LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #571 of 5,225
  AudioQuest DragonFly Red
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-dragonfly-red
Other iems were also tested on this device.

haven't  try on my  schiit jotunheim
will try it tonight

I remember headphonia said broadly of red and black Dragonfly latest units..one is suited to headphones and one for IEMs...not sure which one, but their site mentioned it.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #572 of 5,225
  I have got my A4 yesterday.
The stage ,clarity  is superior to my all iem (i only have under $300 iem)
And nice isolation,comfort(not the best,Beat by ACS evoke)

But the bass is loose and no punch comapare to all my iems(shure 215,sony n1ap ,sony ex650 ,ACS evoke)
Changing black only change the amount of bass.Can't change the loose bass nature.

I am wondering this is  how A4 designed.Or I got a bad one?
Or A4's DD is too big for Aduioquest dragonfly red to drive?

bass test with this clip  "Turn A Gundam the Movie OST - 17. 月の魂 (Spirit of the moon)"
https://goo.gl/nnAdWy

The drum hitting can't feel the impact,loose bass connecte drum hit to next drum hit.

This loose bass is big cons to me.
I want to know is this only a personal flavor issue?
Is Tight bass  not a neccesary nature?

This surprises me. I think the bass punch is as clear and detailed as any other dynamic driver IEM I have. I do not think it has the clean and powerful kick of a BA-based IEM, but the difference is not night and day. It's just a different sound. I am REALLY surprised to hear you say the N1AP has tighter bass than the A4. What filter combination are you using?

I absolutely love the bass of the A4 and I think it strikes the perfect balance between boomy and, well, not enough bass. 

-Collin-

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #573 of 5,225
Not brighter. You get a bit more detail than the Red/Black but bass is tamed just a bit to help a balance and give more treble detail
Whenever you have a chance, I want somebody else to try it.

I spose I can try it, though I really just wanted to leave the reds in the back and blacks up front :)

-Collin-

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #574 of 5,225
hi everyone, has anybody used a4 on a plane? how much external noise do they block, enough to enjoy music in transportation? thanks.

Yeah, I've used them at a couple of shorter flights. Changed the back from black to read and was pretty happy with the result. I usually don't use IEM's on longer flights due to cabin pressure.

Hmm, not looked at that combo. Treble not too bright, or is it about the same as black/black with more space around instruments ?

Black back, blue nozzle was my first combination and it's also very good. In the end I found that combination not to be as lush and full in the midrange and treble as the black/red one but still nice. I can easily see people having this as their favorite.

Peter,
Do you mind if I ask,what are your filter selections?

Thanks,
Mike

Black back, red front for quiet environments :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #575 of 5,225

I remember headphonia said broadly of red and black Dragonfly latest units..one is suited to headphones and one for IEMs...not sure which one, but their site mentioned it.

Red have much more power.Maybe red is for full headphones.But the no punch issue only happens on A4.I use red for all my IEMS

This surprises me. I think the bass punch is as clear and detailed as any other dynamic driver IEM I have. I do not think it has the clean and powerful kick of a BA-based IEM, but the difference is not night and day. It's just a different sound. I am REALLY surprised to hear you say the N1AP has tighter bass than the A4. What filter combination are you using?

I absolutely love the bass of the A4 and I think it strikes the perfect balance between boomy and, well, not enough bass. 

-Collin-

N1AP has a big amount of bass but still have the punch.
but my A4 in any back plate the punch is really weak,even my 1 BA IEM(Acs evoke)has better punch.

I might ask LZ directly.I think I got a defective one.

I was wondering how can no one notice this issue.
Maybe I just got a faulty one

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #577 of 5,225
  Red have much more power.Maybe red is for full headphones.But the no punch issue only happens on A4.I use red for all my IEMS

N1AP has a big amount of bass but still have the punch.
but my A4 in any back plate the punch is really weak,even my 1 BA IEM(Acs evoke)has better punch.

I might ask LZ directly.I think I got a defective one.

I was wondering how can no one notice this issue.
Maybe I just got a faulty one

From where ( seller)  you purchase your A4,??? 

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #579 of 5,225
I noticed that with the Red-Nozzles the voices can become kind of uneven, even verging on sibilance, or atleast sounding kinda warm and overly bright sometimes. With the black-filters though the voices get very even, but sound brighter and not as thick and warm. Anyone else made that observation? 
happy_face1.gif

EDIT: I really think it also has a lot to do with how the song is mixed and if its male of female vocals. Female vocals really sound flawless but male vocals can get a bit "edgy". It guess its just nitpicking though idk :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #581 of 5,225
I noticed that with the Red-Nozzles the voices can become kind of uneven, even verging on sibilance, or atleast sounding kinda warm and overly bright sometimes. With the black-filters though the voices get very even, but sound brighter and not as thick and warm. Anyone else made that observation? :happy_face1:  

EDIT: I really think it also has a lot to do with how the song is mixed and if its male of female vocals. Female vocals really sound flawless but male vocals can get a bit "edgy". It guess its just nitpicking though idk :)

I feel the same way about the blue front filters but the red is perfect for me. I find the black ones to lose some air. I can easily use all three of them though but for now the red front and black back is perfect for me.

I think the fact that people prefer different combinations shows the strength in the A4's filter system. With other tuning type IEM's almost every one seem to end up with the same filter. The A4 offers several really good combinations.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #582 of 5,225
  I noticed that with the Red-Nozzles the voices can become kind of uneven, even verging on sibilance, or atleast sounding kinda warm and overly bright sometimes. With the black-filters though the voices get very even, but sound brighter and not as thick and warm. Anyone else made that observation? 
happy_face1.gif

Yeah that 'bright' perhaps slightly 'edgy' is what prompted me to move from the blue front nozzle filters to the red. It seems to me that the upper midrange frequencies-think the 3k-4k region is in better balance for me with the red fronts. Since this is the frequency region we are most sensitive to, I'm not surprised with the differences of opinion regarding the filter selection for the fronts. Just a couple of db's up or down at this range can make a big difference. I can usually stand a slightly elevated treble-in the 10-12k region or so but not in the upper midrange-3k region where it starts to sound edgy-to me. We all hear a little differently so it's great to have the option to tune these to our preferences. I'm happy the red fronts bring the midrange to my liking without reducing the treble range too much. There's no right or wrong-trust your ears to tell you what is right. Just my opinion of course and based on my equipment and music preferences-YMMV.
L3000.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #583 of 5,225
Black/Red is definitely very good. But somehow I miss the airy and brightness of black/blue. However, when I use black/blue, it's a bit too bright for long listening. So, I'm now using black/black. :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #585 of 5,225
Yep, this was my 73'rd review in here and the first one that I couldn't find a significant enough weakness to list it in the "Cons" section.
Yeah, I'm thinking of picking up another pair as well to have one balanced and one single ended without having to switch cables all the time.

I am loving these so much I ordered a second pair, these are definitely my kind of iems.  Like you, I'll probably have one pair with a balanced cable permanently attached to my pono player, it makes for a stunning combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back