Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 26, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,508 of 3,350
Here is the wav from that movie: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JUGlPlF1v58xvuFciPyBJPRkBoepPObc/view?usp=sharing
Shuts down my Lyr3 on 3rd second (relay goes off for around 10sec and then back on)

Recording may seem glitchy. However thats how its in the movie (in the movie the sound is simulating "interference") so thats correct sound.

Interesting. I actually have two Lyr3:s, one for home and one for the office, but now I have both at home (as we work from home now).
The older one does not cut off at the about 3 seconds mark, but the newer one does. I get the cutoff if listening at 11 o'clock or higher.

This is how the waveform looks between about 2.5 seconds up to 4.5 seconds.
Depending on the volume setting it cuts of almost at once on hitting the first dip, later in the dip, or even at the second dip or not at all.

Note that the waveform stays below the zero-point where the Lyr3 cuts it out, and well below zero too.
It must trigger some kind of clipping or short-circuit protection, that also seems to be more sensitive in newer units.

1590523202817.png

Could someone at Schiit please chime in on this? @Jason Stoddard ?

May 26, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2,509 of 3,350
I did send an email to them, just wondering if its only my unit :\
So far, any other music plays just fine.. except that movie piece (It has weird frequencies tho...)

Well, as I described in my previous post I can confirm it's not only your unit.. but it seems not to be all units either.
Please let us know what they say about it.

May 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,510 of 3,350
Interesting. I actually have two Lyr3:s, one for home and one for the office, but now I have both at home (as we work from home now).
The older one does not cut off at the about 3 seconds mark, but the newer one does. I get the cutoff if listening at 11 o'clock or higher.

This is how the waveform looks between about 2.5 seconds up to 4.5 seconds.
Depending on the volume setting it cuts of almost at once on hitting the first dip, later in the dip, or even at the second dip or not at all.

Note that the waveform stays below the zero-point where the Lyr3 cuts it out, and well below zero too.
It must trigger some kind of clipping or short-circuit protection, that also seems to be more sensitive in newer units.

Could someone at Schiit please chime in on this? @Jason Stoddard ?

Mine didn't cut off, although at exactly 3 seconds my cat attacked the dog and chewed off her front leg before I could stop her. Now I claim the cat and my wife claims the dog, so no big deal as far as I'm concerned. :)

Seriously, mine did not cut off. It has a new main board in it (replaced by Schiit under warranty about a month ago after a hum developed in the original unit). And contrary to some issues that have been reported, no headphones were harmed in the process. But beyond the weird noise at that point in the track, the Lyr 3 kept truckin' like usual.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #2,511 of 3,350
Mine didn't cut off, although at exactly 3 seconds my cat attacked the dog and chewed off her front leg before I could stop her. Now I claim the cat and my wife claims the dog, so no big deal as far as I'm concerned. :)

Seriously, mine did not cut off. It has a new main board in it (replaced by Schiit under warranty about a month ago after a hum developed in the original unit). And contrary to some issues that have been reported, no headphones were harmed in the process. But beyond the weird noise at that point in the track, the Lyr 3 kept truckin' like usual.
Ain't that some Schiit. I just reported you to the Animal Rights Board. The only way I will revoke my complaint is if you send me all your Brimar tubes registered mail. Lol

May 26, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,512 of 3,350
I actually have two Lyr3:s, one for home and one for the office, but now I have both at home (as we work from home now).
I wonder if you could hook up both Lyr3s, and use one for each channel. Monoblocks style :wink:

May 26, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #2,515 of 3,350
May 26, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #2,516 of 3,350
May 26, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,517 of 3,350
May 26, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,518 of 3,350
Thanks for nothing. I had my stuff ready to go and now I have to unpack and put everything away. :unamused:

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #2,519 of 3,350
Which DAC do you have?
Modi 3 is in my setup.. wondering if we have the same

Nope, I have a Bifrost2, which I connected to both units in turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back