LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #976 of 1,793
If somebody here knows how to create polls, it would be fun to have a vote for favorite tunings.

As noted before, I think Red-Pop seems to be the general favorite in this thread so far. Quite a few fans of Gold; and a few for silver.

Of course I am saving my personal favorite at the moment for last; black monitor. I think a few others early on liked that but lately not many have chimed in for that. Its probably the "mellowest" tuning; or "standard" as LZ seems to call it.

I do suggest we keep on talking about our tunings since there are so many potentially useful but different ways to go about it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #977 of 1,793
If somebody here knows how to create polls, it would be fun to have a vote for favorite tunings.

As noted before, I think Red-Pop seems to be the general favorite in this thread so far. Quite a few fans of Gold; and a few for silver.

Of course I am saving my personal favorite at the moment for last; black monitor. I think a few others early on liked that but lately not many have chimed in for that. Its probably the "mellowest" tuning; or "standard" as LZ seems to call it.

I do suggest we keep on talking about our tunings since there are so many potentially useful but different ways to go about it.
Ask and ye shall receive.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a7-poll.947893/

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #978 of 1,793
Remarkably, the LZ A7 are going to be very hard to beat knowing that when you purchase the A7 it's like actually purchasing 10 different IEM's all mashed into one! ...And then some, with LZ or other after market tuning filters to combine with!

They have my personal highest praises for 2020 best IEM of the year!

-Clear :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #979 of 1,793
BBB1E40F-8F1E-434F-9BA0-AE83D93775D5.jpeg
E0AF59AC-6BE5-4065-9EC5-624C9A5239D7.jpeg

4D399692-2607-425F-A450-7CF06EBEE861.jpeg

BEC89737-A52A-4F47-AD1B-53A2892BF18D.jpeg

@IEMusic forget using the Tanchjim filter on the D02 and stick it onto the A7’s silver filter. A7 literally transforms into a mini Z1R with better pinna gain!

edit: I have been modding IEMs since 2009 and A7 is by far, the best platform ever due to amazing resolution across the entire frequency range.

edit 2: liking this more than red-pop

edit 3: just sent Penon Audio an email asking them to source this Tanchjim filters.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #980 of 1,793
Very helpful comments @HardstyleLoco96, thank you. 2 questions:
1. What upgrade cable are you using that tames ttreble on silver?
2. POP or monitor setting?
I am using cable 171 on Hakuzen list here on head fi. The cable is also known as Cema Electro Acousti CS Series UP-OCC Copper Litz cable. I have the 8 core version.

I use the A7 on monitor mode with the silver filters.

Screenshot_20201123-213630_AliExpress.jpg

My cable looks very similar to the cable in the picture. The Y split is similar but my connector has wood instead of carbon fibre.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #981 of 1,793
For now I'm settled on 2 combos: monitor/red and pop/gold.
Quoting myself on my initial impression: my preference shifted from pop/gold to pop/black. monitor/red still remained. Maybe it's the source I'm using (my phone) so probably they'll change once I get a proper DAP.

I'm liking the A7 quite a bit that I'm thinking of getting a custom molded tip from ADV. Any thoughts on it?
https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/custom-fit/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips
Or if there's a kind soul willing to sell me only one pair of those eliptical Fidelity U tips :)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #982 of 1,793
...stick it onto the A7’s silver filter. A7 literally transforms into a mini Z1R with better pinna gain!

edit: I have been modding IEMs since 2009 and A7 is by far, the best platform ever due to amazing resolution across the entire frequency range.

edit 3: just sent Penon Audio an email asking them to source this Tanchjim filters.
Has anyone tried using any of the Moondrop filters for other IEMs, to help tune/modify the upper midrange frequencies? I wonder if they would work similar to the Tanchjim filters?

Right now, even with all of the outstanding competition out there, the LZ A7 gets my vote for IEM Of The Year, even regardless of price! Now, this statement in no way diminishes how good so many of the other IEMs are. It’s just that none can match the combination of tonality, technicalities, AND versatility of the A7.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #983 of 1,793
I’ll need to try a silver cable with the A7.
I am using a Tripowin Nucool cable that came with the Linsoul bundle, and it makes a big difference from the stock cable, I am using it with the black filter and monitor mode, I am impressed with the sound of the A7.

I haven´t tried the other filters, hope to do it during the week

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #984 of 1,793
Any comparisons between the A7 and the Dunu SA6?
I have both and the SA6 will be returned. They are beautifully crafted but with the very short nozzle, I am unable to get a secure fit. The thickness of the cable also compromises maintaining a seal regardless of tip choice. Soundstage and transparency are superior with the A7 IMO, and I find the overall SQ of the A7 to better suit my personal preferences.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #985 of 1,793
I am using a Tripowin Nucool cable that came with the Linsoul bundle, and it makes a big difference from the stock cable, I am using it with the black filter and monitor mode, I am impressed with the sound of the A7.

I haven´t tried the other filters, hope to do it during the week
I’ve been using that cable also. It’s very well made and is beautiful.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #986 of 1,793
...forget using the Tanchjim filter on the D02 and stick it onto the A7’s silver filter. A7 literally transforms into a mini Z1R with better pinna gain!

I like the Silver filters in stock form for their extreme clarity and airiness, but I didn’t like the tonality of the Blue Monitor tuning (boxy, hollow sounding), so I put the Tanchjim filters on the Blue filter, and now in the Monitor setting it is a wonderful U-shaped tuning, with clear, extended, airy treble that’s not splashy. I definitely like it better than Red Monitor, but I think I still like Red Pop more than the modified Blue Pop, because in Pop mode, the Blue treble is to sharp for me.

I just emailed Penon also.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #987 of 1,793
I just received my A7s. One week and 4 days to arrive in France from Aliex!

A quick return just out of the box. I switch to yellow filter and set to monitor.

Ok, they explode the KZ EDX received 3 days before, honor is safe. :upside_down:
The sound is more detailed, less bloated, the stage is more airy.

Comparison with ISN H40. These are set like this:
-2 -3 - 4 -3 0 -1 0 0 -3 0
32hz. 64. 120 260 560 1K 2k 4k 8k 16k

Which removes the slight muddy side and give a eary touch.

Well... the A7s are literally pulverized by the H40s! :scream:
The scene and the details play out in the same course. But on the low side, the A7 is anemic, there is not much going on. The bass is nice and textured but doesn't have body.
And yet, the H40 have bass tamed !

So, this is a quick listen out of the box, after my works day.

The A7s are in the burnin process, let see tomorow how this evolved :wink:

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #988 of 1,793

A quick return just out of the box. I switch to yellow filter and set to monitor.

Ok, they explode the KZ EDX received 3 days before, honor is safe. :upside_down:

The scene and the details play out in the same course. But on the low side, the A7 is anemic, there is not much going on. The bass is nice and textured but doesn't have body.

The A7s are capable of nice bass, probably most bassy setting is Red Pop. Gold monitor is definitely not designed for big bass response, and the A7 is not a basshead IEM in any case.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #989 of 1,793

The A7 is a lot of things, but NOT anemic with the bass...

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #990 of 1,793
The A7 is a lot of things, but NOT anemic with the bass...
The A7 has plenty of bass. I have the Smabat Blackbat which is an insane basshead IEM. The last thing I would want from my A7 is to be like that. The A7 has a really good quality bass and not lacking in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back