LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 16, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #4,096 of 5,225
Since the LZ-A4 is now available in the US on Amazon Prime (through a 3rd party seller, but fulfilled by Amazon) I have ordered a pair.

Due on Wed.

Nice Snuffy, my predication is you'll find a filter combo that you'll love:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Congrats:beers:

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #4,097 of 5,225
Been listening to my A4's several hours today. Awesome buds, very impressed, and they just keep sounding better.

They are addicting to listen to and playing with the filters is fun and keeps them fresh. Lots of tips included to get a good fit.

Such a fun and enjoyable sound these have, great job on these excellent sounding buds!

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #4,098 of 5,225
Hey everyone, so my brand new LZ a4 arrived today from Penon audio.
Can someone please explain the ear tips to me? there's the black ones in the plastic slip, with silicon and foam, and then there are 3 pairs of black silicone's in the foam plate, along with 3 pairs of grey tips. And yet, none of them actually fit the earphones properly, it takes a few minutes just to get them on. Does anyone have a similar issue?

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #4,102 of 5,225
There must be instructions, coming with IEMs. You may want to look at them.

For tips, I found the best (for me) are KZ Star tips (they are less than a buck for three pairs on AliExpress).

In the included instruction manual they make a recommendation regarding burn-in. They suggest a total of about 30 hours with pink and white noise. One is for 20 hours and the other for 10 hours roughly, I can't recall which offhand . There's a very small area in the manual that talks about this.
I did this and I think it really only benefits the dynamic driver to get it flexing some. I think you could probably just listen to music and over about 30-40 hours you may notice A change in the sound quality.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #4,103 of 5,225
The downfall of the A4 is the included stock tips. They aren't good. Go aftermarket like generic biflange, KZ Star, Spinfit, Spiral Dot, Auvio, Kombi.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #4,104 of 5,225
The downfall of the A4 is the included stock tips. They aren't good. Go aftermarket like generic biflange, KZ Star, Spinfit, Spiral Dot, Auvio, Kombi.

Spiral dots work best for me so far, extremely comfortable and open up the sound with making it shrill. Spinfits make my ear itch after a while for some reason...

KZ Star didn't work for me at all, made everything sound really flat, but my ears are sort of in between the M and L size.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #4,105 of 5,225

So basically anything but LZ tips
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,107 of 5,225
I think the stock tips are quite good. They're just all too blasted small!

Man I missed my A4. Have been listening exclusively to other IEMs for fairness while doing reviews. Rocking my standard stealth setup tonight and it's freakin' awesome.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #4,108 of 5,225
LOL.  You getting some nice opinions on the stock tips.  I fall in the camp, that was not impressed with them.

I love the Spiral dots for my ears.  The wide bore on them really allows the A4 to shine. I did not like any foam tips which attenuated the higher frequencies way too much.

Try the stock tips and I would suggest look for the one with the widest opening and give it a go.  There are good number of stock tips to work with..

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #4,109 of 5,225
I think I tried a couple stock ones but didn't care much. I'm used to my go to aftermarket ones though so I'm biased.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,110 of 5,225
now the fun begins...

update 1: went from fidue balanced cable to now using the Penon sample cable. I believe it's more the power/impedance today's going to give a different impression sound-wise.

balanced: more mids quantity in terms overall presentation compared to the rest of the spectrum. I'll say "yes, more details" but I suspect it's the impedance pushing them more to the fore.

Penon cable + alo Rx amp: vocals, instead of the mids as a whole remain forward, while the rest sit well together. my subjective take: I prefer this presentation.

I agree with another post that there's more "separation" by going balanced though I suspect it's got to do with the nature of the LZ-A4 being a hybrid being affected. (grain of salt here: far from an expert in the field).

why no longer staying "balanced"? I have a really good iem dedicated amp, and aside its sound specialty, the volume pot is so darn practical! Anyhow, I'll be off to describe this "elephant in a dark room". someone else may have a different take. that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back