LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #616 of 5,225
  Thanks! There's a custom cable maker here, and I might consider ordering a SPC or Copper cables. Thanks!

Make sure it is 0.75 pins and not .78 which would need to be filed down a bit. I think someone said they sounded much improved with a $20 two pin they got from an Aliexpress seller so that sounded like it fit fine as well. Mine was filed from previous installs so I had no issues.

Am I right in looking at the pictures that the A4 nozzles are more narrow than the prototype? I think I was pushing that change more than anyone :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #618 of 5,225
This is a very impressive comment and its drawing me in.  Just wish I could order and get it faster than China to US shipping times.

You can. I paid $15 for express shipping and got it in 5 days, China to San Jose, CA. Just let the seller know you want the express shipping.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #619 of 5,225
You can. I paid $15 for express shipping and got it in 5 days, China to San Jose, CA. Just let the seller know you want the express shipping.

Did u order from Aliexpress or directly from Penon Audio website.
From Aliexpress DHL shipping is very reasonable for 5-8 shipping time i.e. It was like $15

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #620 of 5,225
Did u order from Aliexpress or directly from Penon Audio website.
From Aliexpress DHL shipping is very reasonable for 5-8 shipping time i.e. It was like $15

AE. Yeah seller said he would use either DHL or EMS. He used EMS

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #621 of 5,225
  Red,
How would you classify the ..red/back...black/nozzle combo?
I just got these 2 days ago,I'm a little new to filters?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike

This little chart I whipped up should help get a grip on the tuning (18 combinations is a lot, trust me it made my head spin too!)

Just to break it down, the back filter essentially modifies the bass and the nozzle affects the treble. 

[size=inherit]Back filter in order of DECREASING Bass extension and amount [/size]
Front nozzles in order of DECREASING Treble extension and amount
Red > Black > Blue
Blue > Black > Green > Gray > Red > Pink

So Red Back + Black nozzle will give you the most sub bass with full treble extension (not as full as blue nozzle theoretically). After trying the combo with the song Fall of an Empire by Celldweller, I can confirm that is the case. 

For future reference, say you are in the mood for less treble just go down the nozzle filter sequence till you are happy with the amount of treble (Blue > Black > Green > Gray > Red Pink) and vice versa. The same goes for bass, if you want less bass (Red > Black > Blue) go down the list of filters till you are happy, and go backwards to increase the amount of bass extension.

Looks tough at first but once you try all the combinations you will find a couple that you love and mostly stick with that haha. That was the case for me anyway :p

This is a very impressive comment and its drawing me in.  Just wish I could order and get it faster than China to US shipping times.

I have owned a few so called TOTL iems in his hobby and I am not one prone to hyperbole but the LZ A4 is performing at such a high level it is about as end game as it gets. Just makes me laugh that we are getting all this at 200 USD (which is peanuts compared to what the big boys are charging.)

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #623 of 5,225

Hi Mike

This little chart I whipped up should help get a grip on the tuning (18 combinations is a lot, trust me it made my head spin too!)

Just to break it down, the back filter essentially modifies the bass and the nozzle affects the treble. 

[size=inherit]Back filter in order of DECREASING Bass extension and amount [/size]
Red > Black > Blue

So Red Back + Black nozzle will give you the most sub bass with full treble extension (not as full as blue nozzle theoretically). After trying the combo with the song Fall of an Empire by Celldweller, I can confirm that is the case. 

For future reference, say you are in the mood for less treble just go down the nozzle filter sequence till you are happy with the amount of treble (Blue > Black > Green > Gray > Red Pink) and vice versa. The same goes for bass, if you want less bass (Red > Black > Blue) go down the list of filters till you are happy, and go backwards to increase the amount of bass extension.

Looks tough at first but once you try all the combinations you will find a couple that you love and mostly stick with that haha. That was the case for me anyway :p

I have owned a few so called TOTL iems in his hobby and I am not one prone to hyperbole but the LZ A4 is performing at such a high level it is about as end game as it gets. Just makes me laugh that we are getting all this at 200 USD (which is peanuts compared to what the big boys are charging.)

According to the chart-the Green-Grey-Pink filters change the bass extension as well.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #624 of 5,225
A4 also has better bass than 2002 imo. Most reviewers can be trusted, if a product is bad they will say so. Just look at the Brainwavz M100 thread you'll see what I mean

Nice, but i rm there has been too much fake hype the unname, 4in1(not saying it is bad, tbh for the price i considered it a gem, but still....), the ying qt5 or something and many more others slightly over praised. 
But i am not sure if i should go for jvc fx1200, i have listed to it and i felt it sound deeper than 4 in 1 and way more smoother. However i am afraid A4 might be better than 1200 hahaha...
if I get a4 then I'll compare it to my fx1200

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #626 of 5,225
Am I the only one who likes to have at least 1 iem of each driver config? (BA, hybrid, dynamic) Are these comparisons of a hybrid vs BA/dynamic even fair or reliable?

I'm looking forward to FLC8S, iBasso IT03 and other 3 driver hybrid comparisons of similar price range.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #627 of 5,225
Am I the only one who likes to have at least 1 iem of each driver config? (BA, hybrid, dynamic) Are these comparisons of a hybrid vs BA/dynamic even fair or reliable?

There are undeniably differences between BA and dynamic and one driver vs multi driver iems but with all these advancements in technology is much better to compare sound signatures. And to anser your question, the above mentioned comparisons are less and less relevant. One example is Mee audio Pinnacle P1 which has single dynamic and sound very different than what is perceived as dynamic. Or Final Audio Heaven iems which have single BA driver and sound extremely good and full sounding with good amount of bass.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #628 of 5,225

Red > Black > Blue

@RedJohn456, thanks for making the second chart. It's even clearer than the first. 

From what I've read so far, most people prefer Red/Black back filter + Blue/Black/Red Nozzles. :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #629 of 5,225
I know there are impressions of A4 vs the PM4, but can anyone do a complete comparison between them? bass, midrange, etc etc... I have comfort issues with my PM4 and will consider A4 if it's really better.

I really don't think that I'll have time to do a very in depth comparison and honestly it's no point imo since the two perform in different tiers and there's not one thing the PM4 does better than the A4. I'll give you a short sum up though.

PM4 with gun metal filters:
The PM4 has fairly good resolution, clarity, speed, separation, soundstage width and detail retrieval. Where it loses out massively is in depth, 3D presentation and "out of the head" experience. They sound very flat in depth making the midrange (vocals especially) sounding dead and unnatural and also quite shouty with some music. The PM4 is not a bad IEM per se and does sound pretty good with electronic music to me but it's certainly no where near the level on the A4 and will struggle even compared to sub $100 offerings such as the Moni One, PMV-A01 MK2 and Blue Ever Blue Model 1200EX for example. As a matter of fact the sound of the PM4 reminds me a quite a bit of the Magaosi K1 I've got and ended up not reviewing because it sounded weird and I concluded it was something wrong with them.

Compared to the PM4 the A4 outperform them in every single way to my ears. The A4 has at least as good good resolution, clarity, speed, separation, soundstage width and detail retrieval AND it also has great depth, 3D presentation and "out of the head" experience as well as an overall fuller and less peaky presentation. The A4 does also have a lot more bass presence and extension, the bass is also of great quality. The A4 is also much more coherent sounding to my ears. In short it's a lot more complete, making it a higher tier offering.

And don't even get me started on the build quality of the PM4 since my pair literally fell apart on me upon first listening :wink:

Edit:
I really like the Lanyard though so will probably use my PM4 as Bluetooth IEM's permanently since they're slightly better sounding than the **** UEs I'm using for Bluetooth now.

Edit 2: sorry, impressions of the PM4 in the comparison is with gun metal filters nothing else.

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #630 of 5,225

Hi Mike

Red > Black > Blue

Hi Red,
Thanks for your reply,excellent info.
So,as per the chart,the blue/front filter ,with the black/back,gives out the most detail & SQ??,yet when I tried that combo,I ended up getting ,a kind of muddy sound?
I immediately went back to the black/front.
I will re-try the blue/front filter combo,and listen more closely.

Thanks,
Mike 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back