LZ A5
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #436 of 1,177
Your reply gives me peace of mind in having cancelled my iBasso IT03 order in favor of the LZ-A5 due to a fear of thinned out mids. They will be here on Wednesday and I'll post my impressions here compared to LZ-A4 and others in my signature.

I was looking for a bass cannon with crystal highs and have found that in the BGVP DM5. These LZ-A5's will be my "all-rounder" and daily-driver.

Cheers to all.
It is a good upgrade especially when you are coming from the DM5. Enjoy your new iem! :beyersmile:

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #437 of 1,177
Your reply gives me peace of mind in having cancelled my iBasso IT03 order in favor of the LZ-A5 due to a fear of thinned out mids. They will be here on Wednesday and I'll post my impressions here compared to LZ-A4 and others in my signature.

I was looking for a bass cannon with crystal highs and have found that in the BGVP DM5. These LZ-A5's will be my "all-rounder" and daily-driver.

Cheers to all.
Nice 1. Am keen to get more comparisons to the A4. I am using A4 exclusively at the moment, and really appreciate it's airiness and space. Hoping to match it or better it with the A5's and get better fit/comfort.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #438 of 1,177
Nice 1. Am keen to get more comparisons to the A4. I am using A4 exclusively at the moment, and really appreciate it's airiness and space. Hoping to match it or better it with the A5's and get better fit/comfort.
Without any shadow of doubt the A5 has better fit/comfort.
Sound is as ever subjective, but to me it is quite a step up from the A4

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #439 of 1,177
Without any shadow of doubt the A5 has better fit/comfort.
Sound is as ever subjective, but to me it is quite a step up from the A4

May I ask in what way? Clarity in all frequencies? Sense of space, layering, etc?

Thanks in advance!

PS... Im really quite sold on getting some, but whilst saving the pennies, its great to hear another's thoughts on them :)

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #440 of 1,177
May I ask in what way? Clarity in all frequencies? Sense of space, layering, etc?

Thanks in advance!

PS... Im really quite sold on getting some, but whilst saving the pennies, its great to hear another's thoughts on them :)
I'm no audiophile but anyway here are my opinion.

The lows are quite strong but they dont intrude into the mids, the highs to me are excellent very detailed without any sibilance.
To me the mids are to die for.
I read a lot of reviews where v or u shaped signatures are referenced, to me it seems that the A5 does not fall into these categories.
If anything it seems to be that lows, mids and highs are slightly boosted but in a good way.
Of course theres no way that they could br called balanced in an audiophile sense.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #441 of 1,177
I'm no audiophile but anyway here are my opinion.

The lows are quite strong but they dont intrude into the mids, the highs to me are excellent very detailed without any sibilance.
To me the mids are to die for.
I read a lot of reviews where v or u shaped signatures are referenced, to me it seems that the A5 does not fall into these categories.
If anything it seems to be that lows, mids and highs are slightly boosted but in a good way.
Of course theres no way that they could br called balanced in an audiophile sense.
So they would be slightly W shaped?

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #442 of 1,177
So my A5's arrived today and I'm happy with them.

I've only tried the black filter with the included blue foam tips. Will need to try different tips to see how that changes the isolation and sound.

There is noise transfer from the included cable but it's not terrible. The memory ear guides can also be a little annoying (or at least take a little getting used to).

Having said all that. This is a set of earphones that produce good sound (to my ears), has a customisable cable and can accept different tips. Has different filters to change the sound to suit and once on, are really comfortable. Once they are in, I almost forget they are there (except for the cable noise when it crops up).

Overall, for £205 headphones in the UK, they are a really impressive piece of kit.

Will be interesting to see how they improve with filters, cables, tips and general burn in!!

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #443 of 1,177

I have been using the A4 as my daily driver and main iem since launch but that has changed since the A5 arrived. I have replaced the A4, not because A5 is newer shinier etc, but I feel the A5 greatly improve upon the A4 in some key areas.

The greatest improvement, imo, is in terms of ergonomics and comfort. The A5s just positively disappear after putting them on. Funny enough I have been using the A5 with the a4 cable because it lacks the flexible earhook and is softer, producing less noise. The a4 cable helps the A5 sit easier in the concha as well.

Second - the sound; The A5 has a meatier midrange as compared to the A4, which I feel is thinner in comparison. The A5 produces a denser and thicker sound with more detail and bass. They have improved the detail and resolution, while also making the sound more "musical." The end result is an iem which is enjoyable to use all day for any application. Heck I have already done some guitar monitoring with the A5 and I am happy with the timbre and how realistic instruments sound.

The A5 has that magic sauce that made the A2 legendary. YMMV but I feel that LZ has done a great job in all departments, not just sound.

BUT I still dislike teh stock cable and lack of accessories.

Edit: @SteveKiwi Ignore my last tag - had a brain fart, meant to address someone else lol

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #444 of 1,177
I have been using the A4 as my daily driver and main iem since launch but that has changed since the A5 arrived. I have replaced the A4, not because A5 is newer shinier etc, but I feel the A5 greatly improve upon the A4 in some key areas.

The greatest improvement, imo, is in terms of ergonomics and comfort. The A5s just positively disappear after putting them on. Funny enough I have been using the A5 with the a4 cable because it lacks the flexible earhook and is softer, producing less noise. The a4 cable helps the A5 sit easier in the concha as well.

Second - the sound; The A5 has a meatier midrange as compared to the A4, which I feel is thinner in comparison. The A5 produces a denser and thicker sound with more detail and bass. They have improved the detail and resolution, while also making the sound more "musical." The end result is an iem which is enjoyable to use all day for any application. Heck I have already done some guitar monitoring with the A5 and I am happy with the timbre and how realistic instruments sound.

The A5 has that magic sauce that made the A2 legendary. YMMV but I feel that LZ has done a great job in all departments, not just sound.

Edit: @SteveKiwi Ignore my last tag - had a brain fart, meant to address someone else lol

Thanks for that mini sound review :) - Really looking forward to getting a pair soon!

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #445 of 1,177

No problem

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #446 of 1,177
Hello Guys! I am a big fan of lz earphones after listening lz a4. Now i am going to buy LZ a5 because LZ made a good fit (as i see on the pictures and from the reviews).
Please, could someone compare lz a5 and musicMaker tk12, Shockwave 3. It is very interesting for me. And one more question - what player do you prefer for LZ A5 and why?

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #447 of 1,177
Hello Guys! I am a big fan of lz earphones after listening lz a4. Now i am going to buy LZ a5 because LZ made a good fit (as i see on the pictures and from the reviews).
Please, could someone compare lz a5 and musicMaker tk12, Shockwave 3. It is very interesting for me. And one more question - what player do you prefer for LZ A5 and why?

I returned SWIII due to extreme sibilance issues. Horrible experience.

LZ A5 is beyond amazing, especially considering its price. It beats my IE800 in many ways. Also it is overall better than said IEM. You definitely can't go wrong with A5.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #450 of 1,177
Just to verify, I presume that one can purchase add on cables to use these with balanced output DAP units?
I would like to do just that with the Cayin N5II. I have a balanced cable on the way for the FLC8S; but I am looking seriously at adding the A5 to my collection.
The other units competing for mind share right now are the forthcoming IT04 and FLC9.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back