Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #1,396 of 3,350
I see the Lyr 3 is a power BEAST! Crazy how much more powerful it is only SE vs balanced on the Jotunheim!
I plan on using the L3 for my hd700s as well as CA Andromedas which are very sensitive IEMs.
I see the output impedance at 0.3ohms is very low which is good but has anyone used the L3 with Andromedas? Does it work well or is it too powerful to even touch the volume knob?

Also I read through the Jotunheim thread and some reported slight buzzing noises with their units while others say it is completely silent.
Is the L3 effected by this in a minority of units as well?

I am looking to buy used so I will not be covered under warranty.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #1,397 of 3,350
Also I read through the Jotunheim thread and some reported slight buzzing noises with their units while others say it is completely silent.
Is the L3 effected by this.
Main thing to keep in mind is that the unbalanced RCA inputs to Lyr 3 can pick up hum from power cables. It is important to use the best shielded RCA cables (BlueJeans has great RCA cables) and keep them away from the Lyr 3 power cable. A shielded power cable like the Shunyata Venom can reduce hum further.

When I had a Jotunheim none of this mattered much because balanced inputs reject hum.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,398 of 3,350
Main thing to keep in mind is that the unbalanced RCA inputs to Lyr 3 can pick up hum from power cables. It is important to use the best shielded RCA cables (BlueJeans has great RCA cables) and keep them away from the Lyr 3 power cable. A shielded power cable like the Shunyata Venom can reduce hum further.

When I had a Jotunheim none of this mattered much because balanced inputs reject hum.
So it is picking up noise via rca cables from a separate connected Dac? So if I get a Lyr with the built in dac I don’t have to worry about this issue?

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #1,399 of 3,350
So it is picking up noise via rca cables from a separate connected Dac? So if I get a Lyr with the built in dac I don’t have to worry about this issue?
I've not used the built-in DAC version, so I don't know for sure, but what I wrote above was based on my experience with a separate DAC.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,400 of 3,350
Hey All, an album recommendation (Sterephile’s recording of the month), loving it with the Vinshine>Lyr 3 and Utopias. Even if you don’t like classical, this is a Symphonic headbanger :wink:.

upload_2018-8-13_12-16-28.jpeg

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,401 of 3,350
My Lyr 3 is quiet as a mouse. Seems like noise would be caused by the tube, if there is any. If you are getting hum, clean the pins or change the tube.

Aug 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,402 of 3,350
My Lyr 3 is quiet as a mouse. Seems like noise would be caused by the tube, if there is any. If you are getting hum, clean the pins or change the tube.

Same here, no noise of any sort.
I recommend a "child safe" Q-tip (they are fatter and do a great job - especially with the pin size of the 6SN7 types) and one of the recommended brush-on tube pin cleaning liquids or even iso-propyl, at least 91%. No abrasives.
I've noticed some grime on some of the NOS tubes (not really surprising) I've purchased over the years. Overkill? Isn't that what this hobby is all about?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,403 of 3,350
Hey All, an album recommendation (Sterephile’s recording of the month), loving it with the Vinshine>Lyr 3 and Utopias. Even if you don’t like classical, this is a Symphonic headbanger :wink:.

Another recommendation for the thread:
1ADC5D61-93E7-4B9E-ADA6-B9609E05CA48.jpeg

If you haven’t listened to a well done binaural recording and you like jazz guitar, this one is pretty amazing. Available from a variety of sources up to I think 192/24

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,404 of 3,350
hmmm i would be curious to know if your lid and base of the lyr 3 have proper grounding, ive checked mine and i have zero problems with noise over rca. some of the jots have had this issue with the new housing method.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,405 of 3,350
I see the Lyr 3 is a power BEAST! Crazy how much more powerful it is only SE vs balanced on the Jotunheim!
I plan on using the L3 for my hd700s as well as CA Andromedas which are very sensitive IEMs.
I see the output impedance at 0.3ohms is very low which is good but has anyone used the L3 with Andromedas? Does it work well or is it too powerful to even touch the volume knob?

Is the L3 effected by this in a minority of units as well?

I am looking to buy used so I will not be covered under warranty.
im sure its the minority of the jots with the issue, but being the lyr3 uses the same mounting method for the lid i would say it could happen. im sure rare though. if u buy new jason has added a step to specifically teat for this exact issue, used there may be no way to know and the warranty doesnt transfer. maybe look at the b stock on their site. i bought a couple things and im pretty ocd and they are spotless, this way you still get the warranty on it and those units im sure have now been tested for this issue.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,406 of 3,350
hmmm i would be curious to know if your lid and base of the lyr 3 have proper grounding, ive checked mine and i have zero problems with noise over rca. some of the jots have had this issue with the new housing method.
Not sure if you are referring to my comments, but in my case, the only (faint) hum I had at some point, in high gain, with volume past the 1pm position and quiet background, was caused by having the RCA cables cross the Schiit-supplied power cable with no separation. Even replacing the power cable with the Shunyata Venom cable I had around reduced the hum, but lifting the RCA cables to cross the power cable with 3in separation was enough to get rid of that faint hum totally. So, not, in the situation I described it had nothing to do with case grounding.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,407 of 3,350
im sure its the minority of the jots with the issue, but being the lyr3 uses the same mounting method for the lid i would say it could happen. im sure rare though. if u buy new jason has added a step to specifically teat for this exact issue, used there may be no way to know and the warranty doesnt transfer. maybe look at the b stock on their site. i bought a couple things and im pretty ocd and they are spotless, this way you still get the warranty on it and those units im sure have now been tested for this issue.
I have been thinking about that but the MB dac for b stock might not be worth it from what I’ve read. I am not a critical listener I listen for enjoyment. I actually ruled out the Jotunheim so it is between L3 or Questyle cma 400i used.

I am also considering the woo Wa7 fireflies tube amp since it has came down to $799 from $1200.
Has anyone had experience with both of these amp and dacs?

I do like that the L3 is cheaper even if I get the MB L3 and I can use SS tubes when gaming but the WA7d looks so pretty but I have heard the Dac isn’t that great compared to other dac amp combos in the price range

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #1,408 of 3,350
Not sure if you are referring to my comments, but in my case, the only (faint) hum I had at some point, in high gain, with volume past the 1pm position and quiet background, was caused by having the RCA cables cross the Schiit-supplied power cable with no separation. Even replacing the power cable with the Shunyata Venom cable I had around reduced the hum, but lifting the RCA cables to cross the power cable with 3in separation was enough to get rid of that faint hum totally. So, not, in the situation I described it had nothing to do with case grounding.
ahh. gotcha. i wasnt sure i figured it was worth a mention. that doesnt sound like the issue.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #1,409 of 3,350
personally after owning and selling the 400i between those i kept the lyr3. as far as the wa7, build quality wise it is very nice. overall it was a decent very nice sounding tube amp but imo much better can be found for not a ton more. i auditioned the wa7 a friend owns and its a nice amp. at 799$ not bad at all. i wouldnt say its worth the full normal asking price with the tube psu though just from my listening. and i also agree the dac is average imo. its not terrible but not stellar either. once you hit that 1k range a whole lot of stuff becomes "not to much more" though hahaha. as far as the lyr3 goes i honestly think if they put this thing in a bigger chassis and charged more for it people would still buy it. its honestly a damn good amp especially for the price. my lyr3 doesnt have any dac built in and i prefer generally not to have them built in unless its where i need an all in one. this way options are much more open to pairing an amp to a dac. the wa7 does look sexy as hell though lol in person.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,410 of 3,350
personally after owning and selling the 400i between those i kept the lyr3. as far as the wa7, build quality wise it is very nice. overall it was a decent very nice sounding tube amp but imo much better can be found for not a ton more. i auditioned the wa7 a friend owns and its a nice amp. at 799$ not bad at all. i wouldnt say its worth the full normal asking price with the tube psu though just from my listening. and i also agree the dac is average imo. its not terrible but not stellar either. once you hit that 1k range a whole lot of stuff becomes "not to much more" though hahaha. as far as the lyr3 goes i honestly think if they put this thing in a bigger chassis and charged more for it people would still buy it. its honestly a damn good amp especially for the price. my lyr3 doesnt have any dac built in and i prefer generally not to have them built in unless its where i need an all in one. this way options are much more open to pairing an amp to a dac. the wa7 does look sexy as hell though lol in person.
If I get a Lyr 3 amp only what is the common DAC to get without going crazy? A Mimby?(which is same thing as getting a MB card)
$300 new or used on a Dac would be the most I would want to spend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back