Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,726 of 3,350
Ok I know, but now the Lyr 3 has been settled up and ok new amp, new tube and relatively new headphone, but What, there'snt any difference between the Asus Xonar STX and the Lyr, and no difference between the Multibit DAC into the Lyr and mi Samsung Note 8 Plugged into RCA with ab swapping... but but just dropped 1000 Euros for noting?
Setting all the sources at the same SPL produce always the same quality of sound, the only difference is that on Lyr I can go further with the volume, but it's really not necessary.
Boh I will give it a try in the next few month with oter headphones and with the SUPRA cables that I'm waiting for. Yes by now it's connected with some usb and rca standard cables i had around, but a new and better cable cannot make a big difference in my experience.

Here are some pics of mounting the Multibit DAC and building an italian power cable instead of the german one that I hate.

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,727 of 3,350
Ok I know, but now the Lyr 3 has been settled up and ok new amp, new tube and relatively new headphone, but What, there'snt any difference between the Asus Xonar STX and the Lyr, and no difference between the Multibit DAC into the Lyr and mi Samsung Note 8 Plugged into RCA with ab swapping... but but just dropped 1000 Euros for noting?
Setting all the sources at the same SPL produce always the same quality of sound, the only difference is that on Lyr I can go further with the volume, but it's really not necessary.
Boh I will give it a try in the next few month with oter headphones and with the SUPRA cables that I'm waiting for. Yes by now it's connected with some usb and rca standard cables i had around, but a new and better cable cannot make a big difference in my experience.

Here are some pics of mounting the Multibit DAC and building an italian power cable instead of the german one that I hate.
What headphone you are using now?

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,730 of 3,350

If there's no audible difference between the Lyr's multibit DAC card and the DAC in your phone, something is seriously wrong.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,731 of 3,350
I don't think so, everything seems to work fine, and the amp is amplifying. But no magic with the Sundara, I will move forward to other headphones.

Edit: Ok, always with the Sundara I've swapped to the TUNG-SOL, something really good is happening to the sound, more punch, more clarity, but concerning the DAC, it's just useful to have all in one, but I cannot feel any difference from The Asus Xonar feeding the Lyr3 amp or the Note 8 or the Multibit itself. Maybe it's just too subtle for me to hear it.

Edit 2: I can barely hear some crackle and pops like a turntable audio from this TUNG-SOL tube, is it normal?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,732 of 3,350
That does not seem normal. The Tung-sol is a new re-issue and not a vintage NOS tube. May be worth a quick e-mail to Schiit support.

BTW -- new tubes such as the ones Schiit sells, do change their sound characteristics over time. Typically a good 60 hours of burn-in (music with a several thermal power-off/cool down/power-on heat-up cycles) before they settle in and arrive at their final sound profile. Sometime it is quite noticeable and can move ones initial assessment from 'meh' to 'very nice'!! Give it time.

Sundara needs 100-150 hours burn-in. When I had mine, it improved quite a bit over time.

Can't say much about the MB DAC card (I have an External Modi MB) other than to say most folks in-the-know say opt for no card and get an external Modi MB. The difference is much in the external DACs favor based on reports I've read.

Be patient. I think it'll reveal its full potential in time.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,733 of 3,350
Lyr 3 Multibit card underwhelmed me vs Bifrost 4490, Lyr 3 Multibit card sounds thin and less resolving.

Also make sure to manually check for driver updates with Lyr 3 multibit card, i was stuck using windows default drivers and had no idea :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,734 of 3,350

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but if you are using those cheap cables that come free with any run of the mill Chinese electronic device, you are choking the life out of your music! Especially on the analog side.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #1,736 of 3,350
I don't care what anyone else thinks, but if you are using those cheap cables that come free with any run of the mill Chinese electronic device, you are choking the life out of your music! Especially on the analog side.

Agree completely.

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,737 of 3,350
Ok cables have joined the party. I have hooked the Lyr3 to the usb2 port on my pc (straight back from the mobo) with a this Supra USB Cable and to my REGA Elex-r Rec Out with this RCA interconnection cable. No difference at all for the usb, something really negligible for the RCA. So cables are really not the reason. I start thinking that my previous config was so good that this upgrade was really not needed. Anyway I will tell you more in a couple of month of listening when i'll revert to my old Asus Xonar to see if I will hear a some quality decreasing.
By now I can only assume that a good sound card do not need upgrades.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,739 of 3,350
Something strange is happening. Sound came and goes, and I hear a tiny clik like a relè switching on and off. Could be a overheating protection? But its winter , how can I manage Summer? Do I have to put a fan on it?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,740 of 3,350
Not normal at all and unlikely heat related. Have you tried a different tube? Unplug your HPs and all sources and preamp out and see if it does this with nothing connected except tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back