Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,516 of 3,350
^^^ Don't do it!! Whatever you do -- don't do it!!!!

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,517 of 3,350
I just ordered the Lyr 3 last night with no DAC but the upgraded Tung-Sol tube. I'm thinking it will be plenty good enough to sell the Vali 2 and maybe even the Jotunheim. I will have to post my impressions when it gets here and I can listen in my bedroom instead of the RMAF show.
It was a great upgrade over the Vali 2. Now find a great vintage tube to throw in there.

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #1,519 of 3,350
I just ordered the Lyr 3 last night with no DAC but the upgraded Tung-Sol tube. I'm thinking it will be plenty good enough to sell the Vali 2 and maybe even the Jotunheim. I will have to post my impressions when it gets here and I can listen in my bedroom instead of the RMAF show.
I wasn’t a fan of the Jot, but I have both the Vali 2 and Lyr 3 - love them both... Welcome to our nightmare!

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,520 of 3,350
Since you have both the Vali 2 and Lyr 3, do find that the Vali 2 does something better? The Lyr 3 specs are a pretty big step up, especially the new Continuity technology.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,521 of 3,350
WOW, what a thread! I finally decided to order a Lyr 3.

Schiit has just shipped my Lyr 3 with the MB DAC and both of their tubes. I also have a WYRD in the order. My primary use case is desktop operation connected to my 27in iMac. I also plan to use it as a headphone amp in my "big" system connected to the Yggdrasil DAC. I ordered the WYRD as mostly a reaction to knowing that USB is not great out of a machine with that big display and more.

From my reading this thread it seems that either of the tubes Schiit ships is a great start. I may flip a coin to decide the first tube to run. This is my first tube amp and it is exciting as well as scary. I am afraid to go over to the tube-rolling thread and read.

I will try some A/B testing after burn-in. Including with and without the Wyrd and with and without a "special" power cable on the Lyr 3.

My main headphones for listening are HD-800 and HD-6xx. I am looking at the HD-820 and a few more this weekend at a local dealer that is having a headphone event!

Oh, and I run Roon as my control software.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,522 of 3,350
Since you have both the Vali 2 and Lyr 3, do find that the Vali 2 does something better? The Lyr 3 specs are a pretty big step up, especially the new Continuity technology.
The lyr 3 does everything better than the vali 2 except for the size.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,523 of 3,350
I also plan to use it as a headphone amp in my "big" system connected to the Yggdrasil DAC
The Lyr 3 keeps up with a really good DAC. I'd be still listening to mine full time with some really capable DACs if I hadn't been distracted by an used, exotic, discontinued, expensive 6SN7 hybrid amp that is messing up with my listening :L3000:

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #1,524 of 3,350
I just find that I like the V2. I have my main rig downstairs (Bifrost 4490/Lyr 3), and on my desk upatairs reside Mimby/Vali 2, so no direct competition,
I just preferred V2 to any Magni...

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,525 of 3,350
The lyr 3 does everything better than the vali 2 except for the size.

Agreed....except the size thing is a matter of perspective. I've always heard that bigger is better. @Ripper2860 is in TX....perhaps he can confirm. :relaxed:

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,526 of 3,350
Yep. :wink:

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,528 of 3,350
Hopefully 'This' is good and not bad. :wink:

J/K. You are in for a real treat!!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,529 of 3,350
"This" is definitely pretty good! I had to answer a nature call or I would have elaborated more lol. Lyr 3 puts out way more power than the Vali 2 or SE output of the Jot, possibly why it seems to take a big step up with the K7XX. Now I'm using the LCD-2's. So far I would say that the Jot is more aggressive and punchy but the Lyr 3 is more musical. I'm not sure if I can part with the Jot, it has it's own appeal definitely, but Lyr 3 has a more engaging sound. This is my 4th Schiit purchase and all have been impressive. Wow.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,530 of 3,350
I hate to tell you this, but the sonic profile can change with tube selection. You'd be surprised at the difference a Sylvania 2 or 3-hole Bad Boy will make. It will pack a punch!! :wink:

(Be sure to checkout the 'Lyr 3 Tube Rolling' thread, if you have $$ to burn.) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back