LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,891 of 5,225
Interesting notes on the more "strident" blue fronts and the effect of ear anatomy and physiology on how we perceive sound. I have a personal intolerance to sharpness in the high mid / low treble bands, and while the blues can skirt it on some tracks, it generally doesn't cross the line into harsh or painful for me. Compare that to the PM4 or Noble 5U, both of which some people have no problems with but I find harsh in that frequency band on certain setups.

I thought the blues would trigger my sharpness radar, but it seems to be fine - just proves you never can tell exactly what different people find harsh.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #1,892 of 5,225
Just to make sure, you are turning down the volume right? When using Blue Nozzle the volume doesn't need to be as loud as other nozzles.

These are my biflange tips. Idk where I got them but I got quite a few

I liked with my black black configuration advantages of both - narrow and wide bore. Narrows are not that intimate as wide bores but more detailed but also tend to sharpen the treble to my ears. Wide bores on the other hand smoothen the sound. Hum, so actually my tips collection contained one pair with a medium sized outlet bore which I did not try so far as they originally came as stock tips with my old cellphone and I thought they are not a good choice for quality reasons (already slightly broken). But they provide by far the best neutral and compromised sound I was looking for with the A4.
Conclusion for me to buy other MEDIUM bore sized tips.

I share the link where I ordered MEDIUM sized bore tips (incl. double flanges):
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Noise-Isolating-Silicone-Eartips-Earbuds-for-Powerbeats-2-Wireless-CX400-CX500-CX300-CX380-CX200-CX350-IE8/32708045620.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.KH7YqB

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,894 of 5,225
Hello everyone this is my first post but not by a long shot my fist time scanning through these forums for hours on end, anyway has anyone compared the Lz a4 to flare r2a or r2s? Specifically soundstage, imaging and resolution? I'm very interested in these but wondering, since I own both flares, if it would be an upgrade or a sidegrade.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,895 of 5,225
Just to make sure, you are turning down the volume right? When using Blue Nozzle the volume doesn't need to be as loud as other nozzles.

These are my biflange tips. Idk where I got them but I got quite a few

Thank you for the suggestion.
I do turn the volume down as I am a low-volume listener in general. I tend to keep my music at around 1 to 3 notches out of 16 (4 is loud for me)on my MacBook and iPhone which are my sources.
I have to keep the volume down or I will blow my 52 yr old ears out. LOL

When I have turned it up to like number five or six, there are some nice details and improvement in the overall soundstage well but it just gets too loud to my ears. :rage:

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #1,896 of 5,225
Interesting notes on the more "strident" blue fronts and the effect of ear anatomy and physiology on how we perceive sound. I have a personal intolerance to sharpness in the high mid / low treble bands, and while the blues can skirt it on some tracks, it generally doesn't cross the line into harsh or painful for me. Compare that to the PM4 or Noble 5U, both of which some people have no problems with but I find harsh in that frequency band on certain setups.

I thought the blues would trigger my sharpness radar, but it seems to be fine - just proves you never can tell exactly what different people find harsh.

I tried the blue fronts a while back (only for a short time) and I liked the sound but found there was a peak in the upper mids that I couldn't tolerate making things like trumpets uncomfortable to my ears. I do intend to go back to them and try again soon. In the meantime I still love Red/R + Black/F and Black/R + Red or Black/F.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #1,897 of 5,225
  I tried the blue fronts a while back (only for a short time) and I liked the sound but found there was a peak in the upper mids that I couldn't tolerate making things like trumpets uncomfortable to my ears. I do intend to go back to them and try again soon. In the meantime I still love Red/R + Black/F and Black/R + Red or Black/F.

I have the same issue with the Blue Fronts ..just too sharp in the upper mids though I do like the treble extension. This sharpness-seems to thin out the instruments whose frequency ranges this falls in. With the Red Fronts, instruments just sound more fleshed out,more body and soul. Though you don't get as much treble sparkle-it's still there at a reduced level.  Great to have the ability to adjust these to tweak the sound as we all have different musical preferences and ears.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #1,898 of 5,225
Thank you for the suggestion.
I do turn the volume down as I am a low-volume listener in general. I tend to keep my music at around 1 to 3 notches out of 16 (4 is loud for me)on my MacBook and iPhone which are my sources.
I have to keep the volume down or I will blow my 52 yr old ears out. LOL

When I have turned it up to like number five or six, there are some nice details and improvement in the overall soundstage well but it just gets too loud to my ears. :rage:

and that is why you should use a dedicated decent amp...it will fill things out more at lower volumes...get a DAC as well if you can...MAC DACs are bare minimum for getting up-and-running...2012+ Cirrus DAC chips are just 'OK' but not up to bringing out all your A4s have to offer.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,899 of 5,225
and that is why you should use a dedicated decent amp...it will fill things out more at lower volumes...get a DAC as well if you can...MAC DACs are bare minimum for getting up-and-running...2012+ Cirrus DAC chips are just 'OK' but not up to bringing out all your A4s have to offer.

Thank you
Any suggestions on DAC/AMP that doesn't break the bank

Mind you I'm not complaining the A4 is easy to drive and sounds great to my ears at low volumes.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,900 of 5,225
misteral201103, thanks! Looks like my memory was not great.

Finding no filter to be a bit too messy so I went back to the black backs. I feel like the black backs tightened up the bass and increased the subbass presence. This is weird to me, as I would expect the filter to limit subbass. However, back and forth and that is what I hear, more rumble that is tighter with the blacks. Haven't tried the reds again yet to compare.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,901 of 5,225
Thank you
Any suggestions on DAC/AMP that doesn't break the bank

Mind you I'm not complaining the A4 is easy to drive and sounds great to my ears at low volumes.

Define doesn't break the bank? If you can go up to 200 bucks, the Xduoo XD05 is truly an excellent unit.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,902 of 5,225

Great impressions. I don't so much find the feeble harsh with the blue. I just feel like the treble is artificially shoved closer to my face and so everything just comes off with a bit of a strident edge. The chart says the difference in extension is 20000-35000 Hz, which I am pretty sure I can't hear. Even if I could, and those frequencies were in the mix, it would mostly bolster positioning and soundstage information anyway - not anymore detail. I don't find the black fronts to be any less detailed, just more natural in their presentation of the details.

Anyway, YMMV, imo, based on my own biology.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,903 of 5,225
Does anyone have the A4 and also the Philips Fidelio X2 or Fostex T50RP MK3?  For listening at home, which sounds better to you and which has bigger soundstage?

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,905 of 5,225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back