M^3 Amp
Dec 19, 2008 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

michaelcooper5

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys. For a beginner audiophile would the M^3 amp be a good start? I have the option to purchase one for around 350US. I have purchased the Senn HD595s to go along with my computer setup with Auzen x fi prelude sound card .. Would it be possible for a novice to build one of these? I hope Im asking resonable questions and thx for your help!

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 11
The M³ is a very capable amp, definitely a good start.

Novice building a M³.. well, I've seen it done, but I would advise something less expensive to start with and get some practice (I myself started with the Mini³). If you find your up to the challenge by all means, build it, many helpful people in the DIY community/forums, you'll have help!

If anything the Mini³ is even more challenging (soldering skills wise), but the M³ will require you to do case work (hardest part if you ask me), none on the mini3 (with AMB's panels), wiring and possibly work with deadly voltages, etc. so, be careful.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 11
The M³ is a very good amp.

As for a novice build, I'd recommend going over to AMBs site and read everything on the M³, and then go to the headwise M³ threads, and read everything in those. If you think you're up to it after that - go fo gold.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 11
The M^3 is not just for beginners, it's a capable amp with great sound. You could get a lot of mileage from one. Is the $350 one already built? If so, that's not a bad deal.

Building one can be tricky if you've never built one before. The M^3 needs a separate power supply. The CK2III is easier in that respect and is also a very good sounding amp. But get into DIY if it interests you - the rewards are huge and you can make amazing stuff.

As for the soundcard, I don't use them because of noise issues. I've gone with an external DAC (you can build one of those, too), CD player and turntable. If you have CDs around, I think that budget audiophile CD players have the best bang for the buck. Vinyl costs more at first; decent turntables and associated goodies cost more than a good CD player. There's also a learning curve for setup and use. But once you get past that, you can get a whole box of records for $10 at a junk store or garage sale. It's cheapest in the long run and offers great sonics.

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 11
There is one for sale right now on the forums built by mister x for $250. Great deal. I would be jealously guarding it and hoping that no one else saw it till I could gather the funds, but I just bought another amp and it is Christmas.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one for sale right now on the forums built by mister x for $250. Great deal. I would be jealously guarding it and hoping that no one else saw it till I could gather the funds, but I just bought another amp and it is Christmas.

LOL! I was eyeing down the amp to just waiting on the answer to a couple questions before I make my decision

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! I was eyeing down the amp to just waiting on the answer to a couple questions before I make my decision

You should act sooner before too late
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 11
I think so as well or it could possibly some sort of jumper type of thing the seller contacted mister X about it and pending his response will make my decision.....there is always the meier cantate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back