LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Dec 3, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,696 of 1,793
Yes, I am aware of your mod (especially for the A6). Although, I am pretty sure you used some DIY materials you made yourself, rather than the ones you can just buy and use at once.

These:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002711483821.html
I have used those from that link. I told the seller to make a 50/50 of low and high density since he mentioned their difference and he agreed. Quite nice not to be worrying about foam size and proportion with that. It really adds new ways to tweak and play with filters.
Currently I'm putting 3 pieces of low density on LZ A7 Black and 1 high and 1 low on LZ A6 Black.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,697 of 1,793
About the foams, I have been trying those foam filters with my LZ A7 and LZ A6. The first thing that I did after trying many days with my LZ A7 was to peel off the small filter inside the black nozzle and put foam. There is a difference in density between those two; the black one is way denser than the white one. I feel that the foam/sponge material works way better as a filter for high-mid and treble peaks than other materials.
Quote:
Here is the comment that I have made months ago.

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,698 of 1,793
Currently I'm putting 3 pieces of low density on LZ A7 Black
Did you also remove the original filter or only put the foams?

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #1,699 of 1,793
Did you also remove the original filter or only put the foams?
At the start I only removed the cloth piece from the back, recently I also removed the metal filter on the top, trying to mimick what Sony does with their foam filters on their high end IEMs. I actually really like the result with both filters peeled and adding foam afterwards by yourself.

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #1,700 of 1,793
At the start I only removed the cloth piece from the back, recently I also removed the metal filter on the top, trying to mimick what Sony does with their foam filters on their high end IEMs. I actually really like the result with both filters peeled and adding foam afterwards by yourself.
I guess I will try on blue nozzle first with low density foam as this is what I have now.

Thanks

Dec 4, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,701 of 1,793
I have used those from that link. I told the seller to make a 50/50 of low and high density since he mentioned their difference and he agreed. Quite nice not to be worrying about foam size and proportion with that. It really adds new ways to tweak and play with filters.
Interesting, do you mean that he can make a custom order where half of the foam piece is low/high density, making it a hybrid density foam?

Currently I'm putting 3 pieces of low density on LZ A7 Black and 1 high and 1 low on LZ A6 Black.
You stacking them? And I was a bit worried about removing the cloth mesh since that blocks the foam from falling into the iem itself and because the cloth mesh is probably a dampener, so removing that one should have an effect on the sound.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,702 of 1,793
Interesting, do you mean that he can make a custom order where half of the foam piece is low/high density, making it a hybrid density foam?

You stacking them? And I was a bit worried about removing the cloth mesh since that blocks the foam from falling into the iem itself and because the cloth mesh is probably a dampener, so removing that one should have an effect on the sound.
I only asked the seller to sell me half high density half low density since he mentioned the difference, nothing about hybrid densities. At that time the description was only "black" and "white", nothing about density.
Actually, the piece of cloth is the one that affects the most to the tonality, that was the first one I removed to put foam. Later on I also removed the metalic one to mimick Sony's approach.
Yeah, I have been stacking them trying with different combinations and ended up with that. The foam don't fall into the IEM, they are so light that they get stuck on the walls of the nozzle, so you will actually need a needle to grab them out.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,703 of 1,793
Dec 4, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,704 of 1,793
The mod of the blue nozzle with three pieces of the foam reduces the treble harsh which is expected. On some songs it still sounds too harsh for my ears, perhaps I should try with high density form.
I place back the metal gril to cover the foams by the way.

Comparing to DQ6 which is also modded with 3 pieces of low density foams, they sounds quite different to me, LZ A7 is more V profile while DQ vocal too forward.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,705 of 1,793
The mod of the blue nozzle with three pieces of the foam reduces the treble harsh which is expected. On some songs it still sounds too harsh for my ears, perhaps I should try with high density form.
I place back the metal gril to cover the foams by the way.

Comparing to DQ6 which is also modded with 3 pieces of low density foams, they sounds quite different to me, LZ A7 is more V profile while DQ vocal too forward.
I only use 1 piece, the high density foams on both of them though. Feels quite risky to insert that many foam in them. (especially the DQ6, since that one is going right into the body.)

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,706 of 1,793
Feels quite risky to insert that many foam in them
I am aware and still taking the risk as one or two low density foams still not enough to tame the high freq LOL.

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,707 of 1,793
I am aware and still taking the risk as one or two low density foams still not enough to tame the high freq LOL.
Yeah, low density dont have much effect, at least when i just tried one. Have you tried only 1 high density piece?

Dec 4, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,709 of 1,793
Dec 4, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,710 of 1,793
I do not have the high density foam yet
They are a lot better IMO.

graph - 2021-12-04T172058.445.png

Low density dont do much, at least when you have 1 piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back