Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Aug 31, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #1,441 of 3,350
Mimby (IMHO) not the same as the multibit dard, since you get two extra inputs S/PDIF coax and toslink as opposeto the card’s USB only. At least I don’t think that’s a wash...

There is that advantage. Plus, some have stated that they prefer the Mimby to the multibit card, sound-wise (I have no experience with the cards). I use my Mimby with an Eitr, so, yeah, I'd not be able to do that with an USB-only card.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,442 of 3,350
And a separate shielded enclosure. And a separate external power supply. :wink:

IMHO -- skip the MB card and go the Mimby.

Oh -- and EITR rocks, so leave the option for one open.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,443 of 3,350
And a separate shielded enclosure. And a separate external power supply. :wink:

IMHO -- skip the MB card and go the Mimby.

Oh -- and EITR rocks, so leave the option for one open.
Haven’t tried Eitr, squeezebox players output either S/PDIF... Which means the card wouldn’t work at all...

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,444 of 3,350
My Lyr 3 has a MB card in it.

I use the Mimby anyway.

It sounds better. Especially since they've upgraded the firmware to V2.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,446 of 3,350
I didn’t know that there was a firmware upgrade. Did they announce this somewhere? Any patch notes on what was changed?
There is a bunch of information about it on another site I cannot name.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,447 of 3,350
My Lyr 3 has a MB card in it.
I use the Mimby anyway.

I ordered mine with MB card, mostly because convenience. What would you say is the main difference between the card and Mimby, sound-wise?

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,448 of 3,350
There is a bunch of information about it on another site I cannot name.

How current is v2? When was it released? Would a mimby I bought from Schiit less that 1 year ago have v2?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,449 of 3,350
How current is v2? When was it released? Would a mimby I bought from Schiit less that 1 year ago have v2?
It's not clear when the first v2's hit the market, what I read suggested early 2018. The only way to know for sure seems to be to measure carefully with lab gear most of us do not own.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,450 of 3,350
Hmmmm. Time to send an e-mail to the fine folks at Schiit. Perhaps they can tell by S/N and have a process for upgrading for a fee.

Thanks!!

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,451 of 3,350
Hmmmm. Time to send an e-mail to the fine folks at Schiit. Perhaps they can tell by S/N and have a process for upgrading for a fee.
Their policy is to upgrade firmware when any DAC comes in for service.

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,452 of 3,350
Send me a private message if you are curious about how to tell if you have V1 or V2. I'll send you a link to the instructions on how to tell. Posting the link publicly will get the post removed.

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,453 of 3,350
^^^ I've seen the instructions. Simpletons need not apply. :unamused:

Mimby Firmware is in a socketed DIP package according to those that shall not be named here. If that's the case, it would be REAL nice if we could buy the V2 DIP chip and self-install -- at our own risk, of course.

I know it's technically not sold as 'upgradable' and it's not touted as 'user serviceable', but Whaddaya think @Jason Stoddard ? :fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,454 of 3,350
^^^ I've seen the instructions. Simpletons need not apply. :unamused:

Mimby Firmware is in a socketed DIP package according to those that shall not be named here. If that's the case, it would be REAL nice if we could buy the V2 DIP chip and self-install -- at our own risk, of course.

I know it's technically not sold as 'upgradable' and it's not touted as 'user serviceable', but Whaddaya think @Jason Stoddard ? :fingers_crossed:
I think he's going to tell you that you can break your schiit anyway you want, so long as you know it voids your warranty.

=P hehehe

Mine is a V2. I did the testing atomicbob advised. if you want to know the difference between the built-in multi-bit card and the Mimby, it's rather straight forward. A little extra staging, the slightest bit more detail, and a whole lot more inputs. Other than that they sound real similar. Tonally, they are almost identical. Personally, I think it's worth the extra 50 bucks. But don't get me wrong the built-in card is just fine.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,455 of 3,350
My personal take on MB card vs. external DAC:
If desk real estate and minimizing cables is your #1 concern - go with MB card.
If you're willing to have extra RCA cables and willing to have 2 components instead of 1 --> get external DAC!

BTW, depending on one's budget, there are much better external DACs (IMHO)...
Personally, I would get Lyr 3 without DAC, save a few extra dollars, and get a better DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back