, and they all like either Camaros or different types of music. My dream car is the 2012 Mustang GT with a lot more than $1000 of mods. :) I'm 16, so this is awesome!
Also, you made a few great points.

does not need to be expensive unless you are doing 4K

Totally true but this is my dream build, with all of the eyecandy.

Make sure your wife understands your hobbies before you tie the knot.

Could not agree more as a Catholic.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #111 of 181

SoAmusing - I tried to get a quote from them over chat but they wanted me to call for an exact price. Wait for a flash sale, then call them and ask for $400, they might counter at $450 I would suppose. I will let you know when they have a flash sale, but you should get on their email list.

I see. Well thank u very much. Still wondering how to connect to my StonerAcoustics UD120 DAC (which is unbalanced). I'm guessing I should use dual male 1/4 inch ts to 1/8 inch trs male cord such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-Breakout-10-Feet/dp/B005HGM1D6 ?

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #112 of 181
I love my monoprice XLR to RCA cables. Your DAC does not have RCA or XLR so if I were you I would run a 3.5mm to RCA adapter than run XLR to RCA than from the subwoofer use XLR to XLR. I highly recommend monoprice cables. My brother uses 3.5mm jacks for my previous M-Audio monitors using my XLR to RCA cables and that runs fine. This is what I gave my brother http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7224&seq=1&format=2 to use for 3.5mm. Then the cables are here http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2 & http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4751&seq=1&format=2. Ultimately you would want to get a balanced DAC but my RCA setup has no humming whatsoever. Clarity is awesome. I understand TRS route is a little cheaper but I think XLR look cooler and give better options for a DAC uprgade with XLR, plus I love the quality of these cables a lot. I will try and give you a heads up when ProAudioStars flash sale comes on.  

Here is what my sub connections look like. 2 are XLR to RCA and 2 are XLR to XLR. Love the look and quality. The TRS looking cable is the sub bypass so you can turn the sub off and run the monitors full range. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #113 of 181
  I love my monoprice XLR to RCA cables. Your DAC does not have RCA or XLR so if I were you I would run a 3.5mm to RCA adapter than run XLR to RCA than from the subwoofer use XLR to XLR. I highly recommend monoprice cables. My brother uses 3.5mm jacks for my previous M-Audio monitors using my XLR to RCA cables and that runs fine. This is what I gave my brother http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7224&seq=1&format=2 to use for 3.5mm. Then the cables are here http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2 & http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4751&seq=1&format=2. Ultimately you would want to get a balanced DAC but my RCA setup has no humming whatsoever. Clarity is awesome. I understand TRS route is a little cheaper but I think XLR look cooler and give better options for a DAC uprgade with XLR, plus I love the quality of these cables a lot. I will try and give you a heads up when ProAudioStars flash sale comes on.  

Bit complex, but I think I get it. What DAC's are there that offer balanced? Any under $200? I just like the ultra portability of my DAC.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #114 of 181
Balanced DAC's for $200 are few and far between apart from pro audio companies. Emotiva XDA-2 can be had for $200, but that is bulky. Balanced is really only necessary if you need long runs and have a lot of areas of interference like power cables. If you are going to place the sub further than 10ft to your DAC, I would probably get balanced . If your DAC will be close than RCA is just fine. For DAC's my Dad has a TEAC UDH01, I will test it again against my Xonar ST next week to see which sounds better as a pure DAC with no DSP's and crossovers. It is a nice DAC and headphone amp with all the connections you need. Me personally, I would get the DAC iT by Peachtree or the Musical Fidelity V90 used. Stereo systems are not portable so get something for a more permanent stay. I will upgrade my Xonar because PCI on motherboards are becoming scarce and I plan on upgrading my computer. Plus I want something external. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #115 of 181
  Balanced DAC's for $200 are few and far between apart from pro audio companies. Emotiva XDA-2 can be had for $200, but that is bulky. Balanced is really only necessary if you need long runs and have a lot of areas of interference like power cables. If you are going to place the sub further than 10ft to your DAC, I would probably get balanced . If your DAC will be close than RCA is just fine. For DAC's my Dad has a TEAC UDH01, I will test it again against my Xonar ST next week to see which sounds better as a pure DAC with no DSP's and crossovers. It is a nice DAC and headphone amp with all the connections you need. Me personally, I would get the DAC iT by Peachtree or the Musical Fidelity V90 used. Stereo systems are not portable so get something for a more permanent stay. I will upgrade my Xonar because PCI on motherboards are becoming scarce and I plan on upgrading my computer. Plus I want something external. 

Just saw your picture. Pretty sweet. I do have LOTS of power cables, but those are plugged into an uninterruptable power supply, specifically the APC BackUPS Pro 1500. Dunno if that makes a difference. I doubt the sub will be further than that ever.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #116 of 181
I have a lot of power cables too. It all about routing the audio cables as far as possible from them. It is not about the power cables being plugged in a UPS or a power conditioner or power strip, power cables will radiate some interference, the monoprice cables are shielded nicely so you should not have interference unless you really try hard to get some. I did have interference with their subwoofer cable but have not had issues with their XLR or XLR to RCA. The sub should be placed in a matter like I have it so the sub should be close to your DAC. 3-6ft is all you will need and that is short so RCA will be fine.

If you look at my photo of my setup, look at how the cables are managed. I shoved all the power cables to the right and left all the audio to the left. Try to get the shortest cables possible.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #117 of 181
  I have a lot of power cables too. It all about routing the audio cables as far as possible from them. It is not about the power cables being plugged in a UPS or a power conditioner or power strip, power cables will radiate some interference, the monoprice cables are shielded nicely so you should not have interference unless you really try hard to get some. I did have interference with their subwoofer cable but have not had issues with their XLR or XLR to RCA. The sub should be placed in a matter like I have it so the sub should be close to your DAC. 3-6ft is all you will need and that is short so RCA will be fine. 

I see. Well thank you. I have a receiver too btw, dunno if that comes into play at all. EDIT: And hey, my headphone amp, that's unbalanced too as it uses RCA, so nevermind with that, lol.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #118 of 181

Well, XLR cables are quite a bit more expensive for me to do, plus a waste kinda since I'm not doing balanced. My headphone amp, which is amazing, has RCA in's and out's even. So how can I use TS/TRS with the subwoofer/speakers/dac setup?

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #119 of 181
Balanced is really only necessary if you need long runs and have a lot of areas of interference like power cables. If you are going to place the sub further than 10ft to your DAC, I would probably get balanced .

How did you come up with 10 ft as the magic number?

Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work to convert an unbalanced output to XLR--I don't think you get the balanced connection benefit any more. If it helped you, something else was going on.

Buy a good subwoofer cable if you are worried about interference. Get one from Blue Jean Cable.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #120 of 181
Well, XLR cables are quite a bit more expensive for me to do, plus a waste kinda since I'm not doing balanced. My headphone amp, which is amazing, has RCA in's and out's even. So how can I use TS/TRS with the subwoofer/speakers/dac setup?

Won't do you any good. And if cost is an issue, go with Monoprice or Tartan Cable on Amazon (Tartan is Blue Jean Cables budget line). You can also order some nicer cables than Monoprice or Tartan from Ghent Audio, factory direct from China: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a02.html. Very nice cables for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back