LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,391 of 5,225
funny thing is, I don't know of many others who get hung up on soundstage especially A4 owners. :S

some of us have owned/used other well lauded iems be it flc8s or sw3, I don't miss certain presentations as much.

brooko, judging by certain filter configurations, would you also assess the LZ-A4 being capable of delivering an "n" shaped curve being a bit of a chameleon hybrid?

I don't even know how to measure of test sound stage. Can someone enlighten me? I'd love to add it to my reviews :)

-Collin-

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,392 of 5,225
I don't even know how to measure of test sound stage. Can someone enlighten me? I'd love to add it to my reviews :)

-Collin-

hey Collin, have you been able to check out Flickenick's TOTL shootout? that's probably one of the most informative and well written thread about reviews and audio criticism in general. I believe he's written about soundstage and perception on the Headphonelist webpage as well.

here's my take.

consider a bird's eye view, and that you're pretty much a dot. on some instances the dot can be placed inside a box or rectangle, and in other experiences placed outside of the box at a distance.

even when placed in the "box" of sound presentation, you can either be in the snack middle of it,or perhaps most sound either come no past the sides or some have slight sounds coming just "behind" your ear.

now, this is my experience, my perception so Ymmv.The singer may either be placed elsewhere in the "box/rectangle". Depending on mid emphasis as whole (spectrum), female and male singers can sound distant, forward, or "just about right".People will have different standards on this.

I've had one of craziest experiences so far with the Flc8s/Shanling M2/Alo Rx trifecta: you get two layered box soundstages. immersive and holographic. If some agree and others are in disbelief, I invite them to try it lol.

Anyhow, before I ramble on too long, my wife beckons me lol...

lastly, you have Android based apps that can "mess" with soundstage giving a 3d surround feel too. "Poweramp" would be one example.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #3,393 of 5,225
, judging by certain filter configurations, would you also assess the LZ-A4 being capable of delivering an "n" shaped curve being a bit of a chameleon hybrid?

Well if you took the blue and the pink you'd be pretty rolled off  both ends.  Is that what you mean by "n" shaped?

-Collin-

Collin - one of the tracks I use is Amber Rubarth's "Tundra".  It's binaural, and because there aren't a lot of instruments, it is a very good test track for stage width and height - and also imaging.  What's more - if you check this video you can get a good idea for how everything was placed during the recording:

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #3,395 of 5,225
Well if you took the blue and the pink you'd be pretty rolled off  both ends.  Is that what you mean by "n" shaped?

Collin - one of the tracks I use is Amber Rubarth's "Tundra".  It's binaural, and because there aren't a lot of instruments, it is a very good test track for stage width and height - and also imaging.  What's more - if you check this video you can get a good idea for how everything was placed during the recording:

That recording on the A4 is very impressive. The spatial separation and depth is excellent. It gives a good sense of the 3-D feel. There does appear to be more left right spatial separation than front/back
I had no idea to watch the video to understand placement better. Thanks Brooko

I listened on Spotify and many of her recordings have wonderful spatial presentation. Not genre I love but I do enjoy some her stuff esp to due to the recording quality

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #3,396 of 5,225
I use similar methods with other live performances (non binaural) - but that is more for imaging accuracy than actual sound staging (I have one with Loreena McKennitt and another with Netrebko and Garanca). Secret is to make sure the video matches the actual recording

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #3,398 of 5,225
I use similar methods with other live performances (non binaural) - but that is more for imaging accuracy than actual sound staging (I have one with Loreena McKennitt and another with Netrebko and Garanca). Secret is to make sure the video matches the actual recording

Any links to those video/audio recordings?. I love listening to the stuff you have posted to better understand what I'm listening to in the qualities that they provide

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #3,399 of 5,225
hey Collin, have you been able to check out Flickenick's TOTL shootout? that's probably one of the most informative and well written thread about reviews and audio criticism in general. I believe he's written about soundstage and perception on the Headphonelist webpage as well.

here's my take.

consider a bird's eye view, and that you're pretty much a dot. on some instances the dot can be placed inside a box or rectangle, and in other experiences placed outside of the box at a distance.

even when placed in the "box" of sound presentation, you can either be in the snack middle of it,or perhaps most sound either come no past the sides or some have slight sounds coming just "behind" your ear.

now, this is my experience, my perception so Ymmv.The singer may either be placed elsewhere in the "box/rectangle". Depending on mid emphasis as whole (spectrum), female and male singers can sound distant, forward, or "just about right".People will have different standards on this.

I've had one of craziest experiences so far with the Flc8s/Shanling M2/Alo Rx trifecta: you get two layered box soundstages. immersive and holographic. If some agree and others are in disbelief, I invite them to try it lol.

Anyhow, before I ramble on too long, my wife beckons me lol...

lastly, you have Android based apps that can "mess" with soundstage giving a 3d surround feel too. "Poweramp" would be one example.

You guys are the best, thanks so much! Off to educate myself...

-Collin-

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,400 of 5,225
You guys are the best, thanks so much! Off to educate myself...

-Collin-

+1 to that - very useful to know what others are using as their "gold standard" for things like imaging and soundstage. Will be listening to those a little later on!

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #3,401 of 5,225
On a related note, just picked up a pair of FLC8s to compare against the A4 - anyone with both IEMs and a measuring rig have any good suggestions for the closest filter setups to compare between the pair in a direct shootout? Brooko? FUYU?

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,402 of 5,225
On a related note, just picked up a pair of FLC8s to compare against the A4 - anyone with both IEMs and a measuring rig have any good suggestions for the closest filter setups to compare between the pair in a direct shootout? Brooko? FUYU?

Start with Black-Gray-Gold. It might compare well with Black(b)-Red(F)/Pink(F). However this where most similarities end - at least for me.
I use Clear-None-Gray or Clear-Clear-Gray most of the time, although mind that these combos are vastly different.

Have fun. :)

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,403 of 5,225
Start with Black-Gray-Gold. It might compare well with Black(b)-Red(F)/Pink(F). However this where most similarities end - at least for me.
I use Clear-None-Gray or Clear-Clear-Gray most of the time, although mind that these combos are vastly different.

Have fun. :)

"clear.clear.grey." we so hear the same way!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3,404 of 5,225
Thanks guys. My default to start with has been red-gray-gold, so will be interesting to check the differences between the two IEMs in due course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back