LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #991 of 1,793
I think the A7’s bass is perhaps a little dry, but that helps it be very fast and detailed. It still is definitely DD-sounding bass though, and there’s plenty of it.

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #992 of 1,793
Guys i'm reporting what i hear. :pray:

Placed side by side the H40 is like a subwoofer who hits hard compared to the A7.
I didn't say the A7 doesn't have bass, but the transition between the two is surprising!

Let the burning free the DD, the H40 already has a lot of music played for him. :L3000:

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #993 of 1,793
I realized my regular ear tips size ( M ) doesn't have a good seal for A7. Returning to stock tips using L size , the silicon turbo ( Yellow tube ) stock tips
I just received my A7s. One week and 4 days to arrive in France from Aliex!

A quick return just out of the box. I switch to yellow filter and set to monitor.

Ok, they explode the KZ EDX received 3 days before, honor is safe. :upside_down:
The sound is more detailed, less bloated, the stage is more airy.

Comparison with ISN H40. These are set like this:
-2 -3 - 4 -3 0 -1 0 0 -3 0
32hz. 64. 120 260 560 1K 2k 4k 8k 16k

Which removes the slight muddy side and give a eary touch.

Well... the A7s are literally pulverized by the H40s! :scream:
The scene and the details play out in the same course. But on the low side, the A7 is anemic, there is not much going on. The bass is nice and textured but doesn't have body.
And yet, the H40 have bass tamed !

So, this is a quick listen out of the box, after my works day.

The A7s are in the burnin process, let see tomorow how this evolved :wink:
Burn baby burn, burn that DD's anemic away😄

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #994 of 1,793
Guys i'm reporting what i hear. :pray:

Placed side by side the H40 is like a subwoofer who hits hard compared to the A7.
I didn't say the A7 doesn't have bass, but the transition between the two is surprising!

Let the burning free the DD, the H40 already has a lot of music played for him. :L3000:
Sorry if it felt like we were somehow attacking you/your opinions :grimacing:. It’s just that you’re probably the first person to mention a relative lack of bass with the A7, so automatically we think something must be wrong....we’re not questioning what you‘re hearing. I agree with giving it time to break in the DD, and you may need to try a variety of ear tips.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #995 of 1,793
While the overall body size of the A7 is fairly small, I did find it rather challenging to find the "perfect" tip that yielded both a comfortable fit plus a suitable seal which is obviously very important to realize the optimum performance of which the A7 is capable. None of the included tips worked for me but I ultimately settled on the Azla Elastecs (L).

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #997 of 1,793
Burn baby burn, burn that DD's anemic away😄

In other way, that remember me when I first listened to H40 : " what the ....!? What is this weird junky subwoofer that I bought 200 bucks ?! " :astonished:

12 hours later the rest of frequencies rise from ther hole and I was relieved of my purchase. :ok_hand:

it was for me the most evident case of the effect of burn in.
On some other IEM there is zero effect. It's not an absolute rule.

so let's see !

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #998 of 1,793
I think the A7’s bass is perhaps a little dry, but that helps it be very fast and detailed. It still is definitely DD-sounding bass though, and there’s plenty of it.

I also got the LZ A7 recently and that sounds spot on. For me, there's something about the bass that is not quite hitting the spot even in Red-Pop (even though it's very detailed, high quality, with good texture and rumble). Dry is good way of putting it - the bass doesn't sound quite dynamic/emotional enough for me.

From my listening so far, LZ A7 is a very high quality IEM with very good technicalities. It is very detailed and revealing and the most technically able out of the IEMs I've heard so far. With gold monitor setting, it sounds pretty close to neutral to me.

Unfortunately, I realize that I am still quite sensitive to treble, and prefer a warmer signature with more dynamic bass, more forward/emotional vocals, with downward sloping treble (starting from 3 kHZ) with no peaks. Red-pop does sound warmer, but still has a higher treble to mid ratio than my personal preference.

I actually also picked up the Fiio FH3, which is fantastic for the price (just like the NM2+). I think I prefer the stock tuning of FH3 more than LZ A7's red pop/red monitor/or gold monitor, since it has more forward vocals. It sounds more exciting to me than red pop/red monitor, though it doesn't sound as refined.

I really like the form factor of the LZ A7 and the fact that it has quite good isolation for a hybrid. I think my main gripe with it is that the filter head diameters are just slightly too large to be comfortable for wearing long term with foam tips (my preferred tips for better isolation). Being larger in diameter and decent in length, I find it exerting more pressure on the walls of my ear canal.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #999 of 1,793
QUOTE="jkjk123
I also got the LZ A7 recently and that sounds spot on. For me, there's something about the bass that is not quite hitting the spot even in Red-Pop (even though it's very detailed, high quality, with good texture and rumble). Dry is good way of putting it - the bass doesn't sound quite dynamic/emotional enough for me.

From my listening so far, LZ A7 is a very high quality IEM with very good technicalities. It is very detailed and revealing and the most technically able out of the IEMs I've heard so far. With gold monitor setting, it sounds pretty close to neutral to me.

Unfortunately, I realize that I am still quite sensitive to treble, and prefer a warmer signature with more dynamic bass, more forward/emotional vocals, with downward sloping treble (starting from 3 kHZ) with no peaks. Red-pop does sound warmer, but still has a higher treble to mid ratio than my personal preference.
It seems like you really need to get the Penon Orb. Most descriptions of it fit your criteria exactly.

I actually also picked up the Fiio FH3, which is fantastic for the price (just like the NM2+). I think I prefer the stock tuning of FH3 more than LZ A7's red pop/red monitor/or gold monitor, since it has more forward vocals. It sounds more exciting to me than red pop/red monitor, though it doesn't sound as refined.
The vocals definitely are more forward on the FH3, and it is a very enjoyable IEM to listen to.

I really like the form factor of the LZ A7 and the fact that it has quite good isolation for a hybrid. I think my main gripe with it is that the filter head diameters are just slightly too large to be comfortable for wearing long term with foam tips (my preferred tips for better isolation). Being larger in diameter and decent in length, I find it exerting more pressure on the walls of my ear canal.
The nozzles are really large.

All valid points.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #1,000 of 1,793
To me, these three IEMs are a great cross-spectrum. All are very capable and great values, the FH3 being the most fun and the NM2+ the most refined and the A7 filling in the space between, tending more towards one or the other based on filter and switch tuning.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #1,001 of 1,793
2086D174-7DAA-4D54-AE52-68E2BB7AB95B.jpeg
3D933FE2-197C-45D1-8459-F69BB7B9D85E.jpeg

Ok just got the SA6. It sounds quite dynamic and musical for all BA IEM. Bass also caught me off guard with quite nice impact and deep low end extension. Just briefly compared to the A7 (red-pop and black-monitor) and noticing SA6’s Mids are bit thicker and fuller sounding. Soundstage feels slightly narrower and intimate compared to the A7. Imaging and resolution seems comparable but separation seems bit better on the A7 due to darker background. Really impressive performance by the A7.

Overall however, SA6 exhibits bit more coherent, natural and more agreeable tuning for me, but not by much. When I do more a/bing with different filters and switch settings my sentiment might change even.

Timbre wise I would say both have some problems near treble region with slight BA/piezoelectric traits coming through. SA6 has bit of glossy sheen over lower treble and A7 has bit of sharpness effecting certain instrumental overtones at upper registry.

185D659A-E1BE-499F-AF42-94CF2858FD0A.jpeg

Tansio Mirai TSMR5 also came in today, but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,002 of 1,793
2086D174-7DAA-4D54-AE52-68E2BB7AB95B.jpeg

Ok just got the SA6. It sounds quite dynamic and musical for all BA IEM. Bass also caught me off guard with quite nice impact and deep low end extension. Just briefly compared to the A7 (red-pop and black-monitor) and noticing SA6’s Mids are bit thicker and fuller sounding. Soundstage feels slightly narrower and intimate compared to the A7. Imaging and resolution seems comparable but separation seems bit better on the A7 due to darker background. Really impressive performance by the A7.

Overall however, SA6 exhibits bit more coherent, natural and more agreeable tuning for me, but not by much. When I do more a/bing with different filters and switch settings my sentiment might change even.

Timbre wise I would say both have some problems near treble region with slight BA/piezoelectric traits coming through. SA6 has bit of glossy sheen over lower treble and A7 has bit of sharpness effecting certain instrumental overtones at upper registry.

Tansio Mirai TSMR5 also came in today, but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet.
I know it’s the luck of the draw, but those SA6 faceplates are gorgeous IMO.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #1,003 of 1,793
The nozzles are really large.
I agree. The nozzles are on the larger size. Probably around the 4.5mm mark. Haven't measured mine. Maybe I'm asking too much but it would be nice for LZ to release slightly smaller nozzles for us with narrower ear canals :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,004 of 1,793
The A7 has plenty of bass. I have the Smabat Blackbat which is an insane basshead IEM. The last thing I would want from my A7 is to be like that. The A7 has a really good quality bass and not lacking in any way.

The A7 doesn't have boosted Mid-Bass, but the Sub-Bass is certainly there... :ksc75smile:
Take a listen to this track, especially aftter ~0:56.
Nadia Birkenstock (Celtic Harp) & Steve Hubback (Percussion), performing "Blair Athole" (2013) -

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,005 of 1,793
The A7 doesn't have boosted Mid-Bass, but the Sub-Bass is certainly there... :ksc75smile:
Take a listen to this track, especially aftter ~0:56.
Nadia Birkenstock (Celtic Harp) & Steve Hubback (Percussion), performing "Blair Athole" (2013) -

Listening right now on Tidal, HiBy R5, Spiral Dots, Vol 34 high gain. Listened on Black Filter Pop, and then Monitor on. Lovely piece of music. The sub bass...for me is very apparent on the monitor setting rather than the pop setting. Very balanced enjoyable sound with just enough bass to complement the harp. Wow...can she play that harp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back