Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #575 of 3,350
Schiit dacs do not decode mqa, so it will be done via your pc before it gets to the dac, I personally find regular tidal hifi to sound best.

"I personally find regular tidal hifi to sound best."

Me too.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #576 of 3,350
Mine is definitely a T plate, and I think it sounds great also. Might be the plate structure that is making the difference like you say. Powerful bass and yes, a large stage. I thought it sounded just a bit too forward compared to my current favorite, Sylvania, which I thought separates instruments in the depth perspective a bit better and is a smidge more delicate in the treble.

Thanks. Good to know.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #577 of 3,350
Prolly tube microphonics...typical of most tube amps...

I agree...likely a microphonic tube. Typical of a tube amp? Yup, if you use microphonic tubes in them.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #578 of 3,350
OK, I wasn't focusing on MQA, just on moving towards lossless or hi-res audio. MQA is just the means to stream that.

While yes the mojo has an amp, I wouldn’t call it an amp, it’s just a quality dac that has a large following, we only used the dac portion of the mojo in comparison, running it through the lyr3 and preferred the lyr3’s multibit dac...it’s comparing a 200$ multibit dac to a nearly 600$ delta sigma dac

It's not an amp, and it's not just a quality dac, it's a portable DAC/amp. It's very capable to drive the my 80 Ohm Elear. Also it's not an off the shelf delta-sigma, its a custom FPGA... I guess the only way to tell how much difference the Lyr 3 would make, is to listen to it. I'm hesitant to rder one, because I'm very happy with the Mojo.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #580 of 3,350
It's not an amp, and it's not just a quality dac, it's a portable DAC/amp. It's very capable to drive the my 80 Ohm Elear. Also it's not an off the shelf delta-sigma, its a custom FPGA... I guess the only way to tell how much difference the Lyr 3 would make, is to listen to it. I'm hesitant to rder one, because I'm very happy with the Mojo.

As much as I love the Chord products for their Digital to Analog conversion, their analog section is not great. I agree it is really a very simple analog section to retain transparency. But what they lack is power, macro-dynamics and soundstage. Lyr 3 provides better sub-bass extension, macro-dynamics and stage compared to the Hugo 2. I do lose a touch of transparency and the total dark background once I introduce the Lyr 3 between the Hugo2 and my headphone. But its a tradeoff to get the aspects that only desktop amps can provide.

As to whether the which DAC between the Mojo and multiunit DAC is better, it can be a matter of preference.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #582 of 3,350
Has anyone used the Lyr 3 with IEMs? Curious to know whether there is hiss/noise.

It hisses only with sensitive IEMs. I get almost zero hiss on my Sennheiser IE80S as it is not too sensitive. My EE Phantom is a sensitive IEM and picks up hiss rather easily, when connected to powerful sources. When connected to the Lyr 3 (running stock TungSol 6SN7) on Low Gain, there is a faint hiss. It is the same level of hiss I get when I connect it to my Lotoo Paw Gold and Hugo 2. It isn't loud, but can be heard during silent passages in the music. Whether it will bother you, or not, is kind of subjective.

But I can tell you, that I love my IEMs on the Lyr 3. The amp provides a super spacious stage and dynamics that I have not heard on my portable DAPs. If your IEM is not so sensitive, then you shouldn't worry. But the High Gain is definitely a no-go for IEMs.

Hope that helps!

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #583 of 3,350
@JeffA , looks like you recently picked up a Legend X. Legend X is not as sensitive as the Phantom. So you should be good.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #585 of 3,350
OK, I wasn't focusing on MQA, just on moving towards lossless or hi-res audio. MQA is just the means to stream that.

I don’t think you understand what I was saying...I was simply saying me and a friend compared his mojo through the lyr3 back to back with the lyr3’s internal multibit card and we both preferred the schiit in said situation...I’m fully away of what the mojo is. And it’s a great dac...but when used just as a dac, I think the schiit multibit products are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back