1) Red Back + Blue Front
2) Red Back + Green Front
3) Red Back + Black Front
4) Black Back + Red Front
5) Black Back + Blue Front
6) Black Back + Black Front
7) Nothing + Green Front

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #1,204 of 5,225
That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought about that.. Thanks! Which front will smooth the treble and still give me the details that the blue front does?

Try Green front. Smooths the treble but otherwise very similar to the Blue filter
Acoustics are so interesting... The Green and Blue Fronts both have no filter in them but sound so different in comparison. The only difference between the two is the diameter of the inside of the filter. Here is a short comparison from what i hear:

Blue:
Forward treble, thinner sounding, smaller sound in general but more air between instruments

Green:
Forward mids, thick sounding, big sound but a bit less air than the blues

Also, the treble is less extended than on the blues and there is a slight subdue in sub-bass with the greens installed. So far Red / Back and Green / Front are the most musical sounding to me and they have no fatigue at all.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #1,205 of 5,225
So i'm trying to decide between the lz-a4 or the dunu 2002j's which i've been offered at a similar price. Would anyone have used them both and be able to compare?

Hmm. That's a pretty good offer. Dunu dn2000j is a monster in clarity. What's your music collection like? I personally didn't find them sibilant but those that gave them up said they are too bright. Fit and right tips is important.

A4 is the easy going iem. Plenty of tuning options. Detachable cable is always appreciated.

Tbh, either way you win. Just tell us what you're looking for.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #1,206 of 5,225
Hmm. That's a pretty good offer. Dunu dn2000j is a monster in clarity. What's your music collection like? I personally didn't find them sibilant but those that gave them up said they are too bright. Fit and right tips is important.

A4 is the easy going iem. Plenty of tuning options. Detachable cable is always appreciated.

Tbh, either way you win. Just tell us what you're looking for.

Just looking for something to upgrade from my EPH100's. Music is mostly trance. Well for the same price would you choose the a4's or the 2002's? I'm getting alot of mixxed reviews from the 2002's saying they don't really wow people like the 2000's or 1000's

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #1,207 of 5,225
Just looking for something to upgrade from my EPH100's. Music is mostly trance. Well for the same price would you choose the a4's or the 2002's? I'm getting alot of mixxed reviews from the 2002's saying they don't really wow people like the 2000's or 1000's

I can't comment on the 2002s... I've owned the Dn2000 for sometime and certainly felt no need for any upgrade.

Between the Dn2000 and A4, which would I likely recommend to any lurker? It'd certainly be the LZ-A4 because of its versatility and super easy going signature and detachable cord. Dn2000 can last too with proper care (and Dunu does take care of its customers as well).

Never heard the eph100, though I did own the Miles Davis Trumpets, which were comparable according to Joker (of Headphonelist fame). If you like what the reviews said and you're still itching...trust your gut. I can say this much: I don't listen to trance but when I play my funk, the A4 really gets my mood and body to groove! Excellent Bass body and response, and the transients simply engages you to "feel" the rhythm.

A4 is fantastic because it really spells what it's all about - the music.
Anyhow good luck. If you end up with the A4, come pitch in your impressions and gear too (always curious me).

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #1,208 of 5,225

I had the EPH100s - thought they were fantastic - how very little I knew at the time!

Can't comment on the 2002s but I can assure you the A4s handle trance incredibly well. Soundstage really comes into play and if the tracks are mastered well (I've been listening to latest Beatport offerings and they are amazing) you really get to appreciate the 'out of your head' experience the A4s offer.  Bass is just as you would want it - impressive without overpowering. Highs are detailed but not sharp. I'm using green front, red back and comply tips (may soon try blue fronts again as it seems like the treble is taming a bit with use - this is a good thing in my opinion)

I have no hesitation recommending A4s for trance. Running out of the Cayin C5 and no need for bass boost.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #1,209 of 5,225
  I had the EPH100s - thought they were fantastic - how very little I knew at the time!

Can't comment on the 2002s but I can assure you the A4s handle trance incredibly well. Soundstage really comes into play and if the tracks are mastered well (I've been listening to latest Beatport offerings and they are amazing) you really get to appreciate the 'out of your head' experience the A4s offer.  Bass is just as you would want it - impressive without overpowering. Highs are detailed but not sharp. I'm using green front, red back and comply tips (may soon try blue fronts again as it seems like the treble is taming a bit with use - this is a good thing in my opinion)

I have no hesitation recommending A4s for trance. Running out of the Cayin C5 and no need for bass boost.

Oh yeah. I was listening to some progressive psytrance last night and a couple times just stopped and said "Wow!".

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #1,210 of 5,225
I think the Red / Back - Green Front combination and the NoBack / Back - Green Front combination is the first signature which i can truly thoroughly enjoy without judging anything. The NoBack / Black are just so perfect for modern music with a lot of bass and the Red / Back is just overall the most versatile. The NoBack worries me a bit because the Grill to the IEM is unprotected but oh does it sound superb. Big sound, big bass and just so much fun to listen to.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,212 of 5,225
  I think the Red / Back - Green Front combination and the NoBack / Back - Green Front combination is the first signature which i can truly thoroughly enjoy without judging anything. The NoBack / Black are just so perfect for modern music with a lot of bass and the Red / Back is just overall the most versatile. The NoBack worries me a bit because the Grill to the IEM is unprotected but oh does it sound superb. Big sound, big bass and just so much fun to listen to.

I'm a bit afraid of leaving the back off also and it did seem reduce the balance on the low end. After trying the black/red backs and green fronts, I'm back to black back/red front. The green front is just too mid forward for my preference. I do like the treble range on the greens though. YMMV. Happy New Year 2017!

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,213 of 5,225

No Back has a grill that is unprotected so maybe we could ask Mr. LZ if the A4 was designed so no back filter was "safe"?

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,214 of 5,225
Ordered them today, can't wait to get them 
biggrin.gif
 i'll post my initial impressions as soon as i get them

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,215 of 5,225
Just done some quick A/B comparisons for my Campfire Dorado review - excerpt below if anyone is interested:

"LZ-A4 – the LZ-A4 are the latest iteration of the LZ series of IEMs from the mysterious Chinese designer (known only as Mr LZ). They are a triple driver hybrid with a single DD and two custom made balanced armatures, with adjustable tuning filters in two different locations on the IEM shell, giving a total of 18 different configurations to affect the frequency response. These are way below the Dorado’s RRP, coming in at around $200 or less including shipping at the moment. Like the IT03 above, they are a very accomplished set of in-ears, and currently riding a well deserved wave of praise on the forums here, so I have included them for context. In terms of build and presentation, the A4 have an all metal shell resembling a car turbo, and are a fair bit bigger than the svelte Dorado (nozzle excluded). The packaging, while decent, is also a cut under the polish on the Dorado in my opinion, although certainly good enough for the price bracket. In terms of ergonomics, the large and pretty heavy housings on the A4 can be worn up or down, but sit a little looser in my ears than the Dorado when using silicon tips. The cable is a good example of an MMCX cable with low microphonics and a nice build, but again, a little notch below the ALO Litz that comes with the Dorado. In terms of sound, comparing all 18 signatures would take all day, so I have based my comparisons on my favourite two filter settings (Red back filter and either black or green front filters). The Dorado is easier to drive than the A4, requiring less power to hit good listening volumes.

Starting with the bass, the Dorado has a fuller and thicker bass presence, compared to the more subdued and lean (in comparison) sounding bass on the A4. Both drivers produce great extension and levels of sub-bass, with the A4 sounding more like the IT03 in terms of overall presentation there compared to the Dorado. Speed and definition are similar, with the Dorado just sounding a little crisper around the edges of the bass notes with its custom beryllium dynamic driver. Mid range can be brought forward or back on the A4 depending on the filters, but with the green filters vocals feel slightly more emphasised than the Dorado, and the black filters are roughly the same. The overall tone is again slightly less full, but still very nuanced – the impression of detail retrieval on the A4 far exceeds its price tag, and doesn’t leave the listener feeling short changed. Where the edges around the vocals are slightly further back on the Dorado, the A4 is comparatively more flat in presentation, leaving everything sounding very coherent. Moving up to the treble, the A4 has a crystal clear tone and excellent extension – it can sound thinner or thicker depending on the filters, but it gives a similar crispness to the excellent Dorado twin-BA setup with the green filters, with the Dorado just sounding slightly more “sparkling”. In terms of soundstage, the A4 has one of the biggest soundstages I have heard in an IEM outside of the old Aurisonics range, and is markedly wider and deeper than the tighter “sphere” the Dorado produces. It still retains great cohesion, and separation and placement of instruments feel similar on both IEMs. Overall, the A4 has a slightly wider and less sparkling sound than the Dorado, with noticeably less bass and overall fullness to the sound. The detail levels sound similar, with the Dorado pulling ahead in overall resolution, but not by a noticeable margin to my ears for normal “non-critical” listening. Like the IT03, the fact that a $200 IEM can come close to the Dorado says more about the prowess of the A4 than any fault of the Dorado – to be clear, the Dorado is definitely a tier up from the A4 overall, with just a little more clarity, more bass and body, and wins for me in terms of overall preference, but for the relative price difference, that isn’t surprising."

​Full review is currently in the Head Gear section if you need more context - basic premise is that the Dorado is definitely a class above for me personally, but the A4 is pretty close considering the $800 price difference! Also become a bit of a recent convert to the gree front filters (with red back) - nice midrange vocal boost. These really are an adaptable piece of gear.

​P.S. will try and get round to the IT03 / A4 comparison a few people have asked for when I am writing up my A4 review at some point soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back