LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Mar 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #241 of 686
Maybe better to get the A6 instead of the mini, when you already have the spring 1. I at least cant use my mini anymore since getting the A6, they are soooooo gooooooood.
Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately I can't afford the A6.

I don't doubt they are very good, but > 3x price for the same structure I can't justify.

Am curious to play with the filters though.

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #242 of 686
Thanks for the answer.

I don't doubt they are very good, but > 3x price for the same structure I can't justify.

In that case the A6 mini is good (I dont have the spring 1 so cant compare with that) but you have to be aware that the lower mids (male vocals) are recessed on the mini. If you are fine with that it is quite the value.

Mar 21, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #243 of 686
I hadn't listened to my A6 Mini in a while, but I have really been enjoying it today. The gold nozzle filter from the Semkarch CNT-1 and Final Audio E tips are a great pairing on the A6 Mini.

Mar 21, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #244 of 686
Thanks for the answer.

I Have both A6 mini and Spring 1, they are great IEM but i can say they are side grade to each other, with their own pros and cons.
Bass is a definite win on A6 mini which utilizing same driver like the big A6, tight, fast, clean and smooth, very well presented with great tuning proportion between sub bass and mid bass. Best bass you can fin in this price range along with NX7 / Pro bass. Spring 1 biggest weakness is on their bass. They have speed, that surprised me as using 13mm DD, tight, fast decay but they more sub bass focused that made depth extension shadowed by hump on mid-upper bass, around that 80-100hz. If they tuned to be more sub bass focused, there could be a different story.

Mids is on difference presentation, the A6 mini with black filter, have a bit distanced vocals presentation that perceive depth on soundstage, create a virtual stage, while vocal on Spring 1 is intimate with much details, and more balance between lower and higher mids vocals. For mids i prefer the Spring 1 mids, they are detail and smooth, thinking of Spring 1 made me straight away remember how delicate their mids are. A6 mini with red filters are muffling / veiling the mids details, but they are become more balance between male and female vocals, but i can hear veiled mids if using red filters. A6 mini mids are crippled, as I can think thats why big A6 are having 4 more BAs covering mids. Meanwhile, the Spring 1 mids is very very great.

Highs. No matter what filter are you using on A6 mini, they wont filter the high portion much. To me, the filter is really affected high mids, especially 2-4khz range. The piezo on A6 mini handles highs nicely, details and smooth and airy, but in fact is a bit smoothen out that i can crave a little bit more energetic trebles, just a little bit. Treble is safe on A6. On other side, highs on Spring 1 is presented similarly smooth, but they have boosted on 8khz, so high that can made a smooth soft tizzyness, its not harsh or disturbing or fatiguing just they are there on 8khz, sounded not so natural but in the same time give you more sparkles there.

Timbre is a little bit better on A6mini, they more correct, spring 1 out of the box need grill mods to be sounded more natural

Soundstage is wideee on both, but the A6 mini sounded more natural, imaging also similar level. differences are subtle here

so to sum up, Spring 1 mids are really hard to beat on this price range, but A6mini have other pros, especially bass that outperform Spring 1. THey have their own cons, Spring 1 is great with their mids, but have weakness on bass. The A6mini is great on bass and soundstage, but their mids are imbalance between lower mids and high mids.
But don't let these downside bugging you, most of IEMs cant please us, they always have cons, especially on budget level. THere are only few IEMs that i fell dont have major flaws but sometimes they dont have "special ability" or strength section. With the more you going up on upper tier, the less you find weaknesses but you have price to pay of course, you pay hundred dollars for a little bit improvement and refinement. Its a diminishing return hobby at first place.

But on sale price like this, A6mini is a great snatch, but dont expect an upgrade to your Spring 1.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #245 of 686
What a brilliant reply. Thanks!

I Have both A6 mini and Spring 1, they are great IEM but i can say they are side grade to each other, with their own pros and cons.
Bass is a definite win on A6 mini which utilizing same driver like the big A6, tight, fast, clean and smooth, very well presented with great tuning proportion between sub bass and mid bass. Best bass you can fin in this price range along with NX7 / Pro bass. Spring 1 biggest weakness is on their bass. They have speed, that surprised me as using 13mm DD, tight, fast decay but they more sub bass focused that made depth extension shadowed by hump on mid-upper bass, around that 80-100hz. If they tuned to be more sub bass focused, there could be a different story.

Mids is on difference presentation, the A6 mini with black filter, have a bit distanced vocals presentation that perceive depth on soundstage, create a virtual stage, while vocal on Spring 1 is intimate with much details, and more balance between lower and higher mids vocals. For mids i prefer the Spring 1 mids, they are detail and smooth, thinking of Spring 1 made me straight away remember how delicate their mids are. A6 mini with red filters are muffling / veiling the mids details, but they are become more balance between male and female vocals, but i can hear veiled mids if using red filters. A6 mini mids are crippled, as I can think thats why big A6 are having 4 more BAs covering mids. Meanwhile, the Spring 1 mids is very very great.

Highs. No matter what filter are you using on A6 mini, they wont filter the high portion much. To me, the filter is really affected high mids, especially 2-4khz range. The piezo on A6 mini handles highs nicely, details and smooth and airy, but in fact is a bit smoothen out that i can crave a little bit more energetic trebles, just a little bit. Treble is safe on A6. On other side, highs on Spring 1 is presented similarly smooth, but they have boosted on 8khz, so high that can made a smooth soft tizzyness, its not harsh or disturbing or fatiguing just they are there on 8khz, sounded not so natural but in the same time give you more sparkles there.

Timbre is a little bit better on A6mini, they more correct, spring 1 out of the box need grill mods to be sounded more natural

Soundstage is wideee on both, but the A6 mini sounded more natural, imaging also similar level. differences are subtle here

so to sum up, Spring 1 mids are really hard to beat on this price range, but A6mini have other pros, especially bass that outperform Spring 1. THey have their own cons, Spring 1 is great with their mids, but have weakness on bass. The A6mini is great on bass and soundstage, but their mids are imbalance between lower mids and high mids.
But don't let these downside bugging you, most of IEMs cant please us, they always have cons, especially on budget level. THere are only few IEMs that i fell dont have major flaws but sometimes they dont have "special ability" or strength section. With the more you going up on upper tier, the less you find weaknesses but you have price to pay of course, you pay hundred dollars for a little bit improvement and refinement. Its a diminishing return hobby at first place.

But on sale price like this, A6mini is a great snatch, but dont expect an upgrade to your Spring 1.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #246 of 686
@DynamicEars great comparison there. Have you found any other iem that has similar bass to the A6? (NX7 Pro seems to be one)

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #247 of 686
@DynamicEars great comparison there. Have you found any other iem that has similar bass to the A6? (NX7 Pro seems to be one)

Ex1000 have great quality bass but quantity isnt boosted. But that is quality DD bass from giant 16mm driver. The A6 and NX7 have truly great bass, the A6 is smoother and more bouncy but that speed is great, while NX7 pro bass is similar agility but more sharper texture, both have quality basses. The H40 that have great tuning dont have this agility, their bass is good in control but tightness and speed is a little bit below A6 and NX7 bass. I3 bass actually quite good but mid bass have a little bit hump. I cant think other iem that have this bass agility and texture with almost perfect tightness like this especially in this price range.
Usually this kind of speed coming from smaller DD with good coating, but the 10mm DD in A6 and NX7 pro have that speed while on the same time have deep extension to lowel end with great tuning, and great texture. I heard people also praise the shuoer tape bass but I dont have them so i cant comment. Oh and the ikko OH10 also have great bass but I only listen in short period couple months back, so I cant compare directly with A6 and NX7 pro bass, but based on memory they are more or less in similar level of quality

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #248 of 686
Ex1000 have great quality bass but quantity isnt boosted. But that is quality DD bass from giant 16mm driver. The A6 and NX7 have truly great bass, the A6 is smoother and more bouncy but that speed is great, while NX7 pro bass is similar agility but more sharper texture, both have quality basses. The H40 that have great tuning dont have this agility, their bass is good in control but tightness and speed is a little bit below A6 and NX7 bass. I3 bass actually quite good but mid bass have a little bit hump. I cant think other iem that have this bass agility and texture with almost perfect tightness like this especially in this price range.
Usually this kind of speed coming from smaller DD with good coating, but the 10mm DD in A6 and NX7 pro have that speed while on the same time have deep extension to lowel end with great tuning, and great texture. I heard people also praise the shuoer tape bass but I dont have them so i cant comment. Oh and the ikko OH10 also have great bass but I only listen in short period couple months back, so I cant compare directly with A6 and NX7 pro bass, but based on memory they are more or less in similar level of quality
Thanks bro, yeah the tape is actually faster and tighter but it doesn't have the same texture so in the end it is a bit behind the a6. The speed is almost unnaturally fast in the tape.

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #250 of 686
I just got my a6 minis and while generally i like them, when i listen to power metal the treble of some cymbals kind of mashes together, and the s sound sibilance of the singers. Think the cotton filter mod might help?
Is this evident with all three of the filters?

Mar 25, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #252 of 686
The other 2 filters present me with other problems..the red is too muddy and the blue is too sharp. Maybe nad hp50 has ruined listening to power metal with other headphones for me
Ok.

Just out of interest, from which AliExpress store did you order them and how long was the shipping? Thanks.

Planning to order mine when the sale starts in a couple of days. I don't listen to metal so I'm hoping your particular issues are particular to that genre of music.

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #253 of 686
1585134586401.png

I changed the cotton in the black filter for foam, which is easier to measure and make it even in both sides. It really does smooth the treble and the sibilance; without this little mod I wouldn't be able to enjoy my A6 (I think it would be the same for the mini) because its highs are just too piercing. On top of the foam inside the filter, I also added foam inside the Azla Sedna Earfit and now i have a bright but not sibilant great IEM, which i prefer over my T800 in terms of soundstage, clarity and details.

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #254 of 686
@Luis1316 Have you tried other filters? Like the Pink filter? I find the Pink filter the best and not sibilant (the others are either borderline-sibilant to very sibilant)

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #255 of 686
@Luis1316 Have you tried other filters? Like the Pink filter? I find the Pink filter the best and not sibilant (the others are either borderline-sibilant to very sibilant)
Of course, I have spent so many hours around the filters after getting them. I'm really into details and soundstage. At the start, I was trying to decide between the red and pink filter, but soon enough i noticed that the IEM could get better results (in terms of my likings, mainly focused on mids and high details).
On top of that, there was still a really nasty "Shh" sibilance on the highs that i had to solve, even on the pink and red filters; that caused tons of fatigue that i couldn't bear with it after 15 minutes. I didn't like to EQ my IEMs, so I decided to try to control that in a physical way, and I ended up trying cotton inside filters as some people suggested here on the red an pink. I was actually surprised that only that nasty treble peak was cut out, maintaining other frecuencies unchanged (maybe a little bit of bass boost, but not an exageration).
Later that, I realized that without that treble peak I could try with other filters, since the red and pink muddied a bit the high end. It was pretty funny, because after changing so many times, i noticed that what i wanted was actually the default black filter (the blue and gold added too much treble) with a neutral profile and not losing that airiness on the treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back